PDA

View Full Version : Best Advice

just strum
November 8th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Ok, this may or probably has been done before, but again, new people and passing time may provide some different/new responses.

This is something people at all experience levels can answer.

What are some of the things that you've done that had a big and/or positive impact on your playing?

Since I am a beginner, the things I have to offer are very simple:

1) Push yourself to play without staring at your fret hand. Sounds like simple advice, but besides further condition of muscle memory, I find I am more relaxed when doing this. It's not a case of never looking at your fret hand, but minimize it.

2) Repetition. If it's a song or a riff, take it in chunks, get real comfortably with it before moving on.

3) Play with at least one other person when possible. I have limited access to people that play, but those times the opportunity is available, the time is much more productive.

4) practice, practice, practice.

Spudman
November 8th, 2007, 09:29 PM
We mentioned something about playing with yourself in the dark a while back. That was so that you couldn't see the fretboard. I think it got twisted a little bit if you know what I mean,;) but it's still a good idea. It makes you use your ears.

Repetition is essential in the beginning. You need to develop muscle memory and stamina. Be sure to do only the good or correct things repetitively. You don't want to ingrain bad habits.

The biggest thing for me was to go see as many live players as possible. I'd always try to stand right in front of them or make sure I had a clear line of sight so that I could see everything they were doing. It's inspirational, informative and you'll see what works and what doesn't work, and the best part is that you ask them questions maybe after the show or on a break.

sunvalleylaw
November 8th, 2007, 10:06 PM
My advice comes straight from advice I received from members here:

1. Refine and perfect your pick grip. Robert does a video on his site. That very simple thing affects many other things in your control and the effectiveness of your right hand. (or left if you play lefty).

2. Play along with music, musicians and a drummer or metronome. (Early advice from Spud)

3. Find melodies that you know and find different ways to play them. Even on one string, ie play "Silent Night" on the high E string only, and in other ways on the fretboard. Breaks you out of worrying about what scale you are in and helps you find melodies on the board. (Again from Spud)

4. Practice the stuff that is hard for you, Pareto's Rule. See Jimi75's thread on the topic.

5. Probably the most important for me, have fun! It is called Playing! (lots of people, but Oldguy and Tone2theBone have driven that one home with me).

250Keith
November 8th, 2007, 10:21 PM
I find just free playing helps me alot, as in free playing I mean jumping in on anything that sounds good to you a commercial, anything on the radio.
I think it helps with muscle memory.

Dreadman
November 8th, 2007, 11:01 PM
For me a series of commitments have reinforced my playing in a big way. I didn't realize it at the time but growing my hair (almost waist length) was a huge long term commitment directly related to guitar playing. Once the hair got long I looked like a serious guitar player so subconsciously I felt I was a serious guitar player and that I damn well better live up to the image. Of course I would've still played if I had to have short hair but it helped in that it was a constant reminder. No matter where I went or what I did the reminder was hanging right in front of my eyes.

Another thing I did along those same lines was to buy a guitar I absolutely couldn't afford (Charvel Model 6!). I was eighteen and paid on a high interest, thousand dollar BenCharge loan for more than two years. That was a serious reminder too. I only bought it because I really, really wanted it but looking back I think the commitment pushed me to work harder.

Having a guitar tattooed on your arm would probably have the same effect.

Tone2TheBone
November 8th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I read in an old GP Magazine once that Edward V.H. said that he played constantly even while watching television. I took that to heart and did the same thing over the years and I found that it helps your mind separate your conscious effort on the fretboard and helps guide your body (hands, insight, subconscious) to approach your instrument by feel and instinct. Watch the boobtube...play that geetar. Almost likened to Obi Wan instructing Luke to put the blast shield on when engaging "laser" spitting remotes. Allowing the force to "flow within you". Edward and Star Wars were tops at the time so what the hell...I did what they told me. :AOK:

R_of_G
November 9th, 2007, 08:39 AM
My advice kind of reiterates some of what has already been said, but all of these things have had a large impact on my development as a player so I will share anyway...

1. Play along with recorded music. This is obviously helpful if you are trying to learn a specific song or riff, but even when just improv'ing. Simply find something to play that complements what is already on the recording. This will go a long way towards teaching you to listen to others as you play which is key to playing with others. The more comfortable you become with finding your own space in a piece of music, the easier it will be to know what to play when you play with other musicians. I listen to a lot of jazz, and a lot of it does not have guitars, so I find it useful to play along with these recordings as if I were the guitar player on the session.

2. Record yourself. Whatever means you can find to record yourself playing, be it through a computer or an "old school" tape machine, try to find a way to record yourself playing, and record as much of your playing, even when you are just screwing around, as possible. This will allow you to go back and find elements of your playing that you are pleased with as well as illustrate which parts of your playing need more focused practice. It's also an invaluable tool for cataloguing musical ideas. Even if I am just noodling around for 20 minutes or so, there might me 30 second here or a riff there or something that stands out later as a musical idea that can be built on later. Listening back to your own recordings is a great way to develop critical thinking skills, which you can then use to help analyze not only your own play, but everything else you listen to.

3. See live music. Especially players you love and admire, but there is a value to seeing most live music. Someone mentioned earlier, and I agree completely, try to get as close to the guitar player as possible to see what is he/she is doing with their hands to get the sounds you're hearing. I will continue to contend that 90% of a guitar player's tone is in their hands, so watching how they use their hands to create the sounds. When I saw Marc Ribot in 2002 I was lucky enough to get their early and plant myself right in front of his setup and watch him play from less than three feet away for 3 hours. I cannot tell you how many different things I learned that night and continue to try and incorporate into my own playing. All guitarists have something to show you [positive or negative] and the more live music you see the more opportunities you have to watch.

Finally, I just want to add, JUST KEEP PLAYING. Every player at every level has off days or rut periods. Play yourself through it. Guitar can be both the most rewarding and the most frustrating thing in the world. It's important to learn how to take that frustration and turn it into inspiration to keep going.

mrmudcat
November 9th, 2007, 04:18 PM
#1) Let me add one for the youngins or those starting out. A little trick from an old blues soul that really helped me not to look at my fret hand or board was to practice in front of a mirror.That way you can look straight ahead(at your fret hand:) ) or make those funny guitar faces in the mirror instead of looking at the fretboard while practicing scales:rotflmao:

#2) practice practice

#3 Learn the blues:munch:

just strum
November 9th, 2007, 07:36 PM
2. Record yourself. Whatever means you can find to record yourself playing, be it through a computer or an "old school" tape machine, try to find a way to record yourself playing, and record as much of your playing, even when you are just screwing around, as possible. This will allow you to go back and find elements of your playing that you are pleased with as well as illustrate which parts of your playing need more focused practice. It's also an invaluable tool for cataloguing musical ideas. Even if I am just noodling around for 20 minutes or so, there might me 30 second here or a riff there or something that stands out later as a musical idea that can be built on later. Listening back to your own recordings is a great way to develop critical thinking skills, which you can then use to help analyze not only your own play, but everything else you listen to.

I've heard people recommend or suggest recording almost every session, no matter how short or long before. However, I never really give too much reasoning behind it except "so you can recognize your progress" and that is certainly a good reason. R_of_G I must admit you put a little more value to it - good advice.

just strum
November 9th, 2007, 07:37 PM
#1)

#3 Learn the blues:munch:

I'm trying.

luvmyshiner
November 9th, 2007, 08:05 PM
The big thing I'm working on right now is practicing bar chords. I can finally play them now, but it takes . . . like, five minutes to transition to one. But I'm beginning to see how they will take my playing to an entirely new level, and I like it!:beer:

kiteman
December 8th, 2007, 05:02 AM
The CAGED system. That just made a whole lot of senses about chord shapes and because of it I understood my fretboard much better.

Triads, inversions, scales, chords? It's all in there. :)

My playing has gotten so much better than I had in years, I just know my fretboard better.

TS808
December 8th, 2007, 07:35 AM
*Take Lessons, no matter how advanced. For me it did two things: gave me the opportunity to polish up on certain areas that needed some work, and it gave me the chance to learn new styles/scales that I normally don't use. It helped to expand my "library" so to speak.

*Play with another guitarist. Even if it's lessons, or a garage band, the experience of playing along with another guitarist is invaluable.

*Buy some recording software and experiment. Recording software is almost as good as playing with other musicians (not quite, but for us hobbyists, it works). Developing rhythm tracks, bass tracks, and solo tracks really makes one think.

*Practice phrases or riffs. Take a stab at composing. Playing someone else's songs and composing (to me) are two different things. It's much harder for me to come up with my own material than it is to play someone else's music.

*Have fun with playing. I set reasonable goals for myself. I know I'll never be a Joe Satriani or Joe Bonamassa...work withing your strengths and limitations and make the best of it. Develop your own unique style.

*Mix it up...just like if you're lifting weights, change your "routine" every so often so as not to get stale. I noticed myself falling into "ruts" or "comfort zones" every so often, and the only way to get out of it is to change things up and try a new routine.

*Keep coming back to music forums (like this one). Listen to some of the member soundclips and pay attention to the styles and riffs.

*Support each other (again the importance of these forums)...we all need some feedback or encouragement every so often. Post some recordings and get feedback.

*Invest in some quality gear. Whether it's strings, a guitar, or an amp, good gear DOES make a difference. Quality gear doesn't have to cost you as much as a mortgage..there is quality gear out there at reasonable prices. Nothing is worse than spending more time straightening the neck of your guitar or changing pickups when you could be spending your time playing.

Spudman
December 8th, 2007, 11:02 AM
We mentioned something about playing with yourself in the dark a while back. That was so that you couldn't see the fretboard. I think it got twisted a little bit if you know what I mean,;) but it's still a good idea. It makes you use your ears.

I did this for quite a while last night and it really works wonders for using your ears and feeling your position and knowing where to go for continuing phrases. You can't cheat so it makes you really listen and be aware of just how far you are moving your hand, and you have to think about where you want your fingers to go next rather than just looking and putting them there. It makes you sort of preview the sound before you get there.

Just a general overall consciousness lifter.