PDA

View Full Version : Flat-out cool rock n' roll photo

Nelskie
March 5th, 2006, 04:26 PM
My fellow Fretters: I came across this photo while doing an image search for John Mayall on Google.com (and I have Tone2thebone to thank for that). Anyways, it was just so totally cool, that I though I'd just have share it w/everyone.

The line-up (left to right) is as follows: Eric Burdon (Mr. Animal himself); John Mayall (rear) (Professor, British University of Killer Blues Rock et al); Voodoo Child Jimi Hendrix (dig those crazy blue crushed-velvet pants); a youthful Steve Winwood (Traffic's golden pipes and killer Hammond); and Carl Wayne (*see below). Killer snap, don'tcha think?

Anyways, I can hear a few whispers in the background, "Who is Carl Wayne?" Well . . . OK, me too. Anyways, I was curious, and found that Mr. Wayne used to be the frontman for a band called "The Move", and let me tell you right now, this wasn't no ordinary front-man, or band, in any sense of the word. If you thought David Lee Roth was a total wildman, check out Carl Wayne and The Move's rap sheet:

One of the most distinctive and versatile voices in music, Carl achieved major recording success with The Move, whose many hits include Blackberry Way, Fire Brigade, Curly, I Can Hear The Grass Grow and Flowers In The Rain, the first ever record played on BBC Radio 1 by DJ Tony Blackburn.

An exceptional stage performer and vocalist, Carl was The Move's front man and spokesman during their most dynamic and controversial years. Their live shows, while musically thrilling and accomplished, have been remembered for Carl's frenzied demolitions of televisions, instruments and stages with an axe, chain-sawing a Cadillac to pieces at London's famous Roundhouse during Fire Brigade, resulting in Soho being jammed with fire engines. So shocking and fiery were The Move live, that, for a while, the group were banned from every theatre venue in the UK. They even threatened Harold Wilson's 1960's English Labour government with the furore surrounding Flowers In The Rain's promotional campaign. Away from the controversy and violence, The Move scored top ten success in the UK and European charts with Roy Wood's classic songs and performed with The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream, The Pink Floyd and many more. Shazam, Carl's final album with The Move, was described as "a masterpiece" by Rolling Stone magazine and contained one of his finest vocal performances on the Wood-penned Beautiful Daughter.

So how about that for rock n' roll cred?!!! Did'ja catch that bit about threatening the government? My friends, THAT is rock n' roll. Carl Wayne is someone I definitely want to know more about!

If you want to check out a bit more about Carl Wayne, and his band of merry savages in "The Move", here's a web link:

http://www.themoveonline.com/index.html

Me, I'm off to Amazon.com to probe further.

Enjoy the photo!

duhvoodooman
March 5th, 2006, 06:02 PM
VERY cool photo. Whoa, there's an incredible amount of rock history tied up in a few pixels there! Thanks for posting it, Nelskie....

r_a_smith3530
March 6th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Wow, sweet find there Nelskie. That is totally cool!

Tone2TheBone
March 6th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Dig the vibe from those groovy cats man. Far out Nelskie!

Spudman
March 6th, 2006, 10:49 AM
When I did a show with Eric Burdon I wanted to talk to him about his past connections with Hendrix and the like but he was too busy hitting on the babes to make time for me. The man is a true rock star.

Katastrophe
March 6th, 2006, 08:24 PM
...and Steve Winwood is no slouch on the guitar, either (though certainly not in Jimi's league)!

Spudman
March 15th, 2006, 01:16 PM
I found this jem. Who Woulda thunk?

warren0728
March 15th, 2006, 01:31 PM
I found this jem. Who Woulda thunk?
i think that is a still from the dvd "The Rolling Stones Rock & Roll Circus (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000621484/qid=1142451558/sr=8-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-7768843-1104919?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130)"

it's a cool dvd and john lennon, clapton and keith richards play on the dvd as the Dirty Mac.

ww

Spudman
March 15th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Thanks. I hadn't heard of that one.

Spudman
November 3rd, 2006, 10:31 AM
Dirty Mac
John Lennon, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Mitch Mitchell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqWK7p8DX-Y&NR

tot_Ou_tard
November 4th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Thanks Spud. I've heard the CD before, but never watched the DVD. Too cool!

r_a_smith3530
November 4th, 2006, 07:20 AM
I was reading some comments for a "Best of" album for the move. They went on to morph into another group, the Electric Light Orchestra. Read the first comment at the link below.

Great Move (http://www.amazon.com/Great-Move-Best/dp/B000002UXK/sr=8-11/qid=1162648185/ref=pd_bbs_11/102-7788971-7406549?ie=UTF8&s=music)

tot_Ou_tard
November 4th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Holy f*&$ Batman. I loved ELO as a kid. I haven't heard them in forever.