PDA

View Full Version : Mack Heatseeker

Robert
November 5th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I just received my 18 watter, the Heatseeker HS-18! :AOK:

I have not plugged it in yet. Will report back soon. Exciting!

t_ross33
November 5th, 2007, 12:32 PM
YOU TEASE :spank:

Tone2TheBone
November 5th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Crank that sucker! Do a video.

Robert
November 5th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Ooh yeah baby! It sounds killer!

I cranked it at lunch, recorded a video. Will post it tonight - I didn't have time to download and edit the video.

Man, this amp is FUN! Sweet tube tone! Ooooooh! :beer: :drool: :Dude: :pancake :AOK:

M29
November 5th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Pancakes for all:Dude:

M29

Robert
November 6th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Pancakes and videos for ya'll! :pancake :pancake

Spudman
November 6th, 2007, 08:20 AM
So is the Reverend now a stool? :D

Radioboy950
November 6th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Man, I am lovin that tone. Are you playing through Mack's matching speaker cab, or something else?

If you wouldn't mind, Robert, please report back on the "Heatseeker" once you've put it through the paces of practicing, recording ang gigging (if that's how you intend to use it). I'm interested in seeing how versatile this hand-built tube job really is.

Robert
November 6th, 2007, 09:06 AM
I am playing through my Avatar 2 x 12 with Eminence Wizard speakers. Sweet tone mojo in this amph!

I'll take it to the jam tomorrow and turn it up loud ... :D

No, I will not abandon my Hellhound... it is a great amp too. Maybe I'll get an ABY box or something so I can run both together! :AOK:

That's what them big boys do anyway, isn't it?

Justaguyin_nc
November 6th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I am playing through my Avatar 2 x 12 with Eminence Wizard speakers. Sweet tone mojo in this amph!

I'll take it to the jam tomorrow and turn it up loud ... :D

No, I will not abandon my Hellhound... it is a great amp too. Maybe I'll get an ABY box or something so I can run both together! :AOK:

That's what them big boys do anyway, isn't it?

I just knew ya wouldn't abandon that Hellhound!

Sounds nice Robert..

Yeah it's time for the two together video...:Dude:

Why do I get this feeling, Robert is going to have a thread about the new VAN he just purchased to carry all this stuff? :rotflmao:

:beer:

Jimi75
November 6th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Unbelievable good sounding amp Robert!

I can imagine how proud you must be having made the right decision in choosing this amp and how it was to strum the first chord and then getting rewarded with that beautiful tone.

I think you now have the basis of good tone for all your further playing!

Now hurry and make your CD - with that amp and the new guitar you mus be motivated from toe to head!

Robert
November 6th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks guys! Yes, I am motivated, but I am not set up for a CD recording yet. I have all my gear in a mess in the basement - I need a studio room! I also need a new computer to record on - that is my goal to get after Xmas - a good laptop.

I seem to be too busy making guitar videos and hanging out on the Fret to be able to get anywhere "music career-wise".... :whatever:.

Yes, it was fun to plug it in! I was pleasantly surprised at how good the tone was. Since it's such a simple amp, it's hard to make it sound bad. It's not that versatile tone-wise, but the tone is very good - what more can I ask for! :beer:

Tone2TheBone
November 6th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Good sound Rob. You should play on the neck more cause it sounds good with it. ;) Now all you need is a Les Paul and you'll be rockin'. Congrats on your new amp!

SuperSwede
November 6th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Ahh... it sounds really good Robert.. and a nice swede keps as well :)

Almost a little Vox style chime on the clean sounds! +1

250Keith
November 6th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Very nice! nice amp! I like the cab good tone with the strat, do you have a humbucker guitar? I would like to hear that also.
:beer:

Robert
November 6th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Only bucker guitar I have is the '51. I'll do more demos with the amp in the future, do not worry.

Robert
November 6th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Here are some pics of my Heatseeker:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_747310562be2de.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=47)http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_747310563eace4.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=48)
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_74731056687d18.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=50)http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_7473105651560f.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=49)

just strum
November 6th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Robert,

Got the video in the e-mail and immediately played it. That amp kicks the north end of a south bound horse. I never heard of that amp before.

Why don't you drive down to Ohio once a week and give me lessons (you can leave the hat at home:) )

As usual, good stuff there Sir Robert

duhvoodooman
November 6th, 2007, 07:19 PM
SUH-WEET!!! Sounds fabulous, Robert. Looks pretty nice, too!! :AOK: :Dude: :beavisnbutthead:

Spudman
November 6th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Sounds great! Congratulations.

M29
November 6th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Congrats Robert, it sounds sweet:drool:
I am selling off a bunch of my stuff to get an 18 watt but I will have to build mine, it is a kit.:messedup:

M29

sunvalleylaw
November 6th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Ahh, I don't know. I think the Squire 51 through the Vox sounds just as good.

NOT! With the addition of the new guitar, the new neck, and now the Mack, the tone keeps getting better and better. It would be an interesting exercise to view your earlier photos with your earlier gear, and compare the tone as you change the gear out. Then we could see how it matches up for the guitar vs. amph thread. For these types of tone, I personally thought I heard a noticeable improvement with the new blue guitar, and this amph just makes it even better.

Congrats!

P.S. Nothing at all wrong with your Squire '51 and Vox tones of course. You are the poster boy for what can be done with those products. The recent stuff has taken you up a notch though I think.

Adrian30
November 6th, 2007, 09:21 PM
It sounds so sweet. Have fun with it Robert.

Katastrophe
November 6th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Beautiful sounding amph, Robert!:AOK:

mrmudcat
November 7th, 2007, 09:04 AM
yes sweet sounding:beer:

TS808
November 7th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Excellent purchase and it sounds sweet!! Congrats!!!

Tone2TheBone
November 7th, 2007, 10:44 AM
That's a nice looking amp dude. It would look killer on my 4x12 cab let me borrow it. :)

Lev
November 8th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Sounds sweet Robert, have you thought about maybe playing through both amps now with some nice stereo delay and chorus :Dude:

Robert
November 8th, 2007, 08:23 AM
I am thinking about an ABY box.. that would be fun to run both amps. I have the Vox too!

I took the Heatseeker to the jam last night. Fantastic. I had tone2thebone man! :) The other guitar player's tone was a joke compared to mine... :D

Tone2TheBone
November 8th, 2007, 10:49 AM
I am thinking about an ABY box.. that would be fun to run both amps. I have the Vox too!

I took the Heatseeker to the jam last night. Fantastic. I had tone2thebone man! :) The other guitar player's tone was a joke compared to mine... :D

Yes my son you are learning and on the right path to righteousness. :AOK: Now go get a Les Paul and tear it up some more!

Tone2TheBone
November 20th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Now that you've had it for awhile can you elaborate more on the Heatseeker's functions? Can you tell us how the character switch works? How do each of the 3 settings sound using this function?

Here is the description of the settings from the website...

1. Hot - Ultra rich and warm tube tone. Medium gain.

2. Burn - Aggressive high-mids, controlled bottom end, classic crunch and distortion tones. High gain. Great for dark sounding humbuckers.

3. Melt - Big bottom, aggressive throughout the frequency spectrum. Roaring crunch and distortion. Highest gain. Great for producing ‘huge’ distorted tone from single coil guitars.

Is there an audible difference in tone between these 3 modes? What about the amount of tube gain? Do the above descriptions accurately match each of the types of sound mentioned?

Robert
November 20th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Hey Tone, I'm still pretty new to the amp. The audible differences between each setting is not huge with my Strat. I bet it would be more apparent with a Les Paul. I shall try it with more guitars, and make videos for ya.

The amount of tube gain increases with each turn, but maybe not to the extent as what they knobs say. At least not with a strat.

Great sounding amp though! Are you getting one? :beer:

Tone2TheBone
November 20th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Hey Tone, I'm still pretty new to the amp. The audible differences between each setting is not huge with my Strat. I bet it would be more apparent with a Les Paul. I shall try it with more guitars, and make videos for ya.

The amount of tube gain increases with each turn, but maybe not to the extent as what they knobs say. At least not with a strat.

Great sounding amp though! Are you getting one? :beer:

Nope not getting one. I'd love to get one of those small Champion 600s though. I was just curious as to how the Heatseeker stacks up against it's reputation stated on the Mack website. Yeah play around with it some more and do more videos with it. Do some minus the clean boost though. I have thoughts on this and will start another thread on it.

Robert
January 3rd, 2008, 09:53 AM
I have my "final one" coming now. The one I had was a loaner, because the model with FX loop wasn't ready at the time. It is now though, so next week I'll have the new one with the effects loop. The head cab is new too, but otherwise it's the same amph. It comes with "screaming solos" too! :AOK:

Tone2TheBone
January 3rd, 2008, 10:03 AM
How loud is the amp in terms of it being an 18 watter? The 22 watts of the Deluxes are nice but there's something to be said for even lower wattage amps in the 15 to 18 watt range.

Robert
January 3rd, 2008, 11:24 AM
It is quite loud, way louder than the 15 watt Orange Tiny Terror. Not sure how I can describe exactly how loud the amp is... :)