PDA

View Full Version : Rock & Roll Fantasy Camp on TLC

Nelskie
March 7th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Just wondering if anyone had caught either of the (2) airings of the the R n' R Fantasy Camp episode on TLC (The Learning Channel)? I'd read a little hub-bub about it online, and decided that it was something that I probably should check out, if not for anything else but to see what kinds of guitars everyone was playing.

For starters, you should know that these folks paid $8,500 / ea. to be part of this five-day operation. And of course, prior to being considered for participation, you have to audition in front of a panel of TV-types to see if you "fit the bill" for the program. Once chosen, you are placed into a "band" with fellow "campers", along with a band "coach" (of dubious R n' R fame), and begin (5) days of rehearsal. At the end of that time, there's the coup de' gras "Battle of the Bands" vs. the other campers' bands, and the winners get the obligatory plaques suitable for framing, and a selection of valuable parting gifts . . . (?)

Anyways, the highlight for the bands during this particular camp session was to rehearse an original Who song, after of which lead-man Roger Daltrey would accompany you and your fellow bandmates on stage to perform it live, on-stage, at the BOTB, held at the Sunset Strip's House of Blues. Yeah, Daltrey is singing with YOUR band! Cool? Absolutely! Which speaking of, Ol' Rog is showing a bit of his age these days, but still looks great. His pipes are surprisingly in pretty good shape, too. For being a colossal rock icon, he was very glib, friendly, and had a lot of good things to say about the average Joe's and Jane's taking part in the camp. Whether or not that was just his TV "guise" is anyone's guess.

Well, as with any reality show, there were your "typical" squabbles with band members; band camp leaders (Elliot Easton, Jack Blades, Simon Kirke) throwing up their arms in disgust; the obligatory ooh's and aaah's when Roger rehearsed with the bands, and yadda, yadda, yadda. Still, for a reality-based program (and quite frankly I hate reality TV) it did hold my interest. Esp. the fact that folks like you and me (and yes, a ringer or two) were up there jamming out, and having a blast. For me, it really did capture the enthusiasm and fun of playing music live.

I've posted a web site for the camp, as well as a link to a couple reviews of the program. I'm not sure if they'll be airing this episode again, but would keep an eye out for it. It appears that they're taking app's for the upcoming camp, to be held in NYC during August 2006. So, start saving those bones and practicing like mad, Fretters. Maybe we'll be watching YOU on TV this coming fall!

http://www.rockandrollfantasycamp.com/
http://dailynews.com/ci_3536584
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060224/ENT01/602240301/1033

Tim
March 7th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Ok this is really getting me upset. I am always a day late and a dollar short. I never seem to catch this “good” stuff on TV. I miss the special shows on cable TV. I missed Prince on late night TV and who knows what else over the past several months. Does anybody know how to stay ahead of these broadcasts? Is there a website that announces when famous guitarist or bands will be on TV? Or even when these shows will be re-broadcast?

I am sure if we Fretters put our heads together we can solve this mystery. Once we get a handle on knowing ahead of time when a show will be broadcast, we could send out a Fret Alert so all Fretters can watch or at least record the show for later viewing.

Any ideas guys?

Spudman
March 7th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Tim
If you want to see the Prince performance from Saturday Night Live then go to youtube.com and search for "Prince". The whole thing is there.

SuperSwede
March 7th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the youtube.com link Spud! Lots of videos there!

SuperSwede
March 7th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Ooohhh. check out the "Purple Rain - Beyoncé and Prince(Grammy 2004)".. man that prince can play (both the sign guitar and then the tele!)