PDA

View Full Version : SX Guitars?

tremoloman
October 5th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Anyone have any experience with these?

Although I'm a Fender man, it would be nice to have a H-H setup like my old Ibanez for a little dabbling now and then. Thanks to you guys, I've really got my eyes set on this model:

SX SEG1 STD:
http://www.rondomusic.net/seg1std.html

Look just like an Ibanez, except only it costs $140 shipped to my door. I might not be able to resist tomorrow on payday... errr... GAS.... kicking.... IN!

I cannot say no to bargains!!!

EscalonJon
October 6th, 2005, 12:39 AM
For the bux, I'd go for it. I've bought a number of Agiles from Rondo. I don't know if you can tell, but I'm stoked on Agile. If the SXs are anywhere near the same value, you will be very happy. From what I've heard, though, you may have to do a bit of tinkering to get the set up sorted out. Get one and let us know how they are. If it really sucks, you can probably return it. Bargains rock, and half the excitement is making it better, and making it yours.

tremoloman
October 6th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Well said EscalonJon! I'm going to go for it. I looked around the web and they seem to get very good reviews. I can't believe a Floyd Rose equipped guitar could be so cheap. I just hope it doesn't feel the same as the cost! :)

I'll keep you all updated and post some pics when it comes in.

Cheap guitars rock!

tremoloman
October 6th, 2005, 01:23 PM
I pulled the trigger... I ordered the SX SEG1 STD. I'll post a review, some pics, and even sound sound clips if I can ever figure out my dang recorder!

tremoloman
October 21st, 2005, 07:48 AM
Ok, after a couple of weeks of playing, I have to say the SX is a great guitar for the money!

The neck is awesome and is worth the price alone. The tuners are crap as expected, but that doesn't matter much on a floyd rose fitted guitar since the nut gets locked. The bridge is somewhat cheap feeling due to the inferior metal used, but it does the job well. The real suprise to me was how great the pickups are! You can get either great metal, blues, and jazz sounds out of this thing. I've never heard such good acoustics from a floyd rose fitted axe before. I was also suprised how well this guitar was packed from the factory. It came with a full set of allen wrenches to boot.

If you are looking for a great guitar for short scratch, I'd recommend the SX for sure! I might get another one for a Christmas gift.

marnold
October 21st, 2005, 09:46 AM
I've heard great things about the Agile guitars from Rondo. They just came out with a Floyd-equipped Les Paul-style that looks killer. Check it out here. (http://www.rondomusic.net/al2500blkfloydrose.html) No affiliation, yadda, yadda.

Robert
October 21st, 2005, 10:42 AM
Holy crap, those SX guitars are cheap! I smell GAS! Tremoloman, how does the quality compare to the '51? I'd love an SX Les Paul! And I need a bass badly!!!

tremoloman
November 3rd, 2005, 09:29 PM
Robert,

It did need some tightneing of screws and a decent setup, but the quality is spot on as the '51! The neck is really nice, and the pickups are really good!

I now remember why I sold my Ibanez in the first place - man is this body shape uncomfortable to play for me! This has nothing to do with the SX itself... I just keep bumping into the Floyd Rose and knocking it out of tune.

I wish I had taken a picture of it when I took it out of the box - it was packaged better than any guitar that came without a case I have ever seen!

The body is solid, the neck is great, and the electronics are solid! The tuners are absolute crap, but since this is a Floyd Rose guitar, it really doesn't matter.

I will get another SX in the future, that's for sure!

Want me to post some pics?

marnold
November 3rd, 2005, 09:56 PM
Want me to post some pics?

Why yes, I do!

Robert
November 4th, 2005, 03:02 PM
:R
Me too!
:R

tremoloman
November 8th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Ok, I'll take a few photos for you guys. My digital camera doesn't take good pictures indoors, so let me wait until I can do it outside. Another day or two and I should be able to get some good shots for you. :)

Spudman
January 2nd, 2006, 02:39 PM
Not to rain on anyone's parade but more to just inform

I recently purchased an SX 57 Strat SB with maple neck. Here is what I encountered: Beautiful finish, neck pocket was a tight fit, pickups sounded great, neck was a round semi thick vintage feel. Pretty nice guitar - until set up time. It came with really high action. No problem I just lowered it. But, there was a good sized bump in the neck where it joins to the body. It would have requirred a lot of work and expense to remove it so I sent it back.

Mostly I think I just got a bad one. The majority of the owners posting reviews don't have the problem that I had. Rondo took it back no problem. Their service is first rate.

Now, if anyone has tried the SX STL 50 telecaster I'd like to hear some feedback on that guitar. $109 seems like a steal!