PDA

View Full Version : How important is the "bells and wistles" on your amp?

LagrangeCalvert
November 6th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Just wanting to know if all those knobs, switches, built in effects and other whatnots do you actually use on a gigging, tonal shaping basis?

Me personally I just like a two channel 30-100 watt tube combo OR head/small cab. Three tone pots....master volume, effects loop, extension speaker jack and foot switch....but I also like amps that have lots of tonal shaping abilities.

For gigging though, I like to keep it simple.

R_of_G
November 6th, 2007, 06:56 AM
I have a VOX amp with a large number of available tone and amp modeling, and I would have to say I use it all and am glad it's there. As I have said several times before, for me, playing has a LOT to do with tone, and I like having the ability to utilize many different tones at the turn of a knob or two. I spend a good deal of time playing with my amp and determining and writing down combinations of settings to find different tones that I like for different styles of play.

Robert
November 6th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Not at all important to me. My Heatseeker has volume and tone, plus a knob for switching between different gain stages.

I like my Vox too with bells and whistles, but is it important to me? Nah. I have lots of pedals.

birv2
November 6th, 2007, 07:36 AM
My last amp was the Epi Valve Jr head, with the one knob: volume.

I went totally in the other direction with the Vampire: 32 amp models, 15 cab models, gazillion effects, 125 presets. I'm loving the Vampire! Maybe I'm ADD, but I love being able to dial in and tweak all those different sounds.

I am zeroing in on a tone I really love, thanks to themaskedman. But it's great to have all those other options!

Bob
:AOK:

Spudman
November 6th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Just make me louder. I'll take care of the tones.

Tone2TheBone
November 6th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Just make me louder. I'll take care of the tones.

+1

Yup.

Justaguyin_nc
November 6th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Me starting to thinks... Bare Amp with tubes..
then I'll just throw a hundred pedals in when needed!

Tone2TheBone
November 6th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Me starting to thinks... Bare Amp with tubes..
then I'll just throw a hundred pedals in when needed!

Yes of course man you gotta keep your Gilmourish stuff man that stuff is great!

sunvalleylaw
November 6th, 2007, 05:28 PM
I voted #2. I like what LGC says: "Me personally I just like a two channel 30-100 watt tube combo OR head/small cab. Three tone pots....master volume, effects loop, extension speaker jack and foot switch."

I don't really gig professionally, but just play out with my fellow students and instructor, But I still like the above set up which my current amph delivers.

I would not be opposed to getting a Vox or Line6 type amph to have as an alternate and for travel or recording. The toneport works well with my amph for that right now in the effects loop for additional tonal choices now, and in theory I could gig in the town of Ketchum using it hooked up to the free wi-fi in town.

pes_laul
November 6th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I vote 2 because I put it on a clean channel and put it through my floor pod

ted s
November 6th, 2007, 06:30 PM
If it has a cow bell and a train whistle it HAS to be good.