PDA

View Full Version : John Zorn's Naked City

R_of_G
November 10th, 2007, 11:17 AM
This band is certainly not going to appeal to everyone, but for those who have an affinity for the experimental, I thought I'd share. Zorn is among my favorite composers/band-leaders/musicians. Among his numerous projects, Naked City lasted from 88 to 93, and is as experimental as it gets. The band played dozens of genres of music, not just from song to song, but often incorporating several genres within singular songs.

--------------------
From wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_City_%28band%29

In Naked City's characteristic early style, songs were often performed at astonishingly fast tempos, drawing heavily on thrash metal and hardcore punk's emphasis on extreme speed. Many songs were quite brief, and typically switched musical genres every few measures, perhaps comparable to spinning a radio dial at random and hearing the same band performing on every station. One critic described Naked City's music as "jump-cutting micro-collages of hardcore, Country, sleazy jazz, covers of John Barry and Ornette Coleman, brief abstract tussles — a whole city crammed into two or three minute bursts." [2] This fast-change tendency was inspired in part by Carl Stalling — a Zorn favorite — who wrote music for many Warner Brothers cartoons (featuring Road Runner, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and others); music that featured frequent shifts in tempo, theme and style.
---------------------

So here is some video of the band from youtube:

This is their live take on the James Bond Theme:

fUBEYtGrHIY

Here are a handful of their "miniatures" in the speedmetal/grindjazz whatever you want to call it genre. these are very short songs featuring some superfast playing:

dMGr1l9vRfA

Here they are playing some Ennio Morricone [another huge influence on Zorn]:

fvYARGSKNYQ

This one is not a performance video, but it is a cool video and this song is a great example of some of their many styles:

gc-7BHjwW1o

There is plenty more on youtube.

BTW, is anyone else out there into this or any of Zorn's other projects? I know he's not for everyone, but he's one of my heroes.:Dude: