PDA

View Full Version : What is it you still want to learn on the guitar?

Jimi75
November 2nd, 2007, 08:24 AM
What is it you still want to learn on the guitar?
I know that some of us are running businesses, are married, have exhausting jobs and so on, so this eats up quite a lot of time.

If you had let us say 4 weeks in a guitar camp, what would you like to learn?

I was always a "loser" at arpeggios and tapped sweep arpeggios.
I would really pick this shred technique for me and let somebody teach me, although I do not really use it in my daily playing, I could imagine this being a great adventure.

How 'bout you guys?

Greetz
Jimi

Spudman
November 2nd, 2007, 08:29 AM
Sweeping for me too. A little more theory as well as composition.

duhvoodooman
November 2nd, 2007, 08:30 AM
Slide.

just strum
November 2nd, 2007, 08:37 AM
Theory and the access to a really good rhythm instructor - seems like everyone wants to be a lead guitarist, someone has to play rhythm.

Tone2TheBone
November 2nd, 2007, 08:44 AM
I wanna sit down and learn Robert's jazzy licks that he always displays on his videos and incorporate them into my style, and then learn a whole bunch of kick *** country licks, then I'll be set.

Robert
November 2nd, 2007, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the nice comment, Tone!

For me, I would be interested in getting better at composing and playing jazz.

Lev
November 2nd, 2007, 08:59 AM
I want to be able to play unaccompanied and people still recognise what I'm playing. Playing mini chords with lead lines at the same time etc. I hate being handed a guitar at a party or family get together - I'm like "where's my backing tracks?" :o

sunvalleylaw
November 2nd, 2007, 08:59 AM
Nice to see what you more experienced players would choose. Given my level, it would be all day and into the night boot camp on blues and rock fundamentals, both rhythm and lead, with jazz variations thrown in, I envision the day starting with clean, jazzy chords, scales and arpeggios with focus on technique and tone/clarity, and an end of the night "crank up the amph and blow it out with whatever you got" session each day!! A mid day run, bike or ski to move the body would be desired. :R :beavisnbutthead: :Dude:

Jimi75
November 2nd, 2007, 09:02 AM
Nice to see what you more experienced players would choose. Given my level, it would be all day and into the night boot camp on blues and rock fundamentals, both rhythm and lead, with jazz variations thrown in, I envision the day starting with clean, jazzy chords, scales and arpeggios with focus on technique and tone/clarity, and an end of the night "crank up the amph and blow it out with whatever you got" session each day!! A mid day run, bike or ski to move the body would be desired. :R :beavisnbutthead: :Dude:

Great answer! Looks like you have a fix plan in mind!

R_of_G
November 2nd, 2007, 11:06 AM
For me it would be fingerpicking. I am actually quite pleased with my right hand technique when I play with a pick, but I have virtually no fingerpicking ability whatsoever. I'd love to spend some time [if I ever had any] woodshedding my fingerpicking technique so I can play some John Fahey style acoustic blues.

marnold
November 2nd, 2007, 11:47 AM
Part of me would like to learn flamenco, but with my non-surgically altered right hand, I'm not sure that's possible. So I'd go with Jimi and Spud to sweeping class. I've always loved the sound of a sweep arpeggio.

aeolian
November 2nd, 2007, 12:22 PM
For me that would be jazz. I now know the basic ii-V-I progression and play that from several positions, I've also discovered that you can move from one key to another using ii-V-I and most of the time that sound good regardless of key change. What I don't know is why that is the case. I need someone to demystify that for me. And I can also use some instructions on jazz soloing.

jasongins
November 2nd, 2007, 02:10 PM
I'm with Just Strum on this one. I would like to really focus on right hand technique, rhythm playing in general, funky rhythm playing (think Isley Brother's "That Lady"). I would also like to put some effort into moving from knowing scales to really soloing. I'd also like to play some songs with a band.

Adrian30
November 2nd, 2007, 02:14 PM
All of the above...:D
But really, jazz impro, fingerpicking and slide.

Robert
November 2nd, 2007, 02:30 PM
What is all comes down to: HOW TO NOT SUCK ! :)

Justaguyin_nc
November 2nd, 2007, 03:30 PM
What is all comes down to: HOW TO NOT SUCK ! :)

Yup what he said!!
:deadhorse:

t_ross33
November 3rd, 2007, 08:47 AM
More of what I'm currently working on:

learning the fretboard
scales
applying scales to leads/solos
double stops & chickin pickin
hybrid picking
AHNTS (Applied How Not To Suck)

:beer:

pes_laul
November 3rd, 2007, 12:15 PM
I can play good solo's but I only know how to play in minor penetonic and dorian I would like to learn how to do arpeggios but I dont know anyone who could teach me ( I think this might be a good idea for Robert) :AOK: