PDA

View Full Version : Have a cigar

Justaguyin_nc
November 7th, 2007, 05:16 PM
And when you do.. which might it be?

I been stuck on La Gloria Cubana Corona Gorda lately..
natural wrapper... My coffee smoke.

I been tempted to try some of the Acid brand, but as of yet have not.

:beer:

Algonquin
November 7th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Haven't had one for quite a while, but always thought a Montecristo # 4 was a good cigar.

I may have one on special occasions... but that's it.

Robert
November 7th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Quit smoking, guys! That stuff will kill ya! Have a beer and go for a run instead. :D

Algonquin
November 7th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Good advice... but if I had a beer now and went for a run, there'd be a better chance of me keeling over!

I'm just going to go for a walk and enjoy the cool weather.

Spudman
November 7th, 2007, 06:08 PM
What a coincidence...I just finished watching the movie "Thank You For Smoking" and I log on to find this thread. You must be nuts to do that to your body.

just strum
November 7th, 2007, 06:24 PM
What a coincidence...I just finished watching the movie "Thank You For Smoking" and I log on to find this thread. You must be nuts to do that to your body.

Addiction is a very tough thing to deal with, no matter what the addiction. Tobacco is one of the toughest.

However, this is about what cigars we smoke. I use to have the occasional cigar when golfing, but never really enjoyed them. When I did smoke them, one of my machine shop suppliers use to send me 3 to 4 dozen cuban cigars every few months (there is a good Seinfeld episode about Cubans), I would smoke one or two and give the rest away.

Justaguyin_nc
November 7th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Addiction is a very tough thing to deal with, no matter what the addiction. Tobacco is one of the toughest.

However, this is about what cigars we smoke. .

Exactly right, this is about smoking thread.. please respect others.
I wouldn't tread on a running thread...;)

Smoking can be enjoyable.. and everything kills you.

your not getting out of this world alive.

I just asked what you smoke if you do...

:spank:

pass if you don't...

I really need to try some more brands, someone suggest please.

on a side note: I heard sex kills.. but I doubt people will quit doing it...

just strum
November 7th, 2007, 06:53 PM
on a side note: I heard sex kills.. but I doubt people will quit doing it...

I think my wife has:mad: :mad: :mad:

luvmyshiner
November 7th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I think my wife has:mad: :mad: :mad:

Dude, are you sure you didn't marry one of my ex's???:messedup:

I do enjoy the occasional cigar. Maybe once or twice a year. Not enough to suggest any specific brands, although CB loves a good Cohiba.:AOK: But we have to buy those out of the country.:(

Spudman
November 7th, 2007, 07:50 PM
I just asked what you smoke if you do...

Bob Marley could tell you. I can't.;)

Justaguyin_nc
November 7th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Bob Marley could tell you. I can't.;)

I think he smokes Jamaican... Umm not sure...:)

Cohiba... hmmmm.. I always wanted to try a Cuban... never have yet.
I hear/read they are very strong cigars..

I like flavor..But I want to be able to stand afterward..

The above would relate to Marley or Cubans..

:crazyguy:

just strum
November 7th, 2007, 08:31 PM
[

... I always wanted to try a Cuban... never have yet.
I hear/read they are very strong cigars..

I like flavor..But I want to be able to stand afterward..

The above would relate to Marley or Cubans..

:crazyguy:

If I can get some Cubans I will let you know. If I can track down the guy who use to get them for me, I will definitely forward you some.

The difficult part is tracking him down. He has an orchard in Lebanon and makes frequent trips over there. He's probably in with Hezbollah, but uses the orchard as a front. Anyway, it's a longshot, but I will see what I can do.

R_of_G
November 8th, 2007, 06:47 AM
My dad, my brother and myself used to smoke cigars when we played golf. I believe Monte Cristo's were my dad's brand. He had a minor heart-attack a few years ago [he is in good health now thankfully] and had to give up smoking cigars, so my brother and I basically did as well since we only smoked them together anyway. We did all have one two years ago at my brother's wedding, and I suspect I will smoke one next year when my child is born, but that's pretty much it for cigars for me. On the subject of tobacco, I did recently quit smoking cigarettes, and with any luck, will never have another. Since my wife became pregnant it was easy to quit as I (a) don't want to smoke anywhere near her, and (b) want to be as healthy as possible now that I am going to be a father.

One more thing, Spud mentioned the film "Thanks for Smoking." If you have not seen it, it is an awesome movie, and an even better book.:AOK:

Bloozcat
November 8th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Romeo y Julieta #2 Pyramide - Cuban
Monte Cristo #2 - Cuban
Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Presidente 6-1/4"X50 - Dominican
La Gloria Cubana Churchill Natural or Maduro 7"x50 - Dominican
Hoyo de Monterrey Churchill Natural 6-1/4"X45 - Honduran
Puros Indios Especial Pyramid Natural or Maduro 7-1/2"X60 - Honduran

To name a few...:)

To me a good cigar is a real pleasure that I only indulge in occasionally. I do not inhale them (I'd probably pass out if I did!), and I almost always smoke them outside where the smoke can drift away with the breezes. My favorite drink with a cigar is a nice sniffer of Gran Marnier (OK, I'd rather have Louis Tre, but I can't afford it), or a nice glass of port.

The air that I do inhale when visiting NYC or LA is probably considerably worse than any incidental smoke I might breath from a cigar. And unlike cigarettes that have beau coup chemicals in them, these cigars are at least all natural (which is more than I can say for the air in the afore mentioned cities).

Ro3b
November 8th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Neither I nor anybody else I know who smokes cigars is addicted to them. Enjoying a good cigar requires an investment of an hour or more of relative idleness. I don't have time for more than maybe two a week, max. They're a whole different world from cigarettes. One is a glass of wine, the other is a syringe.

I like just about anything Honduran. My humidor is currently full of Punch After Dinner maduros and El Rey del Mundo Robustos Largas.

Big_Rob
November 8th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Myself, I like medium bodied smokes such as Sancho Panzas or Romeo Y Julieta 1875's. I usually go with something in the 5x50 area when ever I do smoke a stoggie.

Tone2TheBone
November 8th, 2007, 11:14 AM
I had a Monte Cristo #1 Cuban once for New Years. Tasted like crap or what I would imagine crap to umm taste like. I thought oh yeahhh MC #1 this is going to be good.....wasn't. A cheap rum dipped Capone was good...when I used to smoke.

Algonquin
November 8th, 2007, 11:25 AM
I had a Monte Cristo #1 Cuban once for New Years. Tasted like crap or what I would imagine crap to umm taste like. I thought oh yeahhh MC #1 this is going to be good.....wasn't. A cheap rum dipped Capone was good...when I used to smoke.

Unfortunately... there is a huge amount of conterfeiting going on with cigars.

Tone2TheBone
November 8th, 2007, 11:38 AM

A friend of mine lived in Cuba for over a year playing in "salsa bands". He is one hell of a bass player. He apparently brought back with him a box of #1s. He didn't say how he did it. These were real I saw the box as it was opened that New Years Eve. Unless he got ripped off in Cuba! Looked real to me unopened though.

Ro3b
November 8th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Hm, I wonder if the box had been stored properly? A dried-out cigar is a miserable thing, Habano or not.

Tone2TheBone
November 8th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Hm, I wonder if the box had been stored properly? A dried-out cigar is a miserable thing, Habano or not.

Dunno but I can tell you that it was dry. Harsh really. That was probably the case there.

Bloozcat
November 8th, 2007, 12:26 PM
A friend of mine lived in Cuba for over a year playing in "salsa bands". He is one hell of a bass player. He apparently brought back with him a box of #1s. He didn't say how he did it. These were real I saw the box as it was opened that New Years Eve. Unless he got ripped off in Cuba! Looked real to me unopened though.

Cuban cigars have to be one of the easiest "contraband" items to get. There are so many loopholes. If a person has clearance to travel to Cuba - and there are more of them than you'd think - he can legally bring back a certain dollar amount in goods (I think it's around $300-$400 IIRC).

I have a friend who's a doctor and of Cuban descent. He has another doctor friend who is also of Cuban heritage, who travels back to Cuba regularly. When he comes back, he brings a couple of boxes of cigars with him for my friend. The sealed boxes are straight from the factory. They're mostly #2 and #4 Monte Cristo's, with some Romeo y Julieta's and Cohiba's occasionally as well. You can also buy them in the Bahamas, but you're not supposed to bring them back into the US from there (yeah, right...like anyone cares). I've even brought some back from England when I've been there. I just changed the labels to some "free world" cigar labels that I brought with me. I mailed the real labels back when I first bought the cigars.

And of course, our Canadian brothers can buy them right there in Canada...

Justaguyin_nc
November 8th, 2007, 12:38 PM

Problems in the Cigar world.. and more to come

ygvjNmqU0rU

Why don't they just TAX Fast Food Chains and running shoe stores..

Than people will eat better and quit running around with their heads chopped off.

And have time to enjoy a decent Cigar...;)

BTW Ro3B: thanks for the tip on El Rey del Mundo Robustos Largas, Looks like a decent Cigar at an affordable price.. (At least for now)
Gonna give them a try.

Jimi75
November 8th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Sorry, but I am a non smoker. Don't know if it makes a difference smoking a cigar or a cigarette. To me it all tastes horrible.

Bloozcat
November 8th, 2007, 01:16 PM
It's the height of hypocracy that these people want to "provide health care" from the taxes on tobacco products. First they tell everbody that smoking is bad (which it is), then they say that they are going to increase taxes on smokers to fund health care?

So, OK, don't smoke, but keep on smoking because we need the revenue for another government program. Of course it makes no sense. Statistics show that smoking is declining every year in the US. But, if they can use the tax on evil tobacco ploy to get the program started, they'll have their foot in the door. Once tobacco taxes can no longer sustain the inevitable growth of this "health care program", they'll shift the burden onto the backs of all tax payers. A stealth tax is all this is.

When all of this crap about taxing the tobacco companies started several years ago, it was here in Florida where the first battle took place. The state of Florida - without voter approval I might add - decided to file a lawsuit against the tobacco companies because the tabacco companies allegedly marketed their product to an unsuspecting public and due to this, caused terrible harm to the public. Well, since I was a kid, cigarettes were known as "coffin nails", and "cancer sticks". We weren't unsuspecting or naive at all, we all knew the dangers that cigarettes posed.

The biggest mistake that the tobacco companies made, was not to simply agree with the state of Florida that cigarettes were bad and stop shipment of all product to the state of Florida...overnight. The loss of tax revenue would have had the legislators on their knees (where they belong), begging the tobacco companies to please ship their product again and save the sorry a**es of the lame legislature. It would have been a thoroughly amusing event to watch as those toadies were forced to explain themselves.

I'm not a cigarette smoker, and as I stated, I enjoy a good cigar only on occasion. But, I am a self sufficient, free man, who absolutely hates government intrusion into areas of my life where they don't belong...which is most all areas of my life. The best government is a small government, and the best regulation is self regulation as determined by the people themselves.

OK, I'm off my soapbox....:D

Justaguyin_nc
November 8th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I should have realized...
everything can be found on youtube..
Here is a young guy (who already realizes the dangers thank you very much)
reviewing different Cigars.. I am sure there are more out there.. just found this interesting..

http://www.youtube.com/user/xxwaldoxx

Big_Rob
November 8th, 2007, 03:23 PM
@Justaguy

read my signature!

Ro3b
November 8th, 2007, 08:23 PM
BTW Ro3B: thanks for the tip on El Rey del Mundo Robustos Largas, Looks like a decent Cigar at an affordable price.. (At least for now)
Gonna give them a try.

You'll love 'em. They're fairly heavy-bodied without being too strong, just delicious. One of the best non-Cubans made IMHO. Another really good cheap smoke that I haven't seen mentioned here is Maria Mancini. I like the "Magic Mountain," a 54 x 6 toro, and the "DeGaulle," a 50 x 4.75 robusto. Both in maduro; maduros in general rock my world.

Justaguyin_nc
November 16th, 2007, 07:07 PM
You'll love 'em. They're fairly heavy-bodied without being too strong, just delicious. One of the best non-Cubans made IMHO. Another really good cheap smoke that I haven't seen mentioned here is Maria Mancini. I like the "Magic Mountain," a 54 x 6 toro, and the "DeGaulle," a 50 x 4.75 robusto. Both in maduro; maduros in general rock my world.

El Rey del Mundo Robustos Largas works for me!
First light I thought it was going to be heavy flavored and pepper..
Then it started to sweeten/mellow up..
pretty good flavor and not overly amount of smoke.
Turned out to be a pretty good smoke Ro3b, thank you!!
I liked the wrapping bands and white wrapper, was suprised they put the band on the outside..
Burns nice and even... I babied it for about 1 1/2 hours..;)
I liked the middle the best...:)
Will buy again..
I got the Maria's now to but have yet to try one...

Rabies
November 16th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Hey folks!

This is the second smoking related thread I've seen here today. The other was a thread about how indoor smoking was banned in some city...can't remember which one. I think that is great. Smoking indoors IS ridiculous. If you have to smoke, just go outside...even at home. I do. It might suck when the weather is at the extremes, but oh well.

I am a smoker. I know that smoking is bad for you. It's a nasty habit. And an even worse addiction.

But, all you non smokers...enough already. We know it's bad...we know you don't like it...we know we should quit. It's being banned almost everywhere you go. And that's fine with me. I'm all for it. I would love to quit. But right now, I just can't...trust me, I've tried.

Everyone knows that smoking can eventually kill you. Everything can kill you. Seriously... Even running can kill you. Just about a month ago, I remember hearing about local a guy that was going for his usual run. He was found face down dead. Perfect health. Non smoker. Autopsy results later showed no underlying health problems, no foul play. No brain aneurisms, just NOTHING. It was determined that he just died...running. He just killed himself by running.

Smoking is bad. If someone wants to do it, that's their own business. I've always been courteous to those around me and even in my own home...do it outside. Of course, others aren't as courteous. Smoke bans are being started in cities across the world....and I'm fine with it. I think it's a good thing. Even though I'm a smoker.

In a nutshell: Smoking may be harmful to everyones health...but non smokers, please lay off with the 'it's bad for you, you should stop...I don't understand why you would want to do that'...

I mean, come on...don't you think that's enough already? :deadhorse:

SuperSwede
November 17th, 2007, 01:24 AM
I enjoy the casual cigar, but not too often since I quit smoking cigarettes a couple of years ago. What I really like is smoking pipe!
Borkum Riff Whiskey Pipe Tobacco :)

Ro3b
November 17th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Hey Justa, glad you like the ERdMs. I got all inspired and bought a new box of them a couple of days ago myself. Yum, by god, yum. Like Tom Robbins said, a cigar is a banana for the monkey of the soul.

Justaguyin_nc
November 27th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Yum, by god, yum..
IF you want to repeat that.. try this 8 cigar sampler of Hoyo De Monterrey Dark Sumatra cigars! They blew me away.. $20.00 for the 8 in a box.. full body.. full flavor.. Just the right taste...

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=cig_view&itemcode=HMDS8

tot_Ou_tard
November 28th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Romeo y Julieta #2 Pyramide - Cuban
Monte Cristo #2 - Cuban
Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Presidente 6-1/4"X50 - Dominican
La Gloria Cubana Churchill Natural or Maduro 7"x50 - Dominican
Hoyo de Monterrey Churchill Natural 6-1/4"X45 - Honduran
Puros Indios Especial Pyramid Natural or Maduro 7-1/2"X60 - Honduran

Nice list Bloozcat!

However, I usually smoke pipe tobacco when I smoke.

I like a good full English Blend rich with latakia, eg Penzance by Esoterica Tobbacciana.

Hey Justa, glad you like the ERdMs. I got all inspired and bought a new box of them a couple of days ago myself. Yum, by god, yum. Like Tom Robbins said, a cigar is a banana for the monkey of the soul.

A Tom Robbins quote!!!! That made my day Ro3B.

SS, I never tried Borkum Riff, but I don't really like aromatic tobaccos.

I go a year or two without smoking & then I'll smoke a bowl of pipe tobacco every day for a few months & then the occaisional cigar or pipe & then off for a year.

It depends on my mood.

SuperSwede
November 28th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Nice list Bloozcat!

However, I usually smoke pipe tobacco when I smoke.

I like a good full English Blend rich with latakia, eg Penzance by Esoterica Tobbacciana.

A Tom Robbins quote!!!! That made my day Ro3B.

SS, I never tried Borkum Riff, but I don't really like aromatic tobaccos.

I go a year or two without smoking & then I'll smoke a bowl of pipe tobacco every day for a few months & then the occaisional cigar or pipe & then off for a year.

It depends on my mood.

Tot, you should really try to get some McBarens Plumcake. Its a mild(ish) pipe tobacco with only a hint of plumcake. Very smooth :)

Justaguyin_nc
November 28th, 2007, 03:50 PM
My Grandpa had a thousand pipes.. and I always liked the aroma comming from them.. after a long day on the farm he would sit and light one..

I tried..but just cannot find a pipe that feels comfy.. I guess I always feel like an older gentleman smokes those.. someday I will find a pipe that fits.

tot_Ou_tard
November 28th, 2007, 09:06 PM
My Grandpa had a thousand pipes.. and I always liked the aroma comming from them.. after a long day on the farm he would sit and light one..

I tried..but just cannot find a pipe that feels comfy.. I guess I always feel like an older gentleman smokes those.. someday I will find a pipe that fits.

I was 30 when my wife bought me my first pipe for my birthday.

Ro3b
November 30th, 2007, 01:04 PM
IF you want to repeat that.. try this 8 cigar sampler of Hoyo De Monterrey Dark Sumatra cigars! They blew me away.. $20.00 for the 8 in a box.. full body.. full flavor.. Just the right taste...

Oh, yeah. I got a Villazon sampler from JR a couple of months ago, and the dark Sumatra was the standout in the box. Definitely going to pick up more of those; they're just about perfect.