PDA

View Full Version : Stuff I learned from Robben Ford

Vinni Smith
November 10th, 2007, 05:52 AM
I had the opportunity to attend a Robben Ford clinic this summer. It was incredible and I learned so very much! It was worth every penny and I will be practicing what I learned for the next few years, that's for sure. Robben is one BAD BOY! He can even better than you think he can. He is quite a gentleman, gives a great clinic and is very funny as well. I reccomend his clinic to everyone that plays electric guitar.

The coolest thing he showed us, and it was what I went there to get was the whole/half tone diminished scale. He uses it all the time to go out of the pocket. I find it very usefull and musical to use over the IV chord. It sounds a bit out on the V chord but, if used in moderation, can really attract some attention from your listener.

Now this is a hard scale to get used to and to master BUT once you get hold of it, it repeats itself every 3 frets just like a regular diminished does. So, it is the same scale just starting and ending on different parts of the scale/chord. Also, if you move the scale/position down one fret from the tonic it becomes your IV chord scale and up one fret from the tonic becomes your V chord scale. It really is easier than what I am trying to explain here.

What I think I accomplish with this scale/trick is to make my playing more sophisticated than it really is. I know a bit of theory but not a lot. I took some theory classes in college in the early 70's and that was about it. I don't even know all the dorian, mixolydian type stuff. I heard Larry Carlton say he does not know those scales either! That made me feel good. But this scale gives my playing a sense of class and mystic that really is not there. Heh Heh Heh

Here are some clips I recorded at the Robben Ford clinic. I have posted them on other forums in the past so you may have heard them already. Ed DeGenaro was kind enough to host them for me. The first clip is pretty long and he just talks and gives his once over on music in general. Enjoy.........

www.eddegenaro.com/burners/robbenclinic2007part1
www.eddegenaro.com/burners/robbenclinic1
www.eddegenaro.com/burners/robbenclinic2
www.eddegenaro.com/burners/robbenclinic3
www.eddegenaro.com/burners/robbenclinic4
www.eddegenaro.com/burners/robbenclinic5
www.eddegenaro.com/burners/robbenclinic6
www.eddegenaro.com/burners/robbenclinic7

Cheers to you all,

Do good things.

vinni

jpfeifer
November 10th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Thanks for posting these. I'm a huge fan of Robben Ford's playing.

I also like Larry Carlton alot too. You're right about Larrry Carlton saying that he doesn't use modes that much. I used to have great video of Larry Carlton years ago talking about his approach to soloing. He uses a lot of ideas based on a triad approach to soloing. At the time I didn't really understand his approach but it makes sense to me now. But like a lot of these techniques, it takes a while before you can work them into your playing so that you're using them a lot.

Thanks again for posting. I'll check them out. I'd love to learn some things.

-- Jim

Spudman
November 10th, 2007, 09:52 AM
That's great Vin. Some awesome information that he's giving out. I already learned some things. I'm really a blank sponge. Now the trick is to put this into practice.

Vinni Smith
November 10th, 2007, 02:09 PM
That's great Vin. Some awesome information that he's giving out. I already learned some things. I'm really a blank sponge. Now the trick is to put this into practice.

It takes ma a long time to put things into practice. Each little trick has it's place but you can't use them everywhere. It does help if you're in a band and can try everything you know at a gig. But I no longer play regularly, so I have to try them when I can.