PDA

View Full Version : Friday Tunes - Zevon

sunvalleylaw
November 9th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I was reminded to listen to some Zevon by the "Guess the Song" thread last night.

Here is one from Letterman, way before he started filling in for Paul. I liked the Transverse City album a lot back when it was released and I thought my Puget Sound home was hitting a tipping point with urban sprawl and decay.

SxBHpYlDOfw

A law school favorite (where I first learned about Warren) Interesting acoustic solo version. His spoken voice sounds like Chevy Chase to me here.

S5puAN1PGQw

The lyric I posted last night.

WhRRWwH3Fro

just strum
November 9th, 2007, 11:53 AM
I'm at work and they block this stuff. Looking forward to watching these when I get home.

tunghaichuan
November 9th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I like Warren's music. Never got to see him live though. Thanks for posting those YouTube videos.

I've been meaning to read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Ill-Sleep-When-Im-Dead/dp/0060763450/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-1648895-0767255?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194630980&sr=1-1

By all accounts an unflinching and unflattering look at the real man: his addictions and phobias.

Here are a few YouTube videos I ran across:

One of my favorite Warren Zevon songs done by one of my favorite artists:

_uSkr4BGIi0

Zevon's son, Jordan performing "Lawyers, Guns, and Money" with The Wallflowers:

9KdHuZXWxGo

Enjoy.

tung

sunvalleylaw
November 9th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks tung. I will be interested in reading the unflinching article. I liked his work once I was introduced to it in law school, and its wry, sarcastic wit. But it clearly seemed he had his demons, and of course there was the addictions and recoveries. It seems a lot of artists do. I almost posted the one by his son and the Wallflowers too.

I just read some of the reviews about the book. I had an idea he was messed up for a lot of his life, this seems to confirm that and it looks like he was pretty hard on those around him at times. His music was pretty honest about some things though.

R_of_G
November 9th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Like Justa, I am firewalled out of seeing most video at work, but I look forward to checking it out when I get home later. I am a big fan of WZ. Thanks!

just strum
November 9th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Hey guys, great stuff. Enjoyed it all.