PDA

View Full Version : Moving around

Myles
March 6th, 2006, 05:41 PM
I had lived in the same small town until for most of my life, but when university time came around I moved to a slightly bigger town where I currently reside. I've been thinking of moving out of my smallish apartment and getting a house with some friends which may or may not be a good idea depending on how well we click.

Regardless, I'm curious how much the rest of you fretters have moved around in your life. (living not necessarily travelling although chatting about that would be okay too being this the open section and all)

r_a_smith3530
March 6th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Well, let's see. Although I was born in Oak Park (Illinois, USA), we were living in the city, a half block north of Wrigley Field (home of the Chicago Cubs) at the time. We would later move out of the city, to a small cul-de-sac in McHenry County. I went to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grades in a small farming community in Northern Illinois. It was there that my mom and dad decided to call it quits, and the beginning of our migration back towards Chicago. We arrived in Chicago in the Uptown neighborhood as I was attending 5th grade. By the time I was in 7th, we were on the move again, this time a little bit north, to Rogers Park. I went to high school there. I was all over the place during a stint in the Navy, but returned back to this area when I got out. With the exception of a year in Albuquerque, New Mexico, the Rogers Park and Edgewater neighborhoods would be my home for many years. Then, about four years ago, my current wife and I bought a house and moved back out to McHenry County.

By my third month as a high school freshman, I had attended eight different schools!

Justaguyin_nc
March 6th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Let's see... I grew up on the south west side of Chicago Il. (Around 31st and pulaski actually) , Once an adult and married got my first house across the bridge in the little suburb of Cicero.. After looking around at how Chicago and the suburb areas where changing and having four kids I moved South to Memphis Tn for a bit more laid back atmosphere for the kids which worked and which lasted about 16 years as they finished growing up and like myself moved around. Once the itch and divorce hit it was off to Charlotte NC area, which now I have again moved another 60 miles west of there to Shelby NC... My four children are grown and actually in different states themselves (must run in the family lol.. One actually lived thu-out Europe 5-6 years or so as her husband Played Basketball in different countries.) With me.. all the time being with the same company, it makes moving pretty simple.. I am hoping this is it... well for now.. haven't been out west yet.. :) One thing I have learned.. people are the same everywhere... just more of them or less..

Spudman
March 6th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Oh my!

Born in southern Alabama, moved to Germany, then to California, back to Germany, North Dakota, Minnesota, Georgia, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama again, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska. That was all before the end of High school.

Then: Toured the Western US and Canada constantly for 5 years. Now I'm settled in Idaho and along with the bank own a home.

Remember the song with the refrain "I've been everywhere man, I've been everywhere". Well that's me.

My father was military and the moving helped destroy prejudice just like Mark Twain says. Got a broad education and learned to think for myself. Met a lot of cool people "and I rocked em all," except for when I was playing country. Many of the gigs would be for weeks at a time so I really felt like along with return engagements that I lived in a lot of other places too.
While most of my band mates were consumers of substances that altered their reality and motivation I however stayed addicted to endorphins and would get up early, exercise and explore places that we played.
Same goes for when I was younger. I'd hop on my trusty bike or scooter and just take off. This was back before people were so afraid for their kids. I didn't care. I just wanted adventure and luckily I found plenty of it.
The big drawback was leaving people and loosing contact with them as well as not allowing bonds to develop because I knew I'd be leaving soon.
And, no I don't remember where I put the bodies.:)