PDA

View Full Version : What is your dream amp?

Robert
November 6th, 2007, 02:07 PM
If you had loads of money burning a hole in your pocket (let's say $20,000.00), and you could only use it for buying an amp, what amp would that be?

The goal with this thread is to find out what your "dream amp" would be.

My answer? I'm not sure yet. I'll have to think about it!

Tone2TheBone
November 6th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Deja vu Rob you already did this one.....

Robert
November 6th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Well I can't find it, so let's make a new one! Come on Tone!

birv2
November 6th, 2007, 02:31 PM
An amp cost $20,000.00???

Yikes!

Robert
November 6th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Hey, it's just food for thought, you can spend as much or as little of the money as you want! The point is, money is not an issue in this figurative scenario, ok? :D

tunghaichuan
November 6th, 2007, 02:52 PM
I owned a Jim Kelley FACS (foot activated channel switching) amp briefly in the mid-90s. I only sold it because I needed the money at the time and have regretted ever since.

http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/jim-kelley-amplifiers/feb-06/17830

It was one of the first "boutique" amps. It had a quartet of 6V6 tubes in the output section running at ultra high plate voltages: 470v+. The manufacturer's spec is 315v, but Fender ran 6V6s over 400v in many of their amps. 470v on the plates is just insane. Jim Kelley spec'd Sylvania 6V6GT tubes as they were the only ones that would last relatively long in that circuit.

Mine was top of the line with a 30w/60w switch, cane grill and hardwood cabinet a la Boogie. It didn't sound like a Boogie, though. It sounded like the biggest, baddest Tweed Deluxe you could imagine.

They are relatively rare, so prices have been creeping up. I'd expect to spend about $2000-$3000 today depending on condition, if I could find one.

tung

Tone2TheBone
November 6th, 2007, 03:01 PM
I owned a Jim Kelley FACS (foot activated channel switching) amp briefly in the mid-90s. I only sold it because I needed the money at the time and have regretted ever since.

http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/jim-kelley-amplifiers/feb-06/17830

It was one of the first "boutique" amps. It had a quartet of 6V6 tubes in the output section running at ultra high plate voltages: 470v+. The manufacturer's spec is 315v, but Fender ran 6V6s over 400v in many of their amps. 470v on the plates is just insane. Jim Kelley spec'd Sylvania 6V6GT tubes as they were the only ones that would last relatively long in that circuit.

Mine was top of the line with a 30w/60w switch, cane grill and hardwood cabinet a la Boogie. It didn't sound like a Boogie, though. It sounded like the biggest, baddest Tweed Deluxe you could imagine.

They are relatively rare, so prices have been creeping up. I'd expect to spend about $2000-$3000 today depending on condition, if I could find one.

tung

I remember the ads for those amps. While I love my own Marshall Jubilee I'm wondering how much one of Jimi's Plexi stacks would run. Half a million? A million? Where are they now anyway does anyone know? If they'd only cost $20,000 then I'd want that.

250Keith
November 6th, 2007, 03:19 PM
20.000.00$, Im easy and dont want much, I would go for a Reinhardt 18watt amp with a set of Greenbacks, and any darn pedal I want.:Dude:

sunvalleylaw
November 6th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Heck, I don't know, I like what I've got. Maybe a cool vintage Fender or Marshall of some kind. Since it is up to 20k and only for one amp, I guess some really cool vintage Marshall stack if I have to pick just one. Lame, unoriginal answer, but it's all I got.

EDIT: Wait, I re-read the question. If it is a dream amph, and I can only pick one with the 20k, it would have to be a nice vintage Fender with warm tones. Bassman, Twin Reverb? I can dirty up the Fender, but can't un-Marshall the Marshall.

ted s
November 6th, 2007, 04:05 PM
For 20k I want the magic one that makes you a better player.

mrmudcat
November 6th, 2007, 04:35 PM
How about a Trainwreck.(north of $20,000 with offers of up to $35,000 for rare models)I want a Bogner Shiva ,Deizel, or a Soldano slo100 in snakeskin. The only trainwreck clone id buy is the fuchs train 45. Also one of the reissue jimi stacks,or a purple jublilee stack would do it for me! or a Hiwatt DR-103 Custom 100 in red( either the david gilmour or pete townshend models) :beer:

TS808
November 6th, 2007, 04:37 PM
It's not quite $20K, but more like $2K....a Fender Vibro King......or maybe a Super Reverb...or.....:D

Katastrophe
November 6th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Either a Fender ProSonic head/cab or a Dr. Z Stang Ray. Man, have I been GASsing over these amphs. I'll settle for this, though :

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V33H-33W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=487052

With a nice 2x12 cabinet.

Spudman
November 6th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Either a Fender ProSonic head/cab or a Dr. Z Stang Ray. Man, have I been GASsing over these amphs. I'll settle for this, though :

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V33H-33W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=487052

With a nice 2x12 cabinet.

A friend of mine has a Prosonic and we've jammed with bands together. That amp is amazing. It sounds great and I love it but it only got one sound out of it. It was a great sound but I'm not sure how versatile they are. Maybe he just only ever gets one sound because of the way he plays. I didn't get to play it myself.

LagrangeCalvert
November 6th, 2007, 11:33 PM
A BadCat would be nice....I would like that or a bunch! Or a fender Bassman head and a JCM 800 with some matching cabs.......and an ABY switch....so basically a three channel amp.

sunvalleylaw
November 7th, 2007, 12:23 AM
One of those Hughes and Kettners, like the Statesman or the Switchblade (I lean toward the Statesmand Quad or Dual EL84 that is demoed in the vid linked in the thread below) also calls me. Nowhere near 20k, but still.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=3462

Lev
November 7th, 2007, 04:56 AM
...do I get 6 months to try them all out before I answer??

I'd probably say a Mesa Lonestar.