PDA

View Full Version : Greatest American Band?

marnold
November 5th, 2007, 11:03 AM
You may have seen the ads for the new Eagles album, calling them the "greatest American band." My friend and I grimaced simultaneously at that suggestion. I really can't stand the Eagles, to be honest. If Joe Walsh hadn't joined they would have become a veritable black hole of pretentiousness. There are very few bands that will have me reaching for the channel changer on my radio faster than an Eagles song. Or a Don Henley solo song. Nevertheless, I suppose I have to grudgingly accept that they would be in the conversation.

So we tried to come up with an alternative. He suggested Metallica. I thought that was an interesting suggestion, especially given that they are a pure metal band. I countered with Kiss. They've been around forever, sold a ton of records, and put on the best show in the business according to many. I say this despite the fact that I am not a member of the Kiss Army by any means. He countered again with Van Halen. I also mentioned Aerosmith.

The more we talked, the more we seemed to think either Kiss or Van Halen, but we both thought that a closer look at Motown would be necessary too. Having said that, most Motown groups weren't bands per se, but individual singers or singing groups.

I'd be interested to hear what others think. It's funny that if you think of non-American bands, a ton come to mind: The Beatles, the Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who, etc. With purely American bands, it becomes harder.

Robert
November 5th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Easy answer: Twisted Sister. :D

[this is a joke] :cool:

Spudman
November 5th, 2007, 11:32 AM
KISS, Alice Cooper or Aerosmith. Nobody else has the longevity.

duhvoodooman
November 5th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, hands down.

Robert
November 5th, 2007, 11:34 AM
USATODAY says it's Pearl Jam. :whatever:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/popcandy/2005-07-05-pop-candy_x.htm

Big_Rob
November 5th, 2007, 11:46 AM
http://www.powerpage.org/images/steal_your_face.jpg

Justaguyin_nc
November 5th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Grand Funk RailRoad...

R_of_G
November 5th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Off the top of my head, I'd suggest The Allman Brothers Band. Innovation, classic songs, stellar musicians, longevity...

Otherwise, I'd say that [for me] the answer is John Zorn's Naked City. This "turn-on-a-dime" all-star band can and does play in every style possible, often changing from one to the other in an instant. I'd actually have named them 1st before the ABB, but I figured (a) few people know who Naked City is, and (b) with the lineup of this band, it's a bit unfair. The band is John Zorn - sax, Bill Frisell - guitar, Fred Frith - bass, Joey Baron - drums, Wayne Horvitz - organ, piano, keys and Yamatsuka Eye/Mike Patton - vocals. No offense to other bands and their musicians, but when you take these heavyweights of the NY downtown scene and make one band out them, any comparisons to other bands become like watching the Globetrotters play the Generals.

marnold
November 5th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, hands down.
Yeah, Bruce came up later in our conversation as well. I guess the funniest part about this is that as soon as we asked the question, we had to stop and think about it for a little while. It wasn't as simple as saying, "The Beatles."

duhvoodooman
November 5th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Off the top of my head, I'd suggest The Allman Brothers Band. Innovation, classic songs, stellar musicians, longevity...
That's a worthy nominee, too, G-man! :AOK:

helliott
November 5th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I'd say Los Lobos has to be part of the discussion. What about ZZ Top?

R_of_G
November 5th, 2007, 12:24 PM
this one really has me thinking [excellent question Marnold]... on influence alone, I'd have to nominate The MC5, The Stooges and The Velvet Underground. I hesitate to think of how much great music wouldn't have been made if these 3 bands didn't exist and exert the influence they did.

Also, if jazz bands count, both of Miles Davis 1960's quintets would vault to the top of the list [particularly the latter with Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter]. If jazz bands don't count, I'd still suggest that the band Miles assembled to record "A Tribute to Jack Johnson" was not a jazz band, but a rock band.

Others that have crossed my mind as reasonable answers to this question... The James Brown Band, Booker T. & The MG's, and The Meters. Along with Funkadelic, these represent the most frequently sampled artists in the world. The Meters and The MG's appear as backing bands on so many artists records that their influence is hard to overestimate. Also, Marnold mentioned the Motown acts. While it is true that most of these acts were singers or singing groups, the musicians for all of these records were mostly the same group known as The Funk Brothers. They def deserve a mention, as I find it hard to believe any bass player that picked up the instrument after the Motown era wasn't influenced in some way by James Jamerson.

R_of_G
November 5th, 2007, 12:49 PM
USATODAY says it's Pearl Jam. :whatever:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/popcandy/2005-07-05-pop-candy_x.htm

Interesting, because Pearl Jam says it's the Ramones. Eddie Vedder often introduces PJ's cover of "I Believe in Miracles" as being by "the greatest American band of all time, the Ramones":Dude:

Adrian30
November 5th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Mothers of Invention.

marnold
November 5th, 2007, 01:16 PM
From my posts in other similar threads, it probably would be good to give my thoughts on what I think "greatest" would mean:
Longevity: Peter Frampton (not American, I know) had one HUGE album that basically made the live album a part of every bands discography, but that was pretty much it.
Influence: How many other bands have taken bits or pieces from them?
Popularity: I don't think this is necessarily the same as "pop" but to be the greatest, I think the average American should know who you are.
Live show: I'm not saying that you need to put on a Kiss extravaganza, but would someone be willing to pony up the cash to see you and leave blown away? I think this would preclude a band like Steely Dan that was predominately (although not exclusively) a recording band and not a touring one. Actually, they were two guys and some studio musicians.
Sound: By this I mean when one of your songs comes on the radio, do you immediately know who it is? E.g. Nobody sounds like Bruce Springsteen (although John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band tried).
Timelessness: Does the band transcend time, eras, music styles. E.g. The Beatles songs (both their pop hits and more psychedelic stuff) seem to have as much impact today as they did when they were first released, whereas the Bee Gees are forever tied to disco and the 70s.

Upon rereading my list, I suppose that the Eagles fit all of this criteria. I suppose I could add another, far more subjective criterion:
Do I hate them and all they represent? :)

birv2
November 5th, 2007, 01:38 PM
The Band did all kinds of American music (folk, ragtime, country, etc.). Even though 4/5 of the band was Canadian!

I always feel like they were somehow recording during the Civil War when I listen to their stuff. But their sound is so American.

:)

Bob

Iago
November 5th, 2007, 02:00 PM
not a "band"..

Bob Dylan

R_of_G
November 5th, 2007, 02:12 PM
not a "band"..

Bob Dylan

I had thought about mentioning Dylan as well, but it begs the question of "with which lineup?" Dylan went through as many band members as Spinal Tap.

SuperSwede
November 5th, 2007, 02:24 PM
I had thought about mentioning Dylan as well, but it begs the question of "with which lineup?" Dylan went through as many band members as Spinal Tap.

Best lineup must be on "Under the red sky" ! How about Elton on the piano and Slash/SRV/Jimmie Vaughan on guitars!

Amazing album btw!

marnold
November 5th, 2007, 02:39 PM
To my knowledge, though, very few of his drummers technically exploded.

Big_Rob
November 5th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Its impossible to have just one greatest American band

While Im sticking to my guns about the Grateful Dead being #1, you could also go back in musical history and say that Cab Calloways orchestra was awesome or Lynyrd Skynryd or SRV and Double Trouble or Dean Martin or Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys or everyone could just agree with my POV and give it to Jerry and the boys :rotflmao:

R_of_G
November 5th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Its impossible to have just one greatest American band

While Im sticking to my guns about the Grateful Dead being #1, you could also go back in musical history and say that Cab Calloways orchestra was awesome or Lynyrd Skynryd or SRV and Double Trouble or Dean Martin or Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys or everyone could just agree with my POV and give it to Jerry and the boys :rotflmao:

Linguistically, I'd say it's impossible to have more than one "greatest" as greatest suggests a singular entity. :rotflmao:

That said, I agree with you, "American" music encompasses such a long time frame and so many different and incomparable genres that it is not possible to achieve a consensus #1 pick. By the criteria Marnold listed, I'd say Rob has a strong case for the Dead.

Jampy
November 5th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Ummm..I think your forgetting

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/worst-album-covers/100-1.jpg

Robert
November 5th, 2007, 05:51 PM
I don't see the problem with mentioning the Eagles for this topic? They sure have had some huge success over the years and written some great songs.

just strum
November 5th, 2007, 06:03 PM
They are not my style - but you want American - The Beach Boys

A number of hits, longevity, huge radio play,....

they have everything marnold notes

Longevity
Influence
Popularity
Sound
Timelessness

tjcurtin1
November 5th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Jeez, Jampy, where do you get this stuff!

With the accent on 'American', I always think of Credence Clearwater Revival as having had a deeply rooted American sound - in the same kind of way (even if musically quite different) as Springsteen and the Dead - and thought they deserved a mention.

Spudman
November 5th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Who is still together?

Beach Boys? No
Eagles? Not all original members.
Skynyrd? Not around.
The Dead? Not around.
Dylan? Not original.
Elton John? Not American.
Frampton? Not original members.
The MC5? Not original, not together.
The Stooges? Not original members.
The Velvet Underground? Not together, not original.
Allman Bros? Not original.
Springsteen? Not original.
Kiss? Not original.
Alice Cooper? Not original.
Aerosmith? Not original.

ZZ Top = original members.

Iago
November 5th, 2007, 09:57 PM
I was thinking about the Dead too.. but yeah.. not all them are around anymore..

what you guys think about CSN&Y?? or even Mr. Young and Crazy Horse?

wingsdad
November 5th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.
30+ years of guitar-based American rock n' roll.
With American guitars by Rickenbacker, Fender & Gibson.

Jampy
November 6th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Jeez, Jampy, where do you get this stuff!

With the accent on 'American', I always think of Credence Clearwater Revival as having had a deeply rooted American sound - in the same kind of way (even if musically quite different) as Springsteen and the Dead - and thought they deserved a mention.

Ah you know, I stumble across this stuff looking for the meaning of life..:D

But to be serious I would have to add Bill Haley & The Comets to the list, they may not be the "greatest" but they did alot to change and forum modern "rock & roll" as we know it..

:AOK:

Robert
November 6th, 2007, 06:46 AM
I was thinking about the Dead too.. but yeah.. not all them are around anymore..

Neil Young is Canadian! Of course, Canada is in "America"... namely North America....:whatever:

R_of_G
November 6th, 2007, 06:52 AM

Since Mr. Young is candadian, I'd say no.

R_of_G
November 6th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Frampton? Not original members.

Isn't Peter Frampton English?

R_of_G
November 6th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Ok, I have a bit of a bone to pick on the criteria of "longevity" and "original members". For both of these I use the Beatles as my basis of comparison as most of us seem comfortable with labelling them as one of the, if not the, greatest British bands.

Firstly, the Beatles only lasted a bit longer than a decade as a functioning unit. If we're talking the longevity of their music being popular, that goes more to relevance than longevity, which I see as the duration the band lasted. So, while a lot of the American bands listed are not still active, many did surpass the amount of time the Beatles were together.

Now, to the question of "original members" and I am sure you all see where I'm going here. A lot of the American bands were subject to be discounted on the grounds that they don't have all of their original members. It could be said that when the Beatles lost Stu Sutcliffe, they no longer had their original members. Ditto when they replaced Pete Best with Ringo. Now, I understand that John, Paul, George, & Ringo constitute the Beatles as the world knows them, but the fact remains that Ringo was not an original member of the band. Obviously, I am being partially facetious here, but let's remember a lot of these bands [particularly the GD] replaced original members because those original members died.

Spudman
November 6th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Good points RofG.

So I guess this is just another of those pointless subjective threads? So what are the criteria? Who is going to determine who (American band) has the most influence on American music? How do you prove that?

Big_Rob
November 6th, 2007, 08:28 AM
I would have to say that Spudman and Wingman are right,

Now I know that ZZ Top has all the original memebers but what about Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers?

wingsdad
November 6th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Petty, guitar-man Mike Campbell and keys-man Benmont Tench have been the core since before they became the Heatbreakers. Original HB Bassist Ron Blair left for 10 years & rejoined in 02 when Howie Epstein finally checked out on Horse. Original drummer Stan Lynch left after 20 years.

I kinda knew that because I've been nuts about TP since 'Damn The Torpedoes' (3rd Album). Cable network Sundance just aired the Peter Bogdanovich 4-hour documentary bio, 'Runnin' Down A Dream', 3 times last week. I managed to record it and got to watch it over the weekend.

Truly, TP & the HB are an American Band, not an American BRand, packaged & hyped to sell recordings, concert tickets and merchandise.

Tone2TheBone
November 6th, 2007, 09:40 AM
My vote goes for the Top ah how how how how.

marnold
November 6th, 2007, 10:30 AM
So I guess this is just another of those pointless subjective threads? So what are the criteria? Who is going to determine who (American band) has the most influence on American music? How do you prove that?
It wasn't intended to be. That's why I gave my criteria, not so much because they are the be all and end all, but because when I thought of the greatest American band, that's what I used to make my determination. Even with those criteria, I'm still not convinced of my choices.

The main reason I started this thread is because when my friend and I were talking about it, it seemed interesting. It also seemed unusually hard to come up with even a good answer to say nothing of the definitive answer.

I repent in sackcloth and ashes that ZZ Top (that's Zed Zed Top for you Canucks) never even came to my mind. Shame on me.

R_of_G
November 6th, 2007, 10:43 AM
It wasn't intended to be. That's why I gave my criteria, not so much because they are the be all and end all, but because when I thought of the greatest American band, that's what I used to make my determination. Even with those criteria, I'm still not convinced of my choices.

The main reason I started this thread is because when my friend and I were talking about it, it seemed interesting. It also seemed unusually hard to come up with even a good answer to say nothing of the definitive answer.

I repent in sackcloth and ashes that ZZ Top (that's Zed Zed Top for you Canucks) never even came to my mind. Shame on me.

I think it's been a great thread so far. I doubt that without an exhaustive process of determining an empirical way to calculate the "greatest" it will remain a subjective discussion, but those are not without value in themselves. Anything that causes us to answer a question like this, and then compare and contrast and even revise our answers and reasoning with the rest has plenty of value. The value is in the critical thinking we all put ourselves through to generate our answers and responses to one another. Greatest will always be a matter of taste and our own perceptions of who influenced who, but to have had the discussion is better than not to [and certainly better than allowing the Eagles to call themselves that unquestioned].:AOK:

Big_Rob
November 6th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Im going to switch my vote to ZZ Top as the greatest American band.

Heres the reason why.

Although Tom Petty does meet the criteria, ZZ Top has been around longer

R_of_G
November 6th, 2007, 01:08 PM
I just wanted to add, that I am very pleased to see that as long as this thread has gone so far, there has not been a single mention of one of my most despised bands of all time, The Doors. I have just never been a fan of their music, and it was nice to see several dozen bands get named without them being named even once. Right on!

duhvoodooman
November 6th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Well, they've been mentioned now, haven't they? I'm just wondering why, if you hate 'em so much, you didn't just let sleeping dogs lie? :thwap:

R_of_G
November 6th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Well, they've been mentioned now, haven't they? I'm just wondering why, if you hate 'em so much, you didn't just let sleeping dogs lie? :thwap:

Because I found it a valid observation that through pages and pages of posts about great american bands nobody mentioned them. Due to the amount of hype they've received over the decades, I found it interesting and noteworthy that not one of us mentioned them.

mrmudcat
November 6th, 2007, 02:08 PM

100% agree,LYNRYD SKYNRYD would be either tied or one above my all time favorite American bands..Allmans:Dude: :AOK:

sunvalleylaw
November 6th, 2007, 03:25 PM

LOL!!! Now that you mention them, I'll go on record as liking them! LA Woman is a fine album as far as I am concerned. I'm not nominating them for greatest American band. I can't decide on that one, but I will stand up for Mr. American Poet and Co, lumps and all. :) :D

duhvoodooman
November 6th, 2007, 05:08 PM
LOL!!! Now that you mention them, I'll go on record as liking them! LA Woman is a fine album as far as I am concerned. I'm not nominating them for greatest American band. I can't decide on that one, but I will stand up for Mr. American Poet and Co, lumps and all.
See what I mean, R_of_G?!? :rotflmao:

Big_Rob
November 6th, 2007, 08:30 PM
LOL!!! Now that you mention them, I'll go on record as liking them! LA Woman is a fine album as far as I am concerned. I'm not nominating them for greatest American band. I can't decide on that one, but I will stand up for Mr. American Poet and Co, lumps and all. :) :D

The Doors were ohkaayee, If I had to pick their greatest album I would have to say Soft Parade is my favorite due to its non airplay

Spudman
November 6th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Oh man I'm so glad someone mentioned the Doors. I love that band. :AOK:

You know Queensryche is a band that has influenced a couple of generations around the world and they have been together for around 25 years.

They are nothing like the Doors except that they both have incredibly charismatic and gifted front men. Boy I'm sure glad someone brought up the Doors. Awesome!

YerDugliness
November 7th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Nobody has mentioned Boston yet.

They have a unique sound, and most of those our age would recognize almost anything they play as being Boston.

They have longevity, as they are still around in various incarnations.

Now, having said that, I must admit I'm a bit disappointed we got to the 5th page of this thread without The Doors being mentioned, and even then negatively. I think they had huge influence on American music and had they not been mentioned yet, I would have.

Gotta agree, though, Lynard Skynard is tops for me, not b/c I like their music that much (not that I don't, either), but b/c they really top the charts on all the criterion suggested. After L/S, I guess The Boss, or The Ramones (although other than musicians, I would suggest that the average music listener isn't all that familiar with their work), and nobody seems to have mentioned Guns 'N' Roses yet (wouldn't be my choice, either, but they do come to mind if one is looking for the one band that excited the youth of America, even if it was short lived), and what's wrong with The Doobie Brothers, anyway????????

Guess I might as well shut-up, before somebody else tells me to do so.

Dugly :cool:

YerDugliness
November 7th, 2007, 12:12 AM
OK, so it didn't last long, did it :messedup: ?

I couldn't go to bed without nominating "Spinal Tap". I mean, how many people who couldn't give a rats-A$$ about music saw that movie and came away raving about them???????? Think about it..........:whatever:

............"onward through the fog" (to quote another great band).

Dugly :beer:

R_of_G
November 7th, 2007, 06:45 AM
OK, so it didn't last long, did it :messedup: ?

I couldn't go to bed without nominating "Spinal Tap". I mean, how many people who couldn't give a rats-A$$ about music saw that movie and came away raving about them???????? Think about it..........:whatever:

............"onward through the fog" (to quote another great band).

Dugly :beer:

Technically speaking, Spinal Tap is not an "American" band. Firstly, they portray themselves as being an English band. Now I know that is just parody for the film, however I would also contend that as Christopher Guest is English, and Nigel is the primary songwriter for Spinal Tap, that they are, at least, an English/American combo band. Good choice anyway.

R_of_G
November 7th, 2007, 06:50 AM
All I can say in response to the Doors posts which have followed mine is (a) we're all entilted to our opinions, and (b) if everybody who seems unhappy with my post thinks they are so great, why did it take a critical comment about them to draw everyone out of the woodwork with their praise? I would like to point out one more time that I simply made the comment about the Doors because when polling like this is done, often the results that don't show up in the poll are just as interesting or noteworthy as those that do. I mean here's a band whose music saturated classic-rock radio for decades, a band so culturally important that a feature film was made about them, and yet when it comes to polling here for greatest american bands, their name is nowhere to be found. I find that telling.

Spudman
November 7th, 2007, 08:09 AM
All I can say in response to the Doors posts which have followed mine is (a) we're all entilted to our opinions, and (b) if everybody who seems unhappy with my post thinks they are so great, why did it take a critical comment about them to draw everyone out of the woodwork with their praise?

Dude, you are way too serious about this. That is what we are trying to show you.:)

Big_Rob
November 7th, 2007, 11:20 AM
All I can say in response to the Doors posts which have followed mine is (a) we're all entilted to our opinions, and (b) if everybody who seems unhappy with my post thinks they are so great, why did it take a critical comment about them to draw everyone out of the woodwork with their praise? I would like to point out one more time that I simply made the comment about the Doors because when polling like this is done, often the results that don't show up in the poll are just as interesting or noteworthy as those that do. I mean here's a band whose music saturated classic-rock radio for decades, a band so culturally important that a feature film was made about them, and yet when it comes to polling here for greatest american bands, their name is nowhere to be found. I find that telling.

I dont think they were the greatest. They were cool back when I was 17-18 and dropping acid every day. Now they're just campy and over played. Of course thats JMO

Dont get me wrong, Morrison was a great lyricsist buuuuuut,,,, As far as an influence on my style of playing, Robby Keiger wasnt

mannydingo
October 21st, 2008, 12:02 PM
You may have seen the ads for the new Eagles album, calling them the "greatest American band." My friend and I grimaced simultaneously at that suggestion. I really can't stand the Eagles, to be honest. If Joe Walsh hadn't joined they would have become a veritable black hole of pretentiousness.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you and I know this is an old thread from Nov/2007 but that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. First of all, every Eagles album before Joe Walsh joined was steadily selling more than the last. Also, their most known song, Hotel California, was written by Ron Felder of the group. Just because you see Walsh exchanging lead work on that video doesn't mean Walsh had anything to do with it. As a matter of fact, listen to Walsh before The Eagles. He wrote NOTHING as melodic as the stuff the Eagles played. I think you just don't like that combination Rock/Country sound. That's fine. However, their popularity and album sales cannot be denied. They are not even close to being my favorite band but I like a lot of their old songs.

Speaking of Joe Walsh, look at his face on the Hotel California video(which is really live). Look at him between the 5 min and 15 sec portion of the video/song. That's 5:00 to 5:15. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcwr1nbmWLI

marnold
October 21st, 2008, 12:16 PM
I'm not trying to pick a fight with you and I know this is an old thread from Nov/2007 but that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. First of all, every Eagles album before Joe Walsh joined was steadily selling more than the last. Also, their most known song, Hotel California, was written by Ron Felder of the group. Just because you see Walsh exchanging lead work on that video doesn't mean Walsh had anything to do with it. As a matter of fact, listen to Walsh before The Eagles. He wrote NOTHING as melodic as the stuff the Eagles played. I think you just don't like that combination Rock/Country sound. That's fine. However, their popularity and album sales cannot be denied.
I didn't say that they weren't popular or talented or anything like that. I did not say that Joe Walsh made or broke the band. What I said is that Joe Walsh kept them from being utterly and completely pretentious. Walsh is the only one who doesn't seem to take himself hyper-seriously. That was my point.

warren0728
October 21st, 2008, 12:31 PM
I'm not trying to pick a fight with you
good plan....never pick a fight with a preacher man....you might get struck by lightning or the plague or something.... :poke: :rotflmao:

ww

Algonquin
October 21st, 2008, 12:34 PM
Welcome to the Fret Mannydingo... why not stop by 'The Fret Players' section and give yourself an introduction to the folks here.

duhvoodooman
October 21st, 2008, 12:38 PM
....never pick a fight with a preacher man....you might get struck by lightning or the plague or something....
It's those hordes of locusts that always "bug" me.... :eek: ;)

aeolian
October 21st, 2008, 01:56 PM
One American band that is right there at the top of my list is: Talking Heads

R_of_G
October 21st, 2008, 02:13 PM
One American band that is right there at the top of my list is: Talking Heads

Absolutely.:AOK:

Talking Heads were innovative and interesting, and I think David Byrne has continued throughout his solo career to make extremely interesting music.

ShortBuSX
October 21st, 2008, 03:17 PM
The Eagles would get "Greatest American band" because they have everybody else beat in record sales.

But for my money "the greatest American rock n roll band"...has to be Van Halen.

tunghaichuan
October 21st, 2008, 03:22 PM
But for my money "the greatest American rock n roll band"...has to be Van Halen.

+1

Or maybe Aerosmith.

tung

mannydingo
October 21st, 2008, 04:50 PM
I didn't say that they weren't popular or talented or anything like that. I did not say that Joe Walsh made or broke the band. What I said is that Joe Walsh kept them from being utterly and completely pretentious. Walsh is the only one who doesn't seem to take himself hyper-seriously. That was my point.

As for pretentious, I have seen that from Glenn Frey and maybe, and it's a big maybe from Don Henley. None of the other members, past through today, display arrogance or similar. What's funny is that I don't like Joe Walsh's solo and previous band music but he influenced the songwriter of my favorite band Boston. Go figure. With Kansas, they're my two all-time favorite bands.

mannydingo
October 21st, 2008, 04:51 PM
Welcome to the Fret Mannydingo... why not stop by 'The Fret Players' section and give yourself an introduction to the folks here.

Thanks, will do.

player
October 21st, 2008, 06:24 PM
What's this,no Grand Funk Railroad,we're an American band or Joe Walsh's James Gang.true Glenn Frey and company made the Eagles without a doubt.isn't Michigan in America too with Mark Farner and company.while we are at it Mountain is in there too among many others.Lynard Skynard is a must. EVH is and was great in their heyday as well.how about the Winters brothers while we are at it.Do not count out Ted Nugent either

bigoldron
October 21st, 2008, 07:49 PM
What's this,no Grand Funk Railroad,we're an American band or Joe Walsh's James Gang.true Glenn Frey and company made the Eagles without a doubt.isn't Michigan in America too with Mark Farner and company.while we are at it Mountain is in there too among many others.Lynard Skynard is a must. EVH is and was great in their heyday as well.how about the Winters brothers while we are at it.

All valid points and many great bands have been mentioned, including one I think is a contender for the title "Greatest American Band" (well, at least before Michael McDonald RUINED them), the Doobie Brothers. But, many of you have mentioned the top 2, which, low and behold, happen to be Southern Rock Bands - ZZ Top and Lynyrd Skynyrd! Both are still on the road and still rockin' hard and both have been inducted into the Hall of Fame.

ZZ Top is still all original and has at least produced new material in this decade. Skynyrd, as I said in another post, basically a cover band of their old material. The Allman Brothers is another top contender, but again, they're basically a tribute band.

So, for me, I'd have to say, "Haw, haw, haw, haw!" My vote goes to Reverend Billy, Dusty and Frank, the Tres Hombres!!! Rock on, you "Little Old Band from Texas!" :rockon: :AOK: :master:

player
October 21st, 2008, 08:04 PM
All valid points and many great bands have been mentioned, including one I think is a contender for the title "Greatest American Band" (well, at least before Michael McDonald RUINED them), the Doobie Brothers. But, many of you have mentioned the top 2, which, low and behold, happen to be Southern Rock Bands - ZZ Top and Lynyrd Skynyrd! Both are still on the road and still rockin' hard and both have been inducted into the Hall of Fame.

ZZ Top is still all original and has at least produced new material in this decade. Skynyrd, as I said in another post, basically a cover band of their old material. The Allman Brothers is another top contender, but again, they're basically a tribute band.

So, for me, I'd have to say, "Haw, haw, haw, haw!" My vote goes to Reverend Billy, Dusty and Frank, the Tres Hombres!!! Rock on, you "Little Old Band from Texas!" :rockon: :AOK: :master:

yes sir Legs and cheap sunglasses still get it here too among others
http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p9/market_03/th_ZZTop.gif

Andy
October 22nd, 2008, 07:26 AM
Beach Boys and Aerosmith.

sumitomo
October 22nd, 2008, 08:54 AM
Coco Montoya playing for Lawrence Welk,now that will give ya something to think about.Sumi:D

bigoldron
October 22nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
yes sir Legs and cheap sunglasses still get it here too among others
http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p9/market_03/th_ZZTop.gif

The videos ain't too shabby either! :drool: :D

player
October 22nd, 2008, 06:13 PM
Have not run across any yet Ron but will keep the peepers open for their vids.

stingx
October 22nd, 2008, 06:46 PM
The Beach Boys. :beer:

bigoldron
October 22nd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Have not run across any yet Ron but will keep the peepers open for their vids.

Go to ZZTop.com and click on "Media". You'll see several of their MTV/VH1 videos including Legs! :AOK:

player
October 22nd, 2008, 08:12 PM
Go to ZZTop.com and click on "Media". You'll see several of their MTV/VH1 videos including Legs! :AOK:
oh yeah :D among othershttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNvOPN1LoQ4

Glacies
October 23rd, 2008, 06:01 AM
I always am scared to get into these conversations becuase first, I'm 25, so I just wasn't around when some bands had thier hayday and really have no way of stumbling over them unless someone reccommends them to me. Secondly, I'm pretty new to music, and in the last year I'm going back and listening to things I wouldn't have given a second thought about and greatly appreciating them.

With that said, I have to think that Van Halen or Aerosmith has to be the greatest American Rock Band. If the new Guitar Hero Aersosmith doesn't prove it, I don't know what does. Sheesh.

stingx
October 23rd, 2008, 06:06 AM
You know, I think it just might be Slim Whitman. I remember a heavily played commercial a few years back in which it is claimed that he sold more records than The Beatles and Elvis combined. Now thems some bold words right there. :AOK:

Disraeli
October 23rd, 2008, 12:43 PM
Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
Bob Dylan
The Band (they might be from Canada not sure)
Grateful Dead
Doobie Brothers
The Eagles

I would rank these all above Aerosmith and Van Halen, but thats just one man's opinion.

cherokee747
October 23rd, 2008, 05:18 PM
:thwap: Lynyrd Skynyrd

Gil Janus
October 24th, 2008, 08:01 AM
The Grateful Dead
The Allman Brothers Band
The Doobie Brothers

Can you just have one :thwap:

I would list The Band - but they are mostly from North of the Border :beer:

Gil :cool:

Andy
October 25th, 2008, 09:16 AM
can I disect a little of my reasoning?

I don't care much for Aerosmith beyond their 70's period, but theres no doubt that they would have to be atleast in the top 5.
for anyone who was a teenager in the mid 70's Aerosmith was undeniably huge.and are still huge to a whole new generation today

I like the doobies alot, all of their output, but I can't picture them as the greatest american band. any more than steely dan. both great bands but nowhere near the impact when compared with the likes of Lynyrd Skynyrd,The Allmons,Eagles.Bob Seager.

ZZtop could have been and the early stuff was definatey influential but the moment they went commercial and incorperated samples and drum machines, and the simple repeditive ,almost robotic structures....any major influence dissolved.

The gratefull Dead can be admired for longevity and vibe, but face it they hit the charts 2 mabey 3 times in 40 years. They were a mainstay no doubt but more of extreeme cult status than "greatest band"to the masses pinnacle.

Tom Petty is a quandry to me,He has been around a long time,had many hits and has had alot of sucess backing and dueting with others. But you don't hear alot of people say" the day I heard Tom Petty, I knew I wanted to be a musician" (I do know of people influenced by his guitarist).

Tom is a great songwriter.He takes pieces from every style of music and makes it popular to a wide selection of demographic. but nothing he ever did strikes me as new,fresh or groundbreaking...but he's done enough to deserve atleast the top 10.

If this were a regional question the south would have Skynyrd in the top 3 ....atleast.

ok fire away....lol

tunghaichuan
October 25th, 2008, 09:31 AM
can I disect a little of my reasoning?
I don't care much for Aerosmith beyond their 70's period, but theres no doubt that they would have to be atleast in the top 5.
for anyone who was a teenager in the mid 70's Aerosmith was undeniably huge.and are still huge to a whole new generation today

The one thing about Aerosmith that qualifies them, IMHO, is that by the mid-80s they were over. They crashed and burned. But they actually made a comeback in the 90s and became better than ever.

For most bands, when it's over, it's over. There is no comeback.

Just my $.02

tung