PDA

View Full Version : VH1Classic

just strum
November 4th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Does anyone here watch/enjoy the rockumentaries that are shown on VH1 Classic?

Last night it was - Elton John, Pink Floyd, and The Who. I've seen the ones about EJand PF, but I hadn't seen the one about the Who. Of course I had family over last night, but managed to pick it up about a half hour into the show. There is something magical about that era in music that I just don't see anymore. Maybe it's because I am not as tuned in to the behind the scene stuff that goes on, but there just seems to have been a different life style that took place back then.

Anyway, I really enjoy these shows. Even if I'm not a big fan of the artist, I can sit down and enjoy the show and gain some respect for the artist. Elton John was very big in my younger days, but I never took too much of a liking to his music, but after watching the documentary, you have to appreciate his work ethic and determination.

M29
November 4th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Hello just strum,

I caught some of the Who and it was great. Lots of new stuff I had not seen before.
One thing that gets to me with that generation which I was a part of is that these people were pioneering this stuff. I spend a great deal of time now trying to copy their stuff and I think WOW these guys made this stuff up. Where did they get it from? This was raw talent that I just cannot relate to. I get fired up just thinking about it. Aside from the fantastic playing, look at the song writing that just came to these people, although they struggled with it and sweat over it it was just raw talent.

Now, I crawl off and pluck my gitar the best I can...

M29

just strum
November 4th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Hello just strum,

Aside from the fantastic playing, look at the song writing that just came to these people, although they struggled with it and sweat over it it was just raw talent.

Now, I crawl off and pluck my gitar the best I can...

M29

I find the parts about the writing some of the most interesting parts of the show. When they talk about the things going on during the writing and the modes or moods Peter Townsend would go into when he was writing Tommy and Who's Next was just great.

You see and hear new information about went on between Pete and Roger. The friction that later is realized made the music special. Same applies to Bernie and Elton. You look at some of the show footage, both new and old and you have to be wowed by the material and performance.

Then again, maybe it's because I grew up in that era. However, my 18 year old son has been listening to the Who, Beatles, early Stones, Hendrix and others from the 60's and early 70's since he was about 12, so I think that says a lot about the music.

Radioboy950
November 4th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Yep...caught the Who special last night. It was tremendous.

just strum
November 4th, 2007, 12:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5LLqE

I could have sworn I found instructions on how to embed the youtube clips on here, but now I can't find them - oh well, to you Who fans I've attached a clip.

I got to see them perform this live and it's a concert event I will always remember.

M29
November 4th, 2007, 12:40 PM
What is that on Entwistle's mic stand, water bottles? I didn't think they had them back then, I don't remember them like that? It is not some sort of effect is it?

M29

ted s
November 4th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Great song, not sure what the purpose of Pete placing his guitar nicely on the stand at the end though :messedup: .. big fan of the band, not the guitar smashing though

Algonquin
November 4th, 2007, 01:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5LLqE

I could have sworn I found instructions on how to embed the youtube clips on here, but now I can't find them - oh well, to you Who fans I've attached a clip.

I got to see them perform this live and it's a concert event I will always remember.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4050

Ask and you shall recieve...

:beer:

just strum
November 4th, 2007, 02:55 PM
What is that on Entwistle's mic stand, water bottles? I didn't think they had them back then, I don't remember them like that? It is not some sort of effect is it?

M29

A: Special Effects
B: Large snuff containers
C: Water bottles

JWpz2OYf1QU

Great song, not sure what the purpose of Pete placing his guitar nicely on the stand at the end though :messedup: .. big fan of the band, not the guitar smashing though

I noticed him putting it on the stand and thought it was odd. The whole smashing of instruments was their "thing" when they first started and everyone got excited at the grand finale. I would like to have all the guitars he smashed.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4050

Ask and you shall recieve...

:beer:

Thanks.

ted s
November 4th, 2007, 02:59 PM
yes, unfortuneately wasn't it the "special effects" container contents that killed mim ?

just strum
November 4th, 2007, 03:07 PM
yes, unfortuneately wasn't it the "special effects" container contents that killed mim ?

Yep, and he appeared to be the straightest one of the bunch.

duhvoodooman
November 4th, 2007, 03:09 PM
I only saw The Who live one time--Tanglewood Music Shed in Lenox MA, about an hour from Albany, on Aug. 12, 1969. There's a description of the show HERE (http://www.thewholive.de/details/index.php?id=779&Tracklisting=&GroupID=1&Tag=&Monat=&Jahr=1969&Stadt=&Halle=&LandID=0&StateID=0). They were on a triple bill between B.B. King, who opened, and Jefferson Airplane, who headlined the show. This was when they were doing the whole Tommy rock opera as the core of their show.

I still remember Daltrey's jacket with leather fringe about two feet long hanging from the sleeves and whipping all over the place as he would do his famous microphone twirls & throws. I think I remember Townshend wearing a white jump suit, but I'm not sure of that. I remember they had a lot more energy and crowd reaction than the Airplane did. They were only in the US for two shows--this one, and four days later, they played at some hippie festival held in Bethel, NY.... ;)

just strum
November 4th, 2007, 03:13 PM
I only saw The Who live one time--Tanglewood Music Shed in Lenox MA, about an hour from Albany, on Aug. 12, 1969. There's a description of the show HERE (http://www.thewholive.de/details/index.php?id=779&Tracklisting=&GroupID=1&Tag=&Monat=&Jahr=1969&Stadt=&Halle=&LandID=0&StateID=0). and four days later, they played at some hippie festival held in Bethel, NY.... ;)

Damn hippies had no money, probably no one showed up:D

sunvalleylaw
November 4th, 2007, 03:39 PM
I remember back in the day when I thought VH-1 was for whiny baby boomer yuppies. :D That was a long time ago. I like those shows when I can see them, but we don't have extended cable at all so I don't get to see them. Looks like good stuff! Thanks for the Who link too. :beer:

Katastrophe
November 4th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I watch VH1 Classic all the time! Some good documentaries, like "Classic Albums," and I watch reruns of "The Old Grey Whistle Test" every chance I get. Good stuff, I tell ya!:AOK:

stingx
November 5th, 2007, 06:43 PM
I used to watch VH1Classic religiously but haven't turned to it in a very long time since I started getting RAVEHD on my HD Cable. I love the concerts on there and LOVE watch the show Later With Jools Holland.

Tone2TheBone
November 6th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I saw an Aerosmith one they did once and that was really interesting. I'm pretty sure it was a VH1 thing.