PDA

View Full Version : Your First Concert

just strum
November 1st, 2007, 10:38 AM
What was the first concert you ever attended.

Mine was The Who and I was probably about 16 or 17 years old. They were playing Public Hall in downtown Cleveland and me and a friend were standing at the side of the building (no tickets) and suddenly this door flew open and this girl was waiving and yelling to us "Hurry, get in here!!!" We entered the building and walked about 20 feet to find ourselves right at the stage near Townsend. The concert had already started, but we were able to catch about 6 or 7 songs.

It is my most memorable concert. The group seemed larger than life.

Tone2TheBone
November 1st, 2007, 10:49 AM
Mine was Ted Nugent at 15. Got broken in real good.

R_of_G
November 1st, 2007, 10:50 AM
Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band. I was 14 or 15. Still one of the best shows I have seen.

sunvalleylaw
November 1st, 2007, 10:53 AM
Other than local classical or pops concerts in the park, etc, I would say it had to be Pat Metheny Group in Seattle in the 80s at the Paramount, or Bow Wow Wow in a small Seattle Theatre around the same time.

Algonquin
November 1st, 2007, 10:56 AM
The Police
November 16th, 1979
The Danforth Music Hall

Set:
Next To You - So Lonely - Truth Hits Everybody - Walking On The Moon - Hole In My Life - Deathwish - Fall Out - Bring On The Night - Message In A Bottle - The Bed's Too Big Without You - Peanuts - Roxanne - Can't Stand Losing You ** Landlord - Born In The 50's
http://www.scarlet.nl/~gugten/tour-p02.htm

You've got to love the Internet for looking up this stuff.

I was a big fan of Outlandos D'Amour , and Reggatta De Blanc hadn't been released that long.

I'm sure the Hall only holds 1,200 or 1,300 seats.

duhvoodooman
November 1st, 2007, 11:05 AM
The Jimi Hendrix Experience at the Armory in Troy NY, April 19, 1968. The material was pretty much all from Are You Experienced and Axis: Bold as Love. Red House was the highlight of the show, for me. An obscure band called the Soft Machine opened for them. So I got to see the legend in person at least once, during his short time with us....

R_of_G
November 1st, 2007, 11:12 AM
The Jimi Hendrix Experience at the Armory in Troy NY, April 19, 1968. The material was pretty much all from Are You Experienced and Axis: Bold as Love. Red House was the highlight of the show, for me. An obscure band called the Soft Machine opened for them. So I got to see the legend in person at least once, during his short time with us....

Not only did you get to see Jimi, of which I can never express how truly envious I am, but you got to see Soft Machine open for him! They may be/have been obscure at the time but I certainly know who they are, and listen to their albums a lot. Great first show!

duhvoodooman
November 1st, 2007, 11:24 AM
....but you got to see Soft Machine open for him! They may be/have been obscure at the time but I certainly know who they are, and listen to their albums a lot. Great first show!
Yeah, it was obviously an early version of the band. When I saw them, just a trio--keyboards, bass and drummer. No guitarist, a rarity at that time. This was quite a number of years before Holdsworth joined the band.

Big_Rob
November 1st, 2007, 11:27 AM
Ozzy and Motley Crue, Bark at the Moon tour 1985, Hollywood Sportatorium

marnold
November 1st, 2007, 11:31 AM
<butthead>You're, like, old</butthead> :beavisnbutthead:

My first was sometime in the summer of 1987 when I saw Whitesnake open up for Motley Crue at the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. I never have been a big Crue fan. I really wanted to see Whitesnake's new lineup with Rudy Sarzo on bass (my hero at the time), Vivian Campbell, and Adrian Vandenberg. I couldn't hear right for several days afterwards. I remember thinking that Whitesnake was actually too quiet for the arena. Crue was so loud that I mainly heard distortion.

Actually, I suppose technically my first concert was when I saw Victor Borge in Midland, MI, on July 10, 1981. I still have my ticket stub and program with his signature on it.

tunghaichuan
November 1st, 2007, 11:32 AM
Ozzy Osbourne at the Kansas Coliseum in 1981. I sat right next to the PA column. I couldn't hear out of my left ear for two days. :Dude:

tung

duhvoodooman
November 1st, 2007, 11:33 AM
<butthead>You're, like, old</butthead> :beavisnbutthead:

You're, like, right. But I saw Hendrix live, so, like, p-f-f-f-f-t-t-t to you! ;)

Jimi75
November 1st, 2007, 12:02 PM

I AM NOT WORTHY DVM - OMG

Spudman
November 1st, 2007, 12:32 PM
Donna Fargo when I opened for her around 1976-77.
The first one I paid for was Fleewood Mac with Kenny Loggins opening.

Brian Krashpad
November 1st, 2007, 12:40 PM
I have no idea, honestly. Something in the Jax Veteran's Memorial Coliseum in the 70's, those are all pretty hazy. Coulda been any of these: Doobie Brothers, ZZ Top, Fleetwood Mac, AC/DC, UFO, Cheap Trick, Nuge...

Radioboy950
November 1st, 2007, 04:39 PM
KISS, circa ’75, Detroit’s Cobo Hall, main floor seats.
Marshall stacks…pyros…fire-eating...blood-spitting .
What a spectacle!:Dude:

250Keith
November 1st, 2007, 05:02 PM
Ha, This is a good tread, How can us old guys remember that far back!:whatever:
I realy cant remember my first concert I do seem to think it was a day on the green concert in the bay area I think it was Led Zep and Rick Deringer and some other bands.
Rock on.

ted s
November 1st, 2007, 05:29 PM
I think my first "real" concert was The Clash at Exibition Stadium in Toronto, around 1981 ? Opened by Blak Uhuru.. WTF was I thinking, it was horrible, it was so bad, even the purple haze was crap.

duhvoodooman
November 1st, 2007, 06:30 PM
How can us old guys remember that far back
Thank God for flashbacks.... :messedup: :D

duhvoodooman
November 1st, 2007, 06:46 PM
I was trying to find a set list for this specific show online, but can find nothing. This, however, was the set list earlier that month in Virginia Beach, so I'll bet it's very close. I remember most of these songs being played:

4/4/68 - THE DOME, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA

Killing Floor
Fire
Foxy Lady
Spanish Castle Magic
Purple Haze
Little Wing
Red House
I Don't Live Today
Hey Joe
Up from the Skies
Manic Depression
Wild Thing
Are You Experienced
She's So Fine
The Wind Cries Mary

scorona
November 1st, 2007, 06:51 PM
Kiss - Olympia Stadium in Detroit, 1978. A local band, The Rockets ("Turn Up The Radio") was the opening act. Couldn't believe how loud it was. My ears rang for week after...but it was well worth it! :D

Justaguyin_nc
November 2nd, 2007, 09:08 AM
Black Oak Arkansas - Louisville Kentucky... 1975
A few of us sat with the long hairs
with our almost Bald heads from Fort Knox..
But we fit in within minutes...:)

Kinda strange remembering long hairs walking in one door..
Bald heads comming out the other..
oh sorry, thinking back..

Brian Krashpad
November 2nd, 2007, 10:13 AM
Black Oak Arkansas - Louisville Kentucky... 1975
A few of us sat with the long hairs
with our almost Bald heads from Fort Knox..
But we fit in within minutes...:)

Kinda strange remembering long hairs walking in one door..
Bald heads comming out the other..
oh sorry, thinking back..

Haha, reminds me of the scene in Stripes (an all-time fave movie) where the new recruit comes out of the barber shop with his hair in his cupped hands, staring forlornly down at it.

:AOK:

pie_man_25
November 2nd, 2007, 07:31 PM
darkest side of the moon, canada's best pink floyd tribute act, now what really matters is the last concert I've been to, which was today in school, and I almost got suspended, TWICE!