PDA

View Full Version : Absolute NO GOS!

Jimi75
November 8th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Mostly things we did wrong when we started playing but nowadays we look back with a smile.

1. Changing single strings instead of the entire set when the string didn't break but you feel that one is rusty and makes problems *lol*

2. Puttin stickers on your guitar. The only allowed exception is a cool looking vargas pin up like on my JV Strat!

3. Hanging the guitar an inch above your knees only, because it looks cool...

4. Playing solos in a guitar store - OMG!!!!

what more can you add....????

Brian Krashpad
November 8th, 2007, 01:47 PM
I still change single strings. Too many guitars to change sets, I'd go broke.

Though for a big show I will occasionally do a full-set change on a given guitar.

Remembering to loop your guitar cord through the strap so it can't be pulled out was a good thing to learn.

Also, the proper way to wind strings on posts was something I didn't know how to do for years!

abraxas
November 8th, 2007, 02:07 PM
1. Changing single strings instead of the entire set when the string didn't break but you feel that one is rusty and makes problems *lol*

Yeap. Used to do that a lot.

2. Puttin stickers on your guitar. The only allowed exception is a cool looking vargas pin up like on my JV Strat!

Never did that, but I did something much much worse recently, when it's finished I'll show you!

3. Hanging the guitar an inch above your knees only, because it looks cool...

Nope.

4. Playing solos in a guitar store - OMG!!!!

Hey!! Heeeey!! Wait a minute! I still do that!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Tone2TheBone
November 8th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Probably one of the commonest things done is to put your beer on top of your amp. sssssssssssssssssss Lucky that wasn't my amp that time yikes.... ;)

Plank_Spanker
November 8th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Using a two prong adaptor to try and kill hum...........................

The line voltage feels lovely coursing through your mouth from the mic.............

Robert
November 8th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Drink too much before a gig?

Spudman
November 8th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Holding my plugged in guitar by the neck and simultaneously touching the lighting rig. I saw colors we didn't have gels for.:messedup:

Jimi75
November 8th, 2007, 03:31 PM

A classic NO GO!

pes_laul
November 8th, 2007, 03:43 PM
playing smoke on the water in a music store:)

250Keith
November 8th, 2007, 03:53 PM
playing smoke on the water in a music store:)

Or stair way to heaven

Tone2TheBone
November 8th, 2007, 04:26 PM
"No Stairway? Denied!"

1HSJGj0HUn8

Plank_Spanker
November 8th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Holding my plugged in guitar by the neck and simultaneously touching the lighting rig. I saw colors we didn't have gels for.:messedup:

LOL! :D

I'll add:

Playing barefoot on a concrete floor

Using a guitar cord for speaker cable

jpfeifer
November 8th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Here are some that I've encountered

- Not using strap locks (dropped at least 1 guitar before I wised up)

- Agreed to play with a jazz-fusion band at a biker bar (we were nearly killed until we abandoned our song list and started playing blues :-)

- Tried to bypass a blown amp fuse with the 'ol wadded up tin foil trick
Almost killed myself the next day when I had to remove the tin foil and got nailed by the residual power in the bypass caps connected to the transformer, This is the reason I started using modeling amps by my wife's orders!

sunvalleylaw
November 8th, 2007, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE=Tone2TheBone]"No Stairway? Denied!"

"Wayne's World Clip"

LOL!! I gotta rent that again!!! and I'll put Bill and Ted's Excellent adventure and Fast Times at Ridgemont high in the que too!.

Be excellent to each other, people!

Plank_Spanker
November 8th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Gig related, but still rookie moves:

Not having spare fuses for your amp and PA gear - did the "foil maneuver" back in the day.................

Not having a spare guitar - that is tuned and ready to grab at a moment's notice

Not having basic tools to fix those things that always seem to get crushed or stepped on

Not having spare cables

Non gig related:

Keeping strings on a guitar until they are certifiable bio-hazards and wondering why the guitar sounds so bad

Boiling strings

..................brings back memories. :D

SuperSwede
November 9th, 2007, 01:12 AM
- Agreed to play with a jazz-fusion band at a biker bar (we were nearly killed until we abandoned our song list and started playing blues :-)
[/I]

Lol... that reminds me of the bar scene in Blues Brothers :D
Was there a net between the band and the crowd?

LagrangeCalvert
November 9th, 2007, 01:29 AM

drink too much AFTER the gig....before packing up..thats the pits.:crazyguy:

Play a bar gig and have your stuff plugged into the same circuit as the NEONS!

Dont soundcheck before the gig (get your levels)

Don't get a guitar setup when changing string gauges <~~ rookie move

Play songs with nothing but power chords.

Restring a guitar and not stretch the strings or "set" them

jpfeifer
November 9th, 2007, 09:06 AM
No, there was no net between the stage and the band, but we needed one.
We launched into our first song at that gig and this big guy with a handlebar mustache jumps up on the stage and grabs our bass player and shouts "Play some f&%!@-ing blues!" We stopped our song right them and started making up blues songs to play. We almost got our butt's whooped! I laugh about it now, but it was pretty scary when it happened.

-- Jim

just strum
November 9th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Geez, as a beginner I haven't gotten through half of these yet. Even being forewarned I will probably still find myself in the same predicament.

LagrangeCalvert
November 9th, 2007, 12:57 PM
HEY.....why doesn't after this thread has just about died down and put all the "rookie no no's" into a nice little organized sticky and call it "The rookies survival guide to guitars and gigging"

LagrangeCalvert
November 9th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Another don't when gigging.....

DO NOT wait till after you play a show to settle on a price...don't let the owner, or person who is responsible for paying you say "lets see how it goes". Get your price in writing BEFORE you play.

Do not forget the names of the other artists your sharing the stage with on any given night.

Spudman
November 9th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Don't have sex with another band member's girlfriend or wife during the break. Bad karma.:spank:

Keep your eye on your guitar(s) and take it/them with you when you leave the building. Don't make it anybody else's responsibility.

Always get your own drinks from the bar. Never trust what someone else gives you.:messedup:

Always ask the drummer if he has his cymbals and sticks before you leave for the gig.

Get the band vehicle maintained regularly by a reputable mechanic.

Never let your sound and light guys have an open bar tab.Please don't ask me how I know these things.:o

luvmyshiner
November 9th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Don't pee on your guitars. It may work for dogs, but your wife won't like it (right Rocket?).:messedup: