PDA

View Full Version : How long do your shoes last

Tone2TheBone
November 5th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Either dress/casual or running/walking. I go through a pair of running/walking shoes in about 6 months. Dress/casual the same. They wear out on the inside moreso than the outside. You?

just strum
November 5th, 2007, 05:25 PM
I had a pair of casual shoes that lasted me 25 years (not a misprint) and when they semi-died it was the tops that went, the bottoms looked almost brand new. I wore them at least twice a week and on occasion every day of the week.

I still have them and have worn them when doing interior painting since they are now semi-retired.

Tone2TheBone
November 5th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Oh I should say that I have a pair of dress shoes that I only wear for weddings, funerals and business dinners. Those usually last me a couple of years only because I don't wear those as often for said reasons. My daily casual shoes I wear for work wear out fast.

luvmyshiner
November 5th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I've got two pairs of shoes that get worn on almost a daily basis, my dress shoes and a pair of cowboy boots. The ones I use now I've had for a little over six years. I spend a little extra to get quality shoes, and then I have them re-soled and re-heeled every two to three years as needed. The current shoes I have are on their third set of soles/heels. The last set I had lasted me over ten years.

just strum
November 5th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Oh I should say that I have a pair of dress shoes that I only wear for weddings, funerals and business dinners.

Well if we ever get to meet, I'm already married, we probably don't have any business needs... On second thought, maybe it's best we don't meet.:rotflmao:

stingx
November 5th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Funny you should post this. I just bought a new pair of black dress shoes on the way home from work today. I always buy 2 at a time - one black pair and one brown pair - for work. They last about 12-18 months and I literally burn them out. The pair I had on today scared me because I noticed a hole forming in the sole and rain is in the forecast for tomorrow. Nothing worse than soggy feet. :rotflmao:

I make sure that they are super comfy because I walk around the city a lot. Once I get off the bus in the city, I generally walk from the port to the office then back to the port. About 2 1/2 miles each way.

Bloozcat
November 5th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Since I'm outside a lot on and off during the day at work, I wear a pair of Timberland hiking boots. They're a year and a half old and still have quite a bit of wear left. Excellent boots. Running shoes last a year, max. I'll get about 3-4 years out of a pair of deck shoes. I have a couple pair of Polo casual slip on shoes that are 10-12 years old. They've each been resoled once, but they're still going strong.

I buy really good quality, American made dress shoes. Some things are just worth spending the money on if you want them to last. I probably won't have to replace any of my dress shoes for the rest of my life, they're that well made. Having several pairs also helps in extending the lives of each pair too.

My big problem in shoes have been my hunting boots. I've had two pairs of Browning boots that didn't last a season before the soles literally fell apart. The same happened with two pairs of Rocky boots. For what I paid for them, they should have lasted at least three years of hard use, not one year or less of occasional use. Both Browning and Rocky replaced or resoled the first pairs that fell apart, and one pair of the Rocky's are still holding up ok with the new soles after two wearings (whee!).

Spudman
November 5th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I've got 20 year old cycling shoes I still wear.

I rotate my shoe pairs every couple of days. I have 3 or 4 active pairs and they revolve through the week and month. They seem to last longer than if I just wear one pair until they are shot, and my feet are happier too. I still have 7-10 year old shoes that are still in great shape, but I'm a light guy too.

Robert
November 5th, 2007, 09:08 PM
I wear out my running shoes in 2-3 months when I'm in hard training. Work shoes (semi-formal) last a year or more.

sunvalleylaw
November 5th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I wear out my running shoes in 2-3 months when I'm in hard training. Work shoes (semi-formal) last a year or more.

I am similar, but my running shoes last on average 6 mos, since I run less in the winter, and rotate a couple pair during the year, so say 2 pair a year. Bike shoes last several years. I do have one pair that I have worn about 19 years. My Crocs are looking that they will last a year or two. My semi-formal are the same as Robert, my true dress shoes I buy a good quality, and repair the heels, etc, and put cat's paw rubberized stuff on the bottom if they are leather soled. They last a long time. My ski boots last about 2 or three seasons, my Sorels are closing in on aboot 20 years, but need new liners. :)

Jimi75
November 6th, 2007, 02:14 AM
My shoes usually last a year or a year and a half, if I wear them for work.
Sport shoes are through in 4-6 months.

R_of_G
November 6th, 2007, 07:01 AM
I have a pair of brown Doc Maartens that have stayed in great shape for the last 14 years that I still wear a lot. As far as "everyday shoes," I typically wear sneakers to work [luckily I can dress casually for my job], and a good pair of New Balances usually lasts me a couple of years. I have one pair of brown "dress" shoes that I wear whenever I need to wear a suit [family affairs, weddings, funerals, etc] but since I wear them once or twice a year at most, they will likely last forever.

Brian Krashpad
November 6th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Don't have any running shoes. Converse hightops start going between 1 and 2 years. Boots usually last at least 4 or 5, but I have a pair I only use for yard work that are over 20 years old. Since I rarely wear dress shoes, there's no telling how long they'd last. Probably indefinitely.

Tone2TheBone
November 6th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Don't have any running shoes. Converse hightops start going between 1 and 2 years. Boots usually last at least 4 or 5, but I have a pair I only use for yard work that are over 20 years old. Since I rarely wear dress shoes, there's no telling how long they'd last. Probably indefinitely.

I'd give anything if I could wear Converse Chuck Taylors again. They're too flat for me now. Sounds like you guys have more pairs of shoes than I do that's why mine get wasted faster. Maybe I'm spending too much on pedals and guitars instead of shoes!

Brian Krashpad
November 6th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I'd give anything if I could wear Converse Chuck Taylors again. They're too flat for me now.

Maybe you could get some insoles for better arch support?

Tone2TheBone
November 6th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Maybe you could get some insoles for better arch support?

I thought about that...I wonder if that would work. Hmmmm.

Brian Krashpad
November 6th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I thought about that...I wonder if that would work. Hmmmm.

Worth a shot, they're pretty cheap.

My son got his first pair of Chucks a couple weeks ago, some white low-tops.

Tone2TheBone
November 6th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Worth a shot, they're pretty cheap.

My son got his first pair of Chucks a couple weeks ago, some white low-tops.

I thought about showing my age and getting the black leather ones then I changed my mind. :rotflmao: I'll get some black ones instead...sans leather.

duhvoodooman
November 6th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Tone, you ask the damnedest questions! I love ya, bro', but how your head works is a mystery to me!! :eek: ;)

P.S. At least it's a better subject than flashlights.... :rotflmao:

Tone2TheBone
November 6th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Tone, you ask the damnedest questions! I love ya, bro', but how your head works is a mystery to me!! :eek: ;)

P.S. At least it's a better subject than flashlights.... :rotflmao:

Gotta keep you guys (and girl) on your toes. :)

sunvalleylaw
November 6th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Gotta keep you guys (and girl) on your toes. :)

What, . . . . We talkin 'bout ballet shoes now!? :crazyguy: :bootyshake: :thwap:

Tone2TheBone
November 6th, 2007, 03:32 PM
What, . . . . We talkin 'bout ballet shoes now!? :crazyguy: :bootyshake: :thwap:

........if the shoe fits.

Sorry I couldn't resist but since this is my own thread I forgive myself.

sunvalleylaw
November 6th, 2007, 03:46 PM
........if the shoe fits.

Sorry I couldn't resist but since this is my own thread I forgive myself.

I was preparing to take this further down the gutter, but . . . I . . . am
. . . . . . . resisting. :rotflmao:

pie_man_25
November 6th, 2007, 06:58 PM
walking/running shoes last about six months now, it used to be a year, but now they're just falling apart, and I don't actual;ly have any dress clothes other than my school uniform pants, and a golf shirt that was my father's and also a silk shirt that was his as wel so I can't judge.

Lev
November 7th, 2007, 06:33 AM
...this is starting to sound like a blues song!

We got them walkin blues....

Tone2TheBone
November 7th, 2007, 10:54 AM
...this is starting to sound like a blues song!

We got them walkin blues....

HEY what a great inspiration Lev. Pieman you need to post a photo of yourself on the photo thread btw. Include your new GF too.

Bloozcat
November 7th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Ain't got no money...
Aint got no shoes...
Aint got no woman...
Aint got nothin' but the blues....:cool:

Lev
November 7th, 2007, 11:15 AM
ain't got no guitar
ain't got no amp
ain't got no pedals
ain't got noting but the GAS!

pie_man_25
November 7th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Ain't got no money...
Aint got no shoes...
Aint got no woman...
Aint got nothin' but the blues....:cool:

wow, that's lucky considering I'm making a delta blues/hard rock song with my band, kinda reminds me of ZZ top

Bloozcat
November 8th, 2007, 08:05 AM
wow, that's lucky considering I'm making a delta blues/hard rock song with my band, kinda reminds me of ZZ top

Well, feel free to use it pie_man. Blues lyrics have to be the most copied and borrowed in all of music. There's always something about bad women, mean women, cold hearted women, whiskey, buses, bad shoes, trains, fights, bad luck, no luck at all, fixin' to die, cheap wine, honkey tonks, cotton fields, prison - just to name a few.

With just a list of popular blues topics, you can make up any combination of lyrics on the fly. You can even make up funny/sarcastic lyrics:

I woke up late this mornin'
To nuthin' but bad news
The man said son, the market just crashed
I got the low down investors blues
;)

R_of_G
November 8th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Well, feel free to use it pie_man. Blues lyrics have to be the most copied and borrowed in all of music. There's always something about bad women, mean women, cold hearted women, whiskey, buses, bad shoes, trains, fights, bad luck, no luck at all, fixin' to die, cheap wine, honkey tonks, cotton fields, prison - just to name a few.

With just a list of popular blues topics, you can make up any combination of lyrics on the fly. You can even make up funny/sarcastic lyrics:

I woke up late this mornin'
To nuthin' but bad news
The man said son, the market just crashed
I got the low down investors blues
;)

Not to mention, the word "blues" rhymes with so many things that creating your own blues lyrics is easy and fun!

For example...

The alarm started ringin'
I tried to hit snooze
Damn clock was busted
I got the half-asleep blues

Tried to make coffee
But my machine just refused
No caffeine this mornin'
Just the half-asleep blues

Dozed off twice at work
Boss gave me the news
Just another job lost
To those half-asleep blues

and so on...

Tone2TheBone
November 8th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Not to mention, the word "blues" rhymes with so many things that creating your own blues lyrics is easy and fun!

For example...

The alarm started ringin'
I tried to hit snooze
Damn clock was busted
I got the half-asleep blues

Tried to make coffee
But my machine just refused
No caffeine this mornin'
Just the half-asleep blues

Dozed off twice at work
Boss gave me the news
Just another job lost
To those half-asleep blues

and so on...

Aha I found a new songwritin' partner you're hired. :beer:

R_of_G
November 8th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Aha I found a new songwritin' partner you're hired. :beer:

That's what happens when I'm tired and bored at work! I could rhyme things with "blues" all day long.

Bloozcat
November 8th, 2007, 12:48 PM
My cat is a bit of a pig...OK, she's a mess half the time. One day while I was playing my accoustic guitar she came rolling in, full of dirt. Looking at her dirty self I started to sing what is now her anthem...

I stroll into the house
The dirt be fallin down
I jump up on your lap
And I start to roll around

I'm a dirt ball baby
I'm gonna' roll all over you

Yeah, I'm a dirt ball now baby
I'm gonna roll all over you

Roll in the dirt all mornin'
Roll in the dirt all afternoon

BTW: Dirt is pronounced "doit", for all you not familiar with the nuances of blues speak...:D

Tone2TheBone
November 8th, 2007, 02:23 PM
My cat is a bit of a pig...OK, she's a mess half the time. One day while I was playing my accoustic guitar she came rolling in, full of dirt. Looking at her dirty self I started to sing what is now her anthem...

I stroll into the house
The dirt be fallin down
I jump up on your lap
And I start to roll around

I'm a dirt ball baby
I'm gonna' roll all over you

Yeah, I'm a dirt ball now baby
I'm gonna roll all over you

Roll in the dirt all mornin'
Roll in the dirt all afternoon

BTW: Dirt is pronounced "doit", for all you not familiar with the nuances of blues speak...:D

Doit! That wouldn't be the Joisey version would it? ;)

And +2 on the new Holiday honeys avatar Blooz. One of each!

pie_man_25
November 8th, 2007, 06:06 PM

hey tonhe, can we use your fret name as our band name? it just rolls off the tongue so easily, and sounds so great!

ps. if tone refuses, bloozcat, can we use yours?

Tone2TheBone
November 8th, 2007, 11:30 PM
hey tonhe, can we use your fret name as our band name? it just rolls off the tongue so easily, and sounds so great!

ps. if tone refuses, bloozcat, can we use yours?

"It just rolls off the tongue so easily." Yup. I'm glad you like...I invented it. (Rocky quote there). You (may) use my name and you use it proudly little buddy...on one condition...that your band lives up to the name.

:D

Ok that was corny. But it sounded good. :rotflmao: Hey if T2TB is good enough for Robert to use it's good enough for my other friends!

Bloozcat
November 9th, 2007, 10:36 AM

Actually, it's a deep south, delta country, black inflection...although it could certainly come off as Brooklynese as well...:D

There had to be at least one hottie from each camp at that first Thanksgiving, don't you think? Well, at least we can hope so...

pie_man...

Believe it or not, I'm checking into getting a trademark for the name "Bloozcat", because I use it on the guitars I make (and maybe some stomp boxes in the future?). I don't know if anything will come of it, but I'm going to go for it, I think.

pie_man_25
November 10th, 2007, 06:42 PM
pie_man...

Believe it or not, I'm checking into getting a trademark for the name "Bloozcat", because I use it on the guitars I make (and maybe some stomp boxes in the future?). I don't know if anything will come of it, but I'm going to go for it, I think.

you make guitars? dude I'm thinking of doing the same under the name conspiraco (of my own creation, it started out as a joke and a school assignent thing, but now I'm seriously thinking about it), we should talk about this over e- mail, just PM me and I'll e-mail you back, I just need some ideas/advice.

pie_man_25
November 10th, 2007, 06:44 PM
"It just rolls off the tongue so easily." Yup. I'm glad you like...I invented it. (Rocky quote there). You (may) use my name and you use it proudly little buddy...on one condition...that your band lives up to the name.

:D

Ok that was corny. But it sounded good. :rotflmao: Hey if T2TB is good enough for Robert to use it's good enough for my other friends!

thanks a lot man!