PDA

View Full Version : Saturday on YouTube....

duhvoodooman
November 10th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I came across these two clips while poking around on YouTube today and enjoyed them both greatly. Maybe you will, too. I'd seen both before, but SO WHAT? ;)

Steve Morse pays homage to the greats before getting to Ritchie Blackmore's best-known riff... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MSyFA84u48)

One of the most amazing live TV performances I've ever seen... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02z3gIg9lcQ)

ted s
November 10th, 2007, 03:57 PM
That was great Vood, thanks, I liked the spinning wheel effect.

sunvalleylaw
November 10th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Sweeeet Vood! Pretty cool footage of Steve Morse just dialing up the licks one after another. I had seen the Neil one before, but really like it. Nice gold top LP with P90's the other guy is playing. Looks a little like yours huh? ;-)

oldguy
November 10th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Thanks, Vood, enjoyed both of them (then went right to Neil's version of "All Along The Watchtower", another good one).
I've always found it interesting that Neil Young, a transplanted Canadian, loves this country so much that he tries to give us insight into our shortcomings and then ends up being attacked for his opinions because he's not a U.S. citizen. From "Ohio", "Campaigner", "Rockin' in the free world", to "Let's Roll", and "Let's Impeach the President", all I see is a man with a conscience asking "Do you realize how lucky you are?, please don't waste it."
Not to mention all the contributions to Farm Aid.......
OK, enough, no politics, I know, I know.......]
Thanks again, Voodoo, liked the videos alot.:AOK:

sunvalleylaw
November 10th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Right on Glenn! As if one has to be a citizen of a country to have an opinion about its workings or conduct. Ok, I'll hastily retreat off the soapbox too. I am glad he is insightful enough to see it and honest enough to say it.

just strum
November 10th, 2007, 07:50 PM
... all I see is a man with a conscience asking "Do you realize how lucky you are?, please don't waste it."

Exactly - he's not saying hey "America you suck" his music or lyrics are saying don't let this slip away, don't become a waste land. Unfortunately that is somehow anti-American - ok, I had my turn too.

Now for the comment about the videos - I'm not a big fan of the first, but I love hearing any and all versions of "keep on rockin' in the free world". No matter what version it is, he always kicks a$$ and looks like he's having a blast.

One last political statement - VOTE!!!

snarph
November 11th, 2007, 09:42 AM
well Neil was always a posser..............:):):)

Jimi75
November 11th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Neil Young - good
Steve Morse - no good

There was one guy posting a comment like Steve would be banned out of any UK guitar shop if he played that stuff. Same for Germany!

tunghaichuan
November 11th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Steve Morse - no good

There was one guy posting a comment like Steve would be banned out of any UK guitar shop if he played that stuff. Same for Germany!

I'm a big Steve Morse fan. I attended a clinic/concert he gave in the late 80s and he was phenominal.

Having said that, I picked up a DVD called "Steve Morse Band Live in Baden-Baden Germany March 1990." The performance on that DVD is atrocious. He kept hitting bad notes, and it was noticeable. I don't know why Steve Morse allowed it to be released.

tung

YerDugliness
November 11th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Neil Young always ROCKS!! He's been blamed for breaking up CSN&Y, but look at where he's gone--he was done with the style of CSN&Y, so perhaps it was the better choice.

Saw him in concert in Houston. He puts on a great show, although I was a bit put off by some of the American Native touches. Still, what I recall most about the show was his incredible efforts to perform, and I do mean PERFORM, for the crowd! He slips from style to style effortlessly, and the range of styles he covers is phenomenal. Perhaps my favorite is when he does "Transformer Man" on a foot pedal organ--it's awesome.

Don't miss the chance to see him, just do it!!

Dugly :cool:

duhvoodooman
November 12th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Neil Young - good
Steve Morse - no good

It seems to me that you rather missed the point of the beginning of the Morse clip, which I found quite humorous. Here's a great guitarist in his own right, filling in for another legendary guitarist, and having to play one of the all-time classic guitar riffs. Not exactly a big artistic challenge. So he has some fun with it--spinning the dial on the radio and bringing in one classic riff after another until he finally hits Smoke On the Water. Rather clever, I thought.

While I really haven't followed Steve much since he joined Deep Purple, his earlier work as a solo artist and with the Dixie Dregs (my favorite stuff) contained some of the best guitar work I've ever heard. The first side of the Dregs of the Earth album remains some of the best jazz-rock fusion music of alll time, IMO. I saw them locally in a small club here in Albany in '82 and the show was just incredible, particularly Steve's guitar work.