PDA

View Full Version : My New Strat

Vinni Smith
November 8th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Check out my new guitar. It has been decades since I've played Strats. I have been doing PRS guitars for quite some time now. I decided I needed a single coil guitar again for recording and some live stuff. My buddy turned me on to this deal on Musicians Friend. Ash Body, Nitro Maple neck, Jeff Beck noiseless pickups and Delta Tone. I love this thing. I, of course had to modify it, like putting a new pearloid pickguard on and some chrome knobs.........

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c357/VinniSmith/strat2.jpg

LagrangeCalvert
November 9th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Very very NICE.....congrats on the new axe.....its a beauty and if it plays only half as good as it looks your one lucky dude! ;)

SuperSwede
November 9th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Whoa.. thats a SWEET axe Vinnie! Congrats! :)
The chrome knobs looks great on that strat.

Vinni Smith
November 9th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah, I love this thing. It really is much more red than it looks in the picture. It is a Sienna Burst.

The knobs did help quite a bit. They are so easy to grab and use. I have the same ones on my PRS guitars as well. They are just a good style for both looks and feel.

I may be putting a Buzz Feiten on it down the road. Jorge Santana showed me his with one on and it did sound and play good. However, this guitar does not suffer from intonation up and down the neck like the PRS guitars do. I can play just about any chord on it, even in the gain channel and it is very close to being perfectly tuned. So, I really don't know yet if I will be going with the Buzz Feiten nut. Time will tell. I think Fender is doing a great job nowadays. They sure have stepped up and changed their ways since the '78 Strat I owned. I hated that guitar. It was JUNK.

Here are the specs on this thing in case you are interested.........
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Limited-Edition-American-Series-Ash-Stratocaster?sku=511973

jpfeifer
November 9th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Congrats Vinni,

Looks like a keeper.

I agree about Fender. Of all the guitar companies out there (especially the larger ones) they seem to be doing consistently good guitars. They have improved a lot since the 70's. They seem to have re-discovered why people loved their older guitars and they're re-creating a lot of models that have the older feel to them.

-- Jim

sunvalleylaw
November 9th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Like I said in the other thread, just beautiful combo with the natural ash, maple board and the PG looks great on it. Nice!

Adrian30
November 9th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Congrats Vinni, that is a really nice piece. I love the grain and them noiseless pups...:AOK:

Vinni Smith
November 9th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I have to say, this is the only guitar that I own that sounds BETTER plugged in than unplugged. What I mean by that is this...........

I love the sound of an electric when you are just sitting on the couch playing without an amp. I wish they could duplicate that sound somehow but no one has. My PRSs sound absolutely stunning when unplugged and still sound incredible plugged in but I prefer the former. Now this Strat sounds wonderfull unplugged but when it is roaring thru the amp, that is when it really shines, indeed.

Does this make sense? Am I conveying the concept so that it is understandable? I have a hard time with words sometimes.

"Some people have a way with words and others, Oh, not have way, I guess"
Steve Martin

Spudman
November 9th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Back in the old days electricity was looked upon as magic. When you juice your axe up you are getting the magic happening. I can totally relate, and then along with that comes the testosterone. :Dude:

Just be sure not to grab the lighting trusses while you are holding on to your juiced up guitar's neck. :messedup:

PS. Nice to have you stop back in here.

Plank_Spanker
November 10th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Nice, Vinni! :D

I love that finish.

Vinni Smith
November 11th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Nice, Vinni! :D

I love that finish.

It really is a lot more red than the camera shows. It must be hard to portray that because musiciansfriend's picture looks more brown than mine does.

Thanks for the comment PlankSpanker. Heh Heh Heh, I love that name

Born2Run
November 21st, 2007, 10:54 AM
that's a fine looking guitar. i like how you can see the shine, or reflection of the overhead light in the bottom corner.