PDA

View Full Version : Europe - Start From the Dark

loudncrunchy
March 6th, 2006, 10:30 AM
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][/COLOR

Hello Friends,

I thought I'd make you aware of a great CD that recently came out: Europe's Start From the Dark. Yes, this is the same group that ruled the '80's w/songs like The Final Countdown and Rock the Night.

After splitting up in 1992, original guitarist John Norum has returned to the band and has traded in his Fender Strat for a 1957 Custom Les Paul w/EMG pickups. The result is a much heavier guitar sound/tone w/the melodic influences still intact.

Also just released by the band is their 2 DVD set called Live From the Dark which features the last show on their reunion tour in front of an enthusiastic crowd in London.

The bottom line here is that the 5 musicians of Europe are no swedish meatballs. They are back w/a heavy yet melodic sound. Will they get any airplay on MTV and the like? Well, probably not. And in some ways, they are better off for that.

SuperSwede
March 6th, 2006, 10:38 AM
No swedish meatballs? ;)

Tim
March 6th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Loudncrunchy - Do you have a link to provide for us to review?

Spudman
March 6th, 2006, 05:38 PM
http://www.europetheband.com/#

Fewer synths out front which is a good thing, John N back on guitar is a good thing, but the pop format and lack of shredding that John is capable of leaves me flat.
Great mix and overall sound though.

loudncrunchy
March 7th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Here's an unofficial John Norum website, since johnnorum.com is currently under construction: www.johnnorum.net. It gives pretty good info. Touches briefly w/John's stints w/Dokken and UFO.