PDA

View Full Version : Hanging guitars on the wall

Pickngrin
November 9th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I am seeking some input about hanging my guitars on the wall. My concerns relate to temperature and (lack of) humidity. I'm in CT, so it can get quite cold here. I would use the wall mounts designed for this purpose and would mount to the wall studs. I've read that it's ok to do this on inside walls. In this case, the the other side of the wall is my garage. Would this be safe to do with my electrics? Acoustic?

Thanks....

teejayh
November 10th, 2007, 06:56 AM
I have had my acoustic guitars hanging on an outside wall for about 3 years now and have had no problems. I live in PA so the humidity & temp changes. I keep my electric guitars in their cases.

Pickngrin
November 10th, 2007, 07:15 AM
I have had my acoustic guitars hanging on an outside wall for about 3 years now and have had no problems. I live in PA so the humidity & temp changes. I keep my electric guitars in their cases.

Interesting...thanks for your reply. Is there a specific concern that keeps you from hanging your electrics, or do you not play them as often? I was thinking that electrics would be more resilient to the atmospheric changes, but that was just a guess.

Vinni Smith
November 10th, 2007, 09:43 AM
I guess we are pretty blessed here. I live in California and we just don't have to worry about things like this, humidity or whatever. We just worry about earthquakes shaking the guitars off the hangers! Heh Heh Heh........

We've all got our own set of problems, I guess.

vinni

wingsdad
November 10th, 2007, 10:32 AM
I live in the high desert of So. Cal. not far from the influence of the San Andreas fault and its offshoots. I use String Swing (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GtrHangerSS/) wall hangers to hang my solid-body electrics, an Ovation and a lam-body dobro. These are the least susceptible to temp or humidity variables casuing issues. We get shakes, and the guitars wiggle a bit, but the Swing Swings hold them just fine. While it's most secure to hit studs, they don't have to. They come with a nice fat screw-in wall anchor and hold my heaviest axes without a problem.

It's the LACK of humidity here, with typical RH indoors of about 30%, that's a potential threat to solid wood acoustics or hollow body electrics. These I keep in a 'humidor' closet/cabinet arrangement. Maintains a constant 68-72 degree temp and RH at about 45%, with a room humidifier running a couple of hours a nite every other nite. Hit this link here Home Studio (http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/TheFretNet%20Pix/?action=view&current=06d12e5b.pbw) or in my sig to see what I'm describing here.

I also plug soundholes with Kyser LifeGuard humidifiers and f-holes with Dampits, which get a weekly hydration fill. I don't keep anything in cases. These could tend to lock excess humidity in and overhumdify, and I'm a believer in letting wood breathe, not suffocate. It grew in the open air, not in a sealed enclosure. Overhumidification is worse than underhumidification. You can re-hydrate wood, slowly; once the wood has taken on excessive moisture & swelled, you've pretty much got irreparable damage. If you've ever spilled water on a bare wood, unpolished piece of furniture and neglected wiping it up, you know what I'm talking about.

So, to the point of hanging your guitars on walls: solid bodies & lams, should be OK; solid wood hollows that breathe, OK if your room RH is steady at 45-55% and the room temp is 68-72.

Whatever you do, keep any guitar away from heat or a/c ducts and returns. These will blow or suck the life out of anything close.

Plank_Spanker
November 10th, 2007, 10:10 PM
I keep most of my guitars on wall hangers. I used 1x6's screwed to the studs, with String Swings screwed to the 1x6's on interior walls. String Swings are nitro safe.

I keep the room air conditioned during my jungle humid summers, and humidified to 45 to 50 percent RH during the bone dry winter - notice the temp and humidity monitor on the bottom rack.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/axepilot/100_0687.jpg

just strum
November 11th, 2007, 08:59 AM
I keep most of my guitars on wall hangers. I used 1x6's screwed to the studs, with String Swings screwed to the 1x6's on interior walls. String Swings are nitro safe.

I keep the room air conditioned during my jungle humid summers, and humidified to 45 to 50 percent RH during the bone dry winter - notice the temp and humidity monitor on the bottom rack.

Plank,

what are you using to humidify the room? Is it a whole house unit or a room unit. What's the unit sitting in front of the guitars?

Plank_Spanker
November 11th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Plank,

what are you using to humidify the room? Is it a whole house unit or a room unit. What's the unit sitting in front of the guitars?

I use a Kenmore roll around room unit for the winter heating season. A full load of water lasts 24 hours and it's very quiet. My summers here are jungle humid, so the room is constantly air conditioned for humidity reasons as much as temp.

That unit in the pic is just a fan.

just strum
November 11th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Plank,

That's a nice set-up. I am still trying to evict my daughter from the spare room. I finally talked my son into moving out and before I could move one guitar, my daughter took over. I've been talking about converting the room for almost a year, even told the family that all I want for Christmas is the room and a can of paint (throwing in a guitar or amp would be nice).

We've gone down the "music room" thread before, but it's always good to get tips. Wingsdad has a good set-up, but it seems us kids always run out of space in our toy rooms. I suggested to my wife we move our bed into the spare room and let me set-up the master bedroom as music room (18 x 20, cathedral ceiling, and bathroom), as you probably guessed, that idea got vetoed real quick.:( It is the perfect area for the gang

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Picture061.jpghttp://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Picture149.jpg

Pickngrin
November 12th, 2007, 08:02 PM
I have baseboard hot water heat, and there's no radiator on the wall where I want to hang the guitars. It seems that people have varying opinions about whether or not it's a good idea to hang them. I used to keep them in the cases, but it really wound up being a deterrent to my playing. I went to Guitar Center to pick up some of the String Swings the other day. They were out of stock, and the sales guy recommended against long term hanging. Hmmm... can't decide, but at least I know that I'm not going to hang my Taylor acoustic.

ted s
November 12th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Recommended against them.. what about every guitar store you go into they are hanging just like that ? At least the ones I've seen in my area.

Pickngrin
November 12th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Recommended against them.. what about every guitar store you go into they are hanging just like that ? At least the ones I've seen in my area.

Yeah, I didn't quite understand the blatant contradiction...

Plank_Spanker
November 12th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Hanging a guitar will by itself not harm it - if the hook is secure and safe for the finish. I think the argument stems from the guitar possibly being exposed to wide variances in temp and humidity.

If you can control the environment, you shouldn't have any problems - long term or not.

Pickngrin
November 13th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Hanging a guitar will by itself not harm it - if the hook is secure and safe for the finish. I think the argument stems from the guitar possibly being exposed to wide variances in temp and humidity.

If you can control the environment, you shouldn't have any problems - long term or not.

I will have to buy a room humidifier. As far as temperature variance, the house in not centrally air conditioned. Any ideas on what might be a good strategy for keeping that in check?

millenium_03
November 21st, 2007, 02:11 PM
I've build myself a guitar wall hanger. I put 6 of my guitars on it and it stand right. Don't worry about that if you screw it right on the wall... About humidity, it really depends of your place. The only mistake I've made is put it right under an air trap... I don't use it anymore to make sure that won't blow wind...

I've use Hercules hanger with locking system and adjustable yoke.
So I can put them in angle or front face
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k74/millenium_03/gsp40wb.jpg

Plank_Spanker
November 21st, 2007, 04:50 PM
I will have to buy a room humidifier. As far as temperature variance, the house in not centrally air conditioned. Any ideas on what might be a good strategy for keeping that in check?

My house doesn't have central air, either. I use a small window mount AC in my music room.

just strum
December 31st, 2008, 02:12 PM
I am at the over cluttered point on the floor of the back room and have to get these guitars off the floor. I plan on using an outside wall and see no reason to be concerned based on the insulation that is in the walls. About a week ago it was 10 degrees and the temp of the exterior wall and the interior wall felt the same.

Anyone have any concerns about the exterior wall? Being in Ohio the weather goes through several changes (it was 65 degree f a few days ago, this morning I woke up to a white out).

Rocket
December 31st, 2008, 02:27 PM
Anyone have any concerns about the exterior wall?
Huh... exterior wall? Hope you have a serious overhang. 'Tis the season tho!

http://www.chrisduartegroupfans.org/Git5.gif

ted s
December 31st, 2008, 02:28 PM
I don't know Strummy, sounds kinda dangerous, maybe you should send me one of your nice acoustics and I can hang it on an interior wall.

Andy
December 31st, 2008, 03:13 PM
I'll toss in my 2 cents for what it's worth

I'm a non hanging guy , they hang them in stores for convience, It would be a nightmare shopping for guitars that are all in cases.

I don't think hanging hurts the guitar aside for a few things,
A wall hanging guitar gets dusty, is exposed to uv and more susceptable to accidental damage and In some cases can invite thievery. plus if you play out much you have to take the guitar down and put it in a case anyway.

like an expensive car , some people like to show them off in the driveway , I prefer to keep mine in the garage.

but thats just me, mabey I'm over protective

just strum
December 31st, 2008, 03:28 PM
I'll toss in my 2 cents for what it's worth

I don't think hanging hurts the guitar aside for a few things,
A wall hanging guitar gets dusty, is exposed to uv and more susceptable to accidental damage and In some cases can invite thievery. plus if you play out much you have to take the guitar down and put it in a case anyway.

To me taking them in and out of the case everyday is an inconvenience. Having them on wall hangers versus floor stands I think is much safer. I've heard of more incidents where someone has knocked over a floor stand, than I have someone damaging one on a wall hanger. Either way will collect dust. A guitar sitting out, whether it's on a stand or hanging from a wall is more apt to be played.

I don't concern myself with UV rays because I close the shade if it's consistently sunny and living near Lake Erie, that is a rarity.

My concern, or more so my question, how can a exterior wall be any different for the guitar versus an interior wall? I just haven't heard a real solid argument for using the interior wall.

Kazz
December 31st, 2008, 03:35 PM
Mark,

In newer homes there really should not be any difference...now if you live in something built in the 40s or earlier there can be differences.

ted s
December 31st, 2008, 03:42 PM
I suppose an argument could be that an outside wall being colder could introduce currents along it's surface.. causing.. I don't know, something really really bad for a guitar ? I don't buy it but I'm not a rocket scientist or fluid dynamics engineer. I say hang'em high unless maybe there is a floor register beneath them.

oldguy
December 31st, 2008, 04:38 PM
They do collect dust, no doubt about it. Mine hang in a cubbyhole where sunlight never reaches them, but they need dusting regularly. The only other thing I might mention is the ones hanging seem to need strings more often versus the ones kept in the case. Other than that I see no problem with keeping them on hangers.

just strum
December 31st, 2008, 04:49 PM
The only other thing I might mention is the ones hanging seem to need strings more often versus the ones kept in the case.

What is the reason for needing a change - rust?

sunvalleylaw
December 31st, 2008, 05:43 PM
When we remodel and have a rec/music/media room, I plan to have at least a couple/three hangers up to rotate guitars through. Also, I plan to have my cables, pedals and amp all hooked up. Right now I have to pull everything out of cases and hook it all up, and that is a hinderance to practice/play time. I will likely stick a humidifier in the room, and make sure I rotate, as there will be natural light in the room.

oldguy
December 31st, 2008, 06:29 PM
What is the reason for needing a change - rust?

Spiders.

just strum
December 31st, 2008, 06:44 PM
Spiders.

Warren might want to reconsider his wall hangers.

sumitomo
December 31st, 2008, 07:03 PM
Hang em' Strum.It's the best thing I have ever done.You will play more.Sumi:D

luvmyshiner
December 31st, 2008, 09:36 PM
Gotta tell ya' Strum, the best thing I ever did was hang the guitars. I agree with Oldguy, it does seem that the strings need to be changed more often. But I also play ALL of them more because they're accessible.

Andy
December 31st, 2008, 09:58 PM
lol...mine are lined up in my jam room , I pop open the case and play it, good grief you guys make it sound like it's an impenetrable vault:rotflmao:

hanging them is fine too,mine are all against the wall , just in their cases thats the only difference.:)

just strum
December 31st, 2008, 10:03 PM
lol...mine are lined up in my jam room , I pop open the case and play it, good grief you guys make it sound like it's an impenetrable vault:rotflmao:

hanging them is fine too,mine are all against the wall , just in their cases thats the only difference.:)

Oh sure, trip over a cable and land up against the wall, then what do you have?

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/martintop2.jpg

Andy
December 31st, 2008, 10:15 PM
holy..... now thats probably not fixable.

Algonquin
January 1st, 2009, 01:05 PM
I just bought two Swing Strings guitar hangers that wingsdad and Plank Spanker mentioned earlier in this thread. I think they are likely about the best hangers on the market and are not that expensive. I have single stands as well, but it's not that difficult to tip one over, and a headstock break isn't something I want to see happen. I'm also considering something like the 5 Guitar Stands that are on the marker. The seem a little more stable to me.

My concern, or more so my question, how can a exterior wall be any different for the guitar versus an interior wall? I just haven't heard a real solid argument for using the interior wall.
If your outside walls are insulated, you aren't going to have a problem here... and living in Cleveland, I'm pretty sure that they are. I believe the exterior wall thing was intended for upright pianos, and this included having them too close to heat sources such are registers as well.

I think what may be more important over an interior / exterior wall, is making sure your hangers are not placed near the regular flow of traffic. If your amps are on the floor on a particular wall, that may be your best spot for placement.

warren0728
January 1st, 2009, 01:21 PM
Warren might want to reconsider his wall hangers.

i hate spiders....but i do love my swing strings!

Plank_Spanker
January 1st, 2009, 05:33 PM
As far as UV exposure goes, my guitars don't get any direct sunlight. As far as accidental damage goes, they are definitely out of harm's way on the wall - it sure beats a stand.

Inviting thieves? You really can't see into my guitar lounge from the street. You want to break in? You have to get past my alarm system first, which is set up to protect my guitar lounge. If you are a truly determined and skilled thief, you might make it, but you won't if you're a casual moron.

I see no down sides to hanging guitars. They look great, they're safe, and they're readily accessible.

peachhead
January 1st, 2009, 10:51 PM
holy..... now thats probably not fixable.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: