PDA

View Full Version : What Music is Popular in Your Part of the World?

just strum
November 10th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Does your taste in music coincide with the music that seems to be the most popular in your area. Identify your part of the world and then just free form some background.

I'm in Cleveland Ohio

My main musical interest: I listen to classic and alternative rock whether it's CD or radio. Most of my friends are classic rock fans and don't care or listen to alternative rock. Oh, I obviously like the blues (although not a very knowledgeable area for me) and I love Motown, but unfortunately it no longer gets any steady airplay like classic rock. Edit: There is only one rap artist that I like and that is Jay Z. I feel he brings a true artistic element to his work.

The area stations play: 2 alternative rock stations, 3 classic rock stations, probably 2 or 3 "pop" and "rap" stations (they tend to mix). We have one main country station. Edit: These are FM stations I am referring to, I don't venture over to AM, but I'm sure it's filled with "pop" and sports.

And finally - far too many talk shows from shock to sports.

I guess based on the radio and the live scene, I would say Cleveland and the surrounding area leans heavily toward classic and alternative. You hear very little to almost nothing of heavy metal with the exception of old Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin and Metallica. No shredders in this town.

This is another post to get an idea of who is posting and where their musical roots come from.

Spudman
November 10th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Our stations are still stuck back in time about 20 years. There is nothing that I'll listen to locally except NPR certain times of day. Radio is out for me. I've been finding music sources on the web instead. My favorite Internet station is Delicious Agony http://www.deliciousagony.com/ . They will consistently play Return To Forever or Vandergraff Generator cuts from the very early days up to the latest releases, and that is something that no local station will ever do.

If I ever want to go even further back in time I just take a trip to Montana unfortuantely the music is not very good.

sunvalleylaw
November 10th, 2007, 11:41 AM
For a good solid review of a lot of member's musical taste and history, check this thread:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2625

I posted a very long winded reply there. :pancake A lot of fretters gave nice details. More directly to your question, I live in Sun Valley, Idaho, and this place is a mountain vacation town in the middle of a very conservative, rural state. My musical tastes are much more connected to Seattle, as I was raised and lived until my mid 30s in the Tacoma/Seattle area. I listened mostly to the alternative station, "The End" (Grunge and Punk at the time). and also listened a lot to my wife's favorite station, "The Mountain" which was more adult contemporary, think Lyle Lovett, Bonnie Raitt, 10000 Maniacs and the like.

Here, there are basically two radio stations, a classic rock one that drifts over into adult contemporary and a little modern rock, and the kinda alternative rock one that I don't listen to a lot. It has a lot of the more pop/punk, emo and screamo groups and I just don't listen to it a lot. (EDIT: there is also a truly oldies station with swing or ballroom music or some such, and a feed of Minnesota Public Radio that carries some good classical). The club scene gets some decent acts, (The English Beat, celtic rock groups, funk, whatever), and there is a Dixieland style jazz fest, a free outdoor classical concert series, and a mix of classic rock and adult contemp. groups give concerts here. Recently (Last couple years), Steve Miller, Bonnie Raiit, Keb Mo, Johnny Lang, James Taylor, Dr. John, Dwight Yoakum, a lot of others I forget. I got to see some, but not all of the above.

During the day, I typically tune into KPLU, a public college jazz station from the Tacoma area, online, listen to the local classic rock station in the car, and use my iPod a lot, listening to the stuff I listed in the other thread, and new stuff I am turned on to here. I have been listening to music differently since getting more into guitar, and am playing a lot of good strat players like John Mayer, SRV, jazz players and then a mix on my iPod I call "The End" that I filled with stuff that used to be played on that alternative station I listened to in Seattle. Hope that anwers it! :)

pie_man_25
November 10th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I'm mostly into blues, jazz, classical,alcssic rock, british hard rock, that whole sixties to eighties era of metal, and some modern metal like slayer or lamb of god.

mostly in my area though, the stations play pop/punk, pop in general, and rap/hiphop like you wouldn't believe, there is only one classical station, one for classic rock, and one for hard rock, the rest is invaded by pop/punk/alternative, screamo and rap.

t_ross33
November 11th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Radio here takes it's cues from SOB (South of the Border - which in our case has a different meaning than our US friends :D ). For the most part it is pretty bland. One station has a weekly program called "the Joe Blow Radio Show" where everyday people go on the show and get to play program director, talk about the music they've chosen to play, why they like it etc. It's pretty cool and you can hear some very eclectic stuff.

I listen to internet radio a lot, love the "Eclectic" and "Americana" genres for something different. Not much to choose from on the FM dial, so classic rock and "new country" stations are the primary ones listened to in my truck.

Saskatchewan has a great indie music scene which I like much better than the manufactured Top 40 stuff. I like looking for diverse and different types, styles, artists - whatever. Singer/Songwriter stuff get me every time. Probably because I listened to a lot of Neil Young as a kid :AOK:

just strum
November 11th, 2007, 11:10 AM
I just ran down to the local store and during the drive the one station played:

Hey Hey My My

Changes

American Band

Fat Bottom Girls

Same Old Song and Dance

A Fleetwood Mac song that I don't recall the title of.

The rest of the music became background music, but the ones above got me singing in the car and banging on the steering wheel!!!:D

Obviously the classic rock station. The better alternative station plays stuff like The Four Seasons on Sunday - strange set up, but apparently it works for them.