PDA

View Full Version : What has music taught you about life?

jpfeifer
November 9th, 2007, 05:32 PM
When I was younger all I wanted to do was learn enough guitar licks to imitate my favorite rock guitar heros. But that kind of evolved into an overal interest in a lot of different styles of music. I've been hooked on playing music since this time and always held onto it over the years, even though I would eventually make my living doing something else outside of music altogether.

I was thinking about this the other day when I sat in on my daughter's Karate class and heard her instructor talking to the class about the life-long persuit of mastery in the Martial Arts. Much of what he said could be applied to the same way I feel about playing music. In that way music has taught me alot of lessons about life, in the same way the people learn lessons about life from their persuit of mastering the skills of Taekwondo for example.

As I get older I realize more and more that there were these lessongs that I picked up from trying to master the guitar all these years.

Here's my list:
- Getting good at anything is more of a journey than a destination
- Always strive to learn new things. It keeps you motivated
- Don't compare yourself to other people. Just try to be the best that you can with what you have
- Be flexible and improvise when you have to, go with the flo (this could be applied to my work life as well as music)
- Do what you love, even if you aren't making a living at it. (music is one of the best therapists going. I realize that more and more now)
- Music is a door opener and it brings people together (I've met so many people in the corporate world that are closet musicians like me. The music bond seems to melt away all of the normal barriers when I meet folks like this. Suddenly I'm talking about my favorite guitar amp with some executive who is in a band, and we're just two guys talking about music without any concern about job titles, company politics, etc.)

What lessons has music taught you?

-- Jim

just strum
November 9th, 2007, 07:19 PM
It's not so much what it's taught me about life, it is more how it has made life more enjoyable.

I am more relaxed. Even when I am not playing the guitar, for the most part I am a much more relaxed person.

Since playing the guitar I tend to stop and enjoy what I have. For years I was always in pursuit of a bigger house, nicer car..., but never stopped to enjoy any of it.

Once I started to play guitar, life seemed to slow down, I noticed things and appreciate what I have. I don't take life so seriously and don't concern myself with many things that once bothered me.

It also opened up a greater variety of music. I never, I mean never, could listen to country. Now I will watch the CW station, listen to audio and video clips. In addition to that, I now hear the guitar in a song even if it is not the dominant instrument. Before playing, the guitar would just blend in and I would never notice it.

Life isn't perfect and I have my odd quarks, but life is more enjoyable.

marnold
November 9th, 2007, 07:27 PM
It taught me how to live; it taught me how to love. Sorry to quote a bad 80s power ballad commercial.

On a more serious note, I've always liked what Martin Luther had to say about music. For example:

"Music is a discipline, and a mistress of order and good manners, she makes the people milder and gentler, more moral and more reasonable."

"The riches of music are so excellent and so precious that words fail me whenever I attempt to discuss and describe them . . . Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world. It controls our thoughts, minds, hearts, and spirits."

And, with his typical bluntness:
"A person who gives this some thought and yet does not regard music as a marvelous creation of God, must be a clodhopper indeed and does not deserve to be called a human being; he should be permitted to hear nothing but the braying of asses and the grunting of hogs."

Amen, Brother Luther!

luvmyshiner
November 9th, 2007, 08:01 PM
I'm kind of with Strum on this one. I picked the guitar back up as a way to relate to my daughter. I quickly discovered what a wonderful stress reliever it is. My job brings me in contact with a lot of people who are going through a difficult time in their lives. Picking up the guitar at the end of the day helps me find myself again and release their (and my) anxieties.

Guitar Gal
November 10th, 2007, 12:15 PM
I also agree with what has already been said.

Music and more specifically, playing guitar, has taught me to use the creative side of my brain. It allows me to unwind from a stressful work day and feel good about something. Playing guitar shifts my focus from those daily pressures to just enjoying the moment and feeling the music. Nothing better......:Dude:

GG

Ro3b
November 20th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Insist on a decent guarantee and get any agreements in writing. Always ask to be paid what you think you're worth. Don't undersell yourself. Don't take any gig that requires you to wear Renaissance garb, a kilt, a clown suit, or a loincloth; such things create dangerous precidents. If you need the work that badly, charge extra. And avoid sleeping with your bandmates.

Tone2TheBone
November 20th, 2007, 03:01 PM
It gives me a sense of belonging. Personal fulfillment of knowing what music is and how to make it. I feel special in the big picture that I know how to play an instrument and that my kids are learning too.

Katastrophe
November 20th, 2007, 07:56 PM
+1 for music as a way to unwind and decompress from a stressful day.

Music, and playing guitar in particular, gives me a way to express myself when I can't find the words.

birv2
November 20th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Definitely agree with the stress relief angle. Nothing like letting the music flow through your fingers and out the amp....

My favorite kind of music, blues, has taught me so much about life and how to live it. I've learned that there is joy in sorrow, and sharing your suffering in song can really turn it all around. I guess there's a reason that blues and gospel are two sides of the same coin.

I'm also learning to try NOT to get too obsessed with expensive gear in the belief that it will make me sound like one of my guitar heroes. After a while, you start to play gear instead of playing music.

And I always think of Hound Dog Taylor, with his crappy Teisco Del Ray, using part of a chair leg for a slide, starting his set with "Let's have some fun!"

:beer: :beer:

Bob

YerDugliness
November 20th, 2007, 09:03 PM
More than anything else, I must say that music has taught me the power of perseverence.

I've said it before, probably will again--those things I play well, I do so not b/c I have even the least amount of musical talent in these fumble fingers, I play them well b/c I have persevered in the search for the sound, the rhythm, the flourishes, the finish, whatever--if not for that perseverence, I would still be playing Sparkling Stella.

So, when I say "Carry on", now you know what I really mean :Dude: !

Dugly :cool: