PDA

View Full Version : acoustic bridge

grungeiceman
November 6th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Ok My acoustic has a missing peice, Im not sure about the name of it is but its just after the pins and it holds up the strings, its kinda the equivilent of saddles but in one long vanilla color peice. but can i get a replacement? Its a Fender CD 140 I beleive but well any help? Im hoping its a easy fix

sunvalleylaw
November 6th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Yeah, those are generally replaceable, and they make ones out of bone, or that tusq stuff I think, that are supposed to improve tone. I believe it is a pretty easy fix.

Like these things right?

http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/Instrument/Acoustic_guitar/Nuts,_saddles/Vintage_Bone_Saddles.html

grungeiceman
November 6th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Exactly, but I guess installing it and seting it up will be anoying i might have my guitar tech do it for me

YerDugliness
November 6th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Exactly, but I guess installing it and seting it up will be anoying i might have my guitar tech do it for me

You'd be surprised how simple a process adding a bone or ivory saddle is. Here's the source I used recently to get a West African Hard Ivory nut and saddle. The nut I knew would require the services of a luthier, so I took both pieces to him and had him install them both and do a setup on the guitar, but after reading the instructions, I'm certain I could have done the saddle for myself. Here's the website: www.guitarsaddles.com

Most who do this notice a significant improvement in tone when the saddle is replaced. Others, like me, add other upgrades--I have the ivory nut and also have bone bridge pins, but I have my doubts about how much tone improvement comes from the bridge pins. They do look cool, though, and are much more indestructible than the factory plastic bridge pins.

I can't speak for tusq products, though--never had one nor do I know anyone who has.

Hope this helps!

Dugly :cool:

Dreadman
November 7th, 2007, 02:13 PM
The saddle is a breeze to replace if you have an exactly correct replacement. Unfortunately correct replacements are rare. In all practicality you need a luthier or a VERY good tech to custom fit one correctly.

1.) The thickness must be enough that you need pliers to remove it.

2.) The height must be just right for action.

3.) The compensation must be correct for all 6 strings.

4.) The top radius must compliment the radius of the neck.

A lot of places sell "replacement" saddles for different brands but in my observation most aren't right. www.guitarsaddles.com is well respected and has a nice selection but, as an example, they only list one replacement size saddle for all Washburns. I know that Washburn's neck radii are all over the place, even on the same model, and there's no way one saddle will work right for all of them. You need the actual guitar in hand to do it correctly. If the top radius is too small then the middle strings will be higher than the outer ones and vice versa.

If you decide to have a saddle made talk directly to the person who will be doing the work. If he makes it sound like an easy thing or just wants to "drop in a new one", he doesn't know what he's doing.

just strum
November 7th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Dread and Dugly are right, the saddle is a great thing to do to begin doing your own work. The website Dugly noted is one of the better ones out there. Call Bob (it's his site) 912-882-1321 and he will help you out and make sure you get the saddle you need.

There are plenty of "how-to" sites to fit the saddle once it arrives and you can get assistance from people here.

grungeiceman
November 8th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Well I brought it in to the tech and he searched the store and actually had the same guitar i had in the back in the box, it came with a extra saddle so he snatched it outa there for me. I cost less then 5 bucks for it including the work, I noticed the action is a little high and he said i could sand 1/8 inch off the bottom and it should be fine untill i order a good bone one. But that will be the next task then