PDA

View Full Version : Glad to be aboard ...

djmcconnell
November 1st, 2007, 11:20 AM
Nice to be with the group -- I've really enjoyed the breadth and depth of topics on this site and thought I'd officially sign in.

While I've had a guitar in my hand since I was 9 years old, I really consider myself a newbie since haven't focused on it until the last year when my youngest went off to college. I started taking lessons as an empty nester indulgence, and I've just had a blast with it.

I started playing in my church's worship band about once a month and have become hooked hardcore on playing with other people. I play mostly acoustic ('84 Takamine dread; one of the Martin lawsuit models), but my son loaned me his MexiStrat and I bought a Vox AC30VT so have been enjoying that as well.

I look forward to chatting with many of you and absorbing knowledge and wisdom wherever I can.

Tone2TheBone
November 1st, 2007, 11:23 AM
Welcome to the Fret! :)

duhvoodooman
November 1st, 2007, 11:30 AM
Welcome to TheFret. Great little amp, that AD30VT; a marvel of tonal flexibility! We'll all selflessly help you pick out a Strat of your own so that you can return to one you've been using to your son. And a Les Paul. And a Tele. And a semi-hollowbody. And....

djmcconnell
November 1st, 2007, 12:18 PM
Appreciate the welcomes. My problem is that my gear lust far outstrips my available resources -- and the guitars I like all cost north of $1,500. I'm saving my pennies!

ted s
November 1st, 2007, 12:19 PM
welcome dj

mrmudcat
November 1st, 2007, 12:25 PM
Welcome to the fret!:beer:

sunvalleylaw
November 1st, 2007, 12:29 PM
Welcome! I'd like to hear more about that Takamine sometime. Woods used, etc. Hope you have fun here!

just strum
November 1st, 2007, 12:33 PM
Come inside, the show's about to start
Guaranteed to blow your head apart
Rest assured you'll get your money's worth
The greatest show in Heaven, Hell or Earth
You've got to see the show, it's a dynamo
You've got to see the show, it's rock and roll

ELP

Welcome!!!

Brian Krashpad
November 1st, 2007, 12:46 PM
Appreciate the welcomes. My problem is that my gear lust far outstrips my available resources -- and the guitars I like all cost north of $1,500. I'm saving my pennies!

Remember, buy USED!

You spend fewer pennies that way. :AOK:

They can add up eventually:

http://a2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/21/m_c80fa4f78e59c1051d272c60b5fd89f1.jpg

I'm a former church player too, welcome!

Adrian30
November 1st, 2007, 12:50 PM

Welcome DJMC, you're a pefrect fit here!:D

M29
November 1st, 2007, 01:24 PM
Welcome djmcconnell:AOK:

M29

Robert
November 1st, 2007, 01:24 PM
Welcome DJMC, good to have you here!

t_ross33
November 3rd, 2007, 08:59 AM

Oh, you have NO idea the lengths to which we will strive to infect you with acute and incurrable GAS :rotflmao::Dude:. Money is no object!

BTW, welcome :beer: This round's on you!

Trev

Algonquin
November 4th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Oh, you have NO idea the lengths to which we will strive to infect you with acute and incurrable GAS :rotflmao::Dude:. Money is no object!

BTW, welcome :beer: This round's on you!

Trev

Trev is right! (Be afraid... be very afraid)

Welcome! :beer:

warren0728
November 4th, 2007, 11:46 AM
welcome djmcconnell....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

Katastrophe
November 4th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Trev is right! (Be afraid... be very afraid)

Welcome! :beer:

Oh, yes. My MIM Strat purchase was directly related to GAS, started by this forum.

It's the funnest affliction you'll ever have. Welcome!:D

Spudman
November 4th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Hi DJM. Please enjoy our ramblings and pass the salt. :)

Guitar Gal
November 9th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Welcome aboard DJMC :D

GG

luvmyshiner
November 9th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Welcome! And stay away from Warren's pancakes.:messedup: :pancake:

SuperSwede
November 10th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Welcome!

oldguy
November 10th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Welcome to TheFret!

djmcconnell
January 12th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Sorry for the delay in my response. My Takamine is an F-349 that my wife bought for me in 1984 or 85, when we were first married. Beautiful brown mahogany guitar that looks just like a Martin (might be one of the vaunted lawsuit models). It's aged a lot better than I have!

I only just picked up guitar again seriously about a year ago when our youngest went off for college. I am having a seriously great time and started playing with our worship band about 9 months ago and it's been awesome.

I added a Baggs Element Active when I started playing at church and people comment all the time about the great tone of this guitar

markb
January 13th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Hi and welcome. Those Takamine lawsuit models are gorgeous. I used to have the loan of a 000-18 knockoff from that period. An absolutely beautiful instrument whose owner rebuffed all my attempts to part her from it.

tot_Ou_tard
January 13th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Welcome djm! I gotta visit the Light Side & get an acoustic someday.

djmcconnell
January 14th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I skew a bit more acoustic, but really want to get get more into electric too and become more versatile.

I'd love to buy a decent electric but can't make up my mind which I want more (Telecaster/ASAT-style, VG Strat, PRS Mira, Taylor solidbody, Les Paul). They all cost about twice what I want to pay, but that's life.