PDA

View Full Version : Antiques Roadshow

just strum
October 31st, 2007, 07:47 PM
Did anyone happen to catch the ANTIQUES ROADSHOW Monday. A woman brought in her husbands Fender that was previously owned by her father who played in a country western band. The guitar was a 1952 Esquire and was appraised at $35,000. The woman had no idea and I'm sure she was about to drop when she was told the value.

Just curious if anyone here has any interesting guitar finds that they could share or maybe that one special guitar that you always keep hoping to stumble on?

I came across this site when researching the guitar and thought you Fender folks would enjoy it.

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender2.html

YerDugliness
October 31st, 2007, 10:35 PM
Did anyone happen to catch the ANTIQUES ROADSHOW Monday. A woman brought in her husbands Fender that was previously owned by her father who played in a country western band. The guitar was a 1952 Esquire and was appraised at $35,000. The woman had no idea and I'm sure she was about to drop when she was told the value.

Just curious if anyone here has any interesting guitar finds that they could share

No finds here, but I, too, saw that Antiques Roadshow episode and was floored at the value. I've seen Teles and Strats appraised in the $20K range, but this is the first $30K appraisal I've seen. What made it so valuable?

I come from a very remote, sparsely populated area of SW Kansas. Funny you should post this right now, Strum, as just 2 hours ago I was discussing this issue with my SO. We plan on retiring to KS in a couple of years and I figure that there must be a few of these sitting in old storage buildings or in attics on those old farms. The area of KS where I live is so far from the nearest PBS broadcast tower that the signal won't come in even with amplification, so there's a chance some of the people around there aren't aware of the value of these things. I figure there's one out there with my name on it at a farm sale, someday................

Dugly :cool:

marnold
November 1st, 2007, 08:28 AM
A member of my church does antique restoration. He doesn't much care for Antiques Roadshow because the prices always seem to be overinflated. Of course, I live in NE Wisconsin. Who knows what you could get in New York or Los Angeles where people have more money and costs in general are higher.

Having said that, I can imagine that a '52 Esquire could pull in a healthy amount of cash if it's in good working order.

duhvoodooman
November 1st, 2007, 09:12 AM
I'm still hoping to drive by a yardsale and see a blackface Fender Twin sitting in the driveway with a $20 sticker on it. Hasn't happened yet, though.... ;)

P.S. Or a Fender Twin with a cherry-burst '59 LP Standard leaning against it. I'd pay an extra $20 for that....

Big_Rob
November 1st, 2007, 09:30 AM
I'm still hoping to drive by a yardsale and see a blackface Fender Twin sitting in the driveway with a $20 sticker on it. Hasn't happened yet, though.... ;)

P.S. Or a Fender Twin with a cherry-burst '59 LP Standard leaning against it. I'd pay an extra $20 for that....

You and me both!!!

Its like how SRV got Lenny. If I found a 65 Strat in a pawn shop for $350.00 I would do anything I had to do to buy it no matter what.

just strum
November 1st, 2007, 09:40 AM

DVM, I wish you the best of luck in coming across that find and look forward to the post when you are fortunate to find that or anything close to it.

Marnold, I agree with the comment by your church associate. I figure the prices are 1) On a "best day" basis. In this example a person that has been searching specifically for a Fender Esquire has to be in attendance at the auction and 2) They quote best day figures to make the show exciting.

One thing you don't want to do if you ever come across one of the old guitars, is restore it or do a mod. I would say if you do that, about 90% of the instruments would lose value - that's IMHO, plus a few years being involved with antiques.