PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Rig or Amplitube?

birv2
November 3rd, 2007, 05:08 PM
Suppose you were going to ask for one piece of software for Christmas? Which one would you choose and why? Purely hypothetical question of course.

To help me make my decision, please bear in mind that I play primarily blues. I also lean toward classic rock and nice fenderish clean tones. So if one doesn't have great metal sounds, that's OK with me.

Thanks,
Bob

SuperSwede
November 4th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Guitar Rig sounds a lot better than Amplitube imho.

snarph
November 4th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Well IMHO Guitar Rig is initially seemingly better that is it is easy to get a moderately good sound with little thought and it is fairly stable without latency
problems and you can do neet things with the looper feature like multi layer tracks.

But I think with Amplitube you get a more realistic live amp sound. And as realistic as it emulates real gear it takes more fine tuning to get the sounds dialed in just real gear .

I have both and use both. You can use both as a plug in on most decent recording soft ware.

Its kind of like the difference between good stomp pedals and multi effects units you can get both to function at approximately the same level but you have to go about it differently

snarph
November 4th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Heres a thought if you got the behringer guitar link its a usb port you also get

This listing is for a brand new Behringer Guitar Link UCG102 guitar to USB interface to jam & record with killer modeling amps & effects. Features include the following: --Plug in your favorite guitar and turn your PC or Mac computer into a guitar amp and recording system without the need for any other hardware --Enjoy immediate access to "Guitar Combos BEHRINGER Edition" from Native Instruments—the leading authentic guitar amp and stomp box modeling software --Package also includes Kristal 16-track music production and Audacity editing software --Works directly with your PC or Mac computer—ultra-low latency ASIO driver for PC included --Stereo Headphone output lets you jam with your computer and can also be used for monitoring with active monitor speakers --Variable-speed file playback function for MP3, WAV, AIFF audio files—perfect for easy learning and practicing --Powered via USB—no additional power supply required --High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction ensure long life Behringer makes quality products at a great price. Please check out other items - combined shipping is available.

birv2
November 4th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Heres a thought if you got the behringer guitar link its a usb port you also get

This listing is for a brand new Behringer Guitar Link UCG102 guitar to USB interface to jam & record with killer modeling amps & effects.

I'm actually seriously considering this one. It's in my price range and besides I've already got Behringer gear.

And Chrismakwanzikah is just around the corner.....:)

Bob

jasongins
November 4th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Beware the Behringer UCG102. I ordered this awhile back for a friend to use on his laptop and while it is inexpensive and does work well as an interface, there were some disappointing things about it that are not made clear by Behringer. The version of Guitar Combos that it comes with has no plugins, nor can you record the processed output of the standalone program unless you were to take a line out of the USB adapter itself. Unlike the real version of Guitar Combos, the Behringer version stand-alone does not "send" to recording software. Also, you get a demo of the three different combos, but at the end of the trial period you have enter a coupon code that entitles you to just one of the combos. You would have to pay additional for the others if you wanted them. Also, at the time, there were no Vista drivers, though this may have changed by now. If you have a limited budget, I would suggest stepping up a little bit to the Line6 Toneport GX for $69 (which I have). No plugins (they are extra) or included recording software, but you can record the processed output of the stand-alone program into recording software. It sounds great, plenty of amps and effects, I love the online lessons (free 30 day trial), tons of downloadable tones, and it is easy to use. You can download Audacity for free for recording. Another option would be a Stealthplug, which comes with Amplitube LE and some other stuff for $99.

birv2
November 4th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the tip, Jasongins! You just saved me some $$$. I was looking at that Toneport GX as well, so I'll keep looking into it.

My other option is to get a USB/midi cable and go straight from my amp to the laptop and use the Vamp software that comes with the amp. Anybody have any experience with that?

Thanks again,
Bob