PDA

View Full Version : Today's Music

just strum
November 10th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Couldn't really think of a title for this.

I just dropped my daughter off at a friends house and when she jumped in the car she turned the dial to a station I wasn't familiar with. As I was listening to the song, noticing I never heard it before I asked "So what sort of stuff does this station play?" She responded "Older hits". Again not recognizing the song and certainly not in any of the time frames I'm familiar with I asked "So how long ago were these hits that they play" to which she responded "Pretty old, maybe as old as 6 months". So longevity is not a strength of much of today's music.

And speaking of getting old, where was I when it was a hit?

pie_man_25
November 10th, 2007, 06:37 PM
quite frankly strum, I don't know, all my friends don't know either, we just listen to whatever it is we are into, I'm into blues,hard rock and heavy metal, they're mostly into neo-classical shred metal, so we don't know what happened to the popular stuff today.

just strum
November 10th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Do you think there really is "popular stuff" today? When I was young the Beatles swept the nation and eventually the world - does anything like that come close to existing today?

Since you are in that younger category and probably more in tune with what's new and exciting in music - in general, who or what would you say leads the pack? I don't necessarily say you or your friends have to like it, but what sells and gets listened to the most?

pie_man_25
November 10th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Do you think there really is "popular stuff" today? When I was young the Beatles swept the nation and eventually the world - does anything like that come close to existing today?

Since you are in that younger category and probably more in tune with what's new and exciting in music - in general, who or what would you say leads the pack? I don't necessarily say you or your friends have to like it, but what sells and gets listened to the most?

you do make a good point, but I guess the now popular stuff is rap, pop/punk, screamo, and hardcore(at least where I am) none of that stuff am I into, but almost EVERYBODY else is into all of it.

pes_laul
November 12th, 2007, 10:52 AM
where I live people basicaly like what people on mtv say is popular which is rap/hiphop emo: fallout boy my chemical romance:puke: nowadays people mostly like music groups for their apearance

just strum
November 12th, 2007, 11:51 AM
nowadays people mostly like music groups for their apearance

Well that rules me out.

Big_Rob
November 12th, 2007, 01:16 PM
I haven't listened to new music in about 4-5 years, I just cant get into new rock these days because its all be just too top 40ish bubblegummy for me.

Thank GOD for satellite radio!

sunvalleylaw
November 12th, 2007, 01:38 PM
where I live people basicaly like what people on mtv say is popular which is rap/hiphop emo: fallout boy my chemical romance:puke: nowadays people mostly like music groups for their apearance

No wonder I feel so out of touch with today's radio rock stuff. Our Idaho stations are a bit out of touch anyway, but when I go back to Tacoma/Seattle and listen to the stations there, I find they are playing mostly the stuff they did when I left there in '98. Except for my old alternative station, which has changed ownership, lost its independence, and plays some of the older 90s stuff and some of the screamo stuff. There is one public/internet station that plays new indie stuff over there. I'll post a link when I find it again.

aeolian
November 12th, 2007, 02:59 PM
A few decades ago they used to talk about your 15 minutes of fame, now it is about as long as the song lasts, 2-3 minutes. It seems to me that the occasions when I hear a song I like on popular radio within a week or two I won't hear it again.

I don't really listen to top 40 radio stations so I'm not that familiar with music on the charts, I do listen to Internet radio stations and alternative radio stations and they do play things that are current and I do find things I like. Examples of recent artists that I like are Franz Ferdinand, Gorillaz, and more obscure people like Yonderboi, Zero 7, etc.

Actually I think there are a lot more different music out there nowadays, the problem is finding them to see if I like them.

sunvalleylaw
November 12th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Examples of recent artists that I like are Franz Ferdinand, Gorillaz, . . . . .

Actually I think there are a lot more different music out there nowadays, the problem is finding them to see if I like them.

I also think that is the case. I have heard and liked a few things from the above, and I'll add The Killers and Modest Mouse to that list, but I don't hear them on the radio, or hear anything about them really.

R_of_G
November 12th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Examples of recent artists that I like are Franz Ferdinand, Gorillaz, and more obscure people like Yonderboi, Zero 7, etc. Actually I think there are a lot more different music out there nowadays, the problem is finding them to see if I like them.

This is pretty much how I feel about the state of popular music as well. There are definitely artists working now making mainstream accessible music that I enjoy, but you have to seek them out on your own or be turned on to them by a friend because they don't get radio airplay or much media attention. You mentioned Franz Ferdinand who are an excellent example of a current band making enjoyable music with interesting guitar parts. That's the thing, there will likely always be some artists making good quality popular music, but the mainstream media is no longer interested in promoting these artists, just the ones the record companies tell them to be interested in. Thank goodness for the internet. I read hundreds of reviews a week, and take a lot of chances on artists that I haven't heard much from. Sometimes it pays off. I've already mentioned some of these bands in previous "Have You Heard" posts, but some are worth mentioning again, like The Thermals, The Ergs, The Steinways, Built to Spill...

aeolian
November 12th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I also think that is the case. I have heard and liked a few things from the above, and I'll add The Killers and Modest Mouse to that list, but I don't hear them on the radio, or hear anything about them really.

Hey Steve, I have heard of The Killers and liking the songs that got played. I honestly can't remember what the songs were though. If I get interested enough I'm sure I'll find what I need from the internet.

You may be interested to know that Modest Mouse works out of Portland. And Johnny Marr (of the Smiths) plays guitar with the group; he apparently lives here in Portland now (I guess the weather is not much different than England).

R_of_G
November 12th, 2007, 03:48 PM
You may be interested to know that Modest Mouse works out of Portland. And Johnny Marr (of the Smiths) plays guitar with the group; he apparently lives here in Portland now (I guess the weather is not much different than England).

Aeolian, you live in Portland, have you heard of/heard The Thermals?

aeolian
November 12th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Aeolian, you live in Portland, have you heard of/heard The Thermals?

Yes, I do. Have not heard of the Thermals though, care to tell me about them?

Some acts from Portland that recently have been making a name for themselves are the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs and Pink Martini (with a piano player and a woman doing vocals).

sunvalleylaw
November 12th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Hey Steve, I have heard of The Killers and liking the songs that got played. I honestly can't remember what the songs were though. If I get interested enough I'm sure I'll find what I need from the internet.

Good to know! I had not remembered that fact. One of my brothers turned me on to them. Portland has a good scene. Another, not really new NW band I like a lot is MxPx out of Bremerton. Punk, but with fun guitar stuff. They were pretty successful in the 90s and are still putting stuff out.

R_of_G
November 12th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Yes, I do. Have not heard of the Thermals though, care to tell me about them?

Some acts from Portland that recently have been making a name for themselves are the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs and Pink Martini (with a piano player and a woman doing vocals).

The Thermals are a punk/pop band, from Portland. They are guitar/bass/drums [sometimes with a second guitar player, sometimes not]. I got into them after reading dozens of rave reviews about their 2006 album "The Body, The Blood, The Machine." After checking it out for myself and falling in love with the album, I picked up their earlier studio album and EP. They remind me somewhat, though not entirely, of very early Clash [like first two albums Clash]. Many of the lyrics on TB,TB,TM are very apt in our present political climate in the US. I'd say if you enjoy catchy punk melody, loud guitar, and interesting songs, you might enjoy them. And, living in Portland, you might actually get to see them live, which I do not get here in Florida [though I found two of their shows online and do like the way they sound live].

aeolian
November 12th, 2007, 04:47 PM
I love the Clash! I see what I can find out about the Thermals.

Did you see my thread about my newest guitar:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4745

just strum
November 12th, 2007, 05:12 PM
I need to make two comments:

1) I noticed that the younger people are leaning toward classic rock a lot more today than probably ever before. My son (18 years old) for a number of years has listened to Hendrix, The Who, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Zepplin... and almost none of the newer stuff. My 16 year old daughter is now becoming the same way. So the comments by Pie and Pes don't surprise me.

2) I was watching Austin City Limits on PBS the other night and they had a group on by the name of Arcade Fire. They are out of Canada and I didn't get to watch a whole lot, but what I did see I can say they KICKED BUTT.

pes_laul
November 12th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I need to make two comments:

1) I noticed that the younger people are leaning toward classic rock a lot more today than probably ever before. My son (18 years old) for a number of years has listened to Hendrix, The Who, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Zepplin... and almost none of the newer stuff. My 16 year old daughter is now becoming the same way. So the comments by Pie and Pes don't surprise me.

2) I was watching Austin City Limits on PBS the other night and they had a group on by the name of Arcade Fire. They are out of Canada and I didn't get to watch a whole lot, but what I did see I can say they KICKED BUTT.
pie and pes that either sounds like a cooking show or a funny sitcom:whatever:

one of the current "newer" & "popular" bands that are good are the foofighters.

sunvalleylaw
November 12th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Yeah, good call. I am not up on their current stuff, but enjoyed the immediate post nirvana stuff.

R_of_G
November 13th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Some acts from Portland that recently have been making a name for themselves are the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs ...

I was under the impression the YYY's were from New York City. Either way, they are pretty good band, with some cool guitar work.

Iago
November 13th, 2007, 02:34 PM
The only new stuff I dig probably is Derek Trucks and John Mayer. Don't have much time to listen to new bands.. I dont listen to radio at all.. in USA at least you guys have satelite radio and classic rock stations hehehe

pie_man_25
November 13th, 2007, 05:51 PM

yes but on the radio you can't see the bands.:rotflmao:

just strum
November 13th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I was under the impression the YYY's were from New York City. Either way, they are pretty good band, with some cool guitar work.

R_of_G, I like the avatar.:)

pes_laul
November 13th, 2007, 07:51 PM
yes but on the radio you can't see the bands.:rotflmao:
But pie have you never heard a girl say this? "oooooh pete wents is so hot" or "the lead singer from My chemical romance is so pretty":AOK: I was at a concert once and fallout boy was a opening act and boy did the singer sound bad I mean jeez i didnt know his voice was computerized in the studio that much. and on mtv live shows like the Awards ceromonys for all the bands they really mix down the live versions. man i need satelite radio:drool:

Tone2TheBone
November 14th, 2007, 10:13 AM
What about some of those Screamo Emo bands you guys like those? ;)

Bloozcat
November 14th, 2007, 12:43 PM
There was a time when commercial, top 40 AM radio was it. The Beatles came through that era along with most of the early "British Invasion" bands, including The Rolling Stones. So did some other pretty good American bands.

Then something happened that changed the whole face of music - FM radio. Bands began to turn away from the commercial Top 40 AM format and all of the control that the music industry of that era exerted over the format. FM "underground" stations began appearing all over the country, and we entered the golden age of rock music. Jimi Hendrix wasn't top 40, and if not for FM, we never would have known him. Same for Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and hundreds more. It took a few years before the Top 40 format stations started to take note of what was going on and began to slowly add some previously unknown (to them) bands to Top 40 radio. Even then, it was only those bands that AM Top 40 exec's considered palitable, and acceptable in their myopic little world view. So, most of us who were really interested in music, and in particular new rock music by new bands, continued to listen to the underground FM stations.

Then things changed again. This time the suits started taking control again by buying up FM radio stations and turning them into frequency modulated versions of their old amplitude modulated Top 40 crap format. The low key, music first approach was slowly and insidiously replaced by loud auto dealer adds, crass beer commercials, and other commercials from Air Conditioning contractors to Zit cream marketers. After awhile, the suits started calling their "new" creations "classic rock" stations and justified it by taking 2-3 of our favorite bands top songs out of the dozens and dozens that they wrote, and playing them ad naseum until you began to actually hate the songs you once loved.

So now, AM is mostly talk radio, and FM is firmly in the control of the same creeps that gave us Top 40. So your choices on the radio today boil down to Top 40 - FM style, "Classic Rock" (I hate that term), and the occasional Alternative Rock stations. Gone are the opportunities for the budding young performers of this generation who can't get a shot at a public who might actually like them. No, we now have to "choose" from the offerings that the commercial music industry exec's think we should be listening to - which is no choice at all.

But wait...all is not lost yet. There's a new frontier that's still wide open, and as of yet beyond the commercial radio execs' loathsome grasp - the internet. All the promise that was once embodied in the underground FM stations of old, is alive and well again. You see, we rockers young and old have always been a rebellious group who don't like being told what to listen to - or play.

As Thomas Jefferson once said: "A little revolution now and then is a good thing..."

Viva la revolution....:beer:

sunvalleylaw
November 14th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Nice summary Bloozcat!

pie_man_25
November 14th, 2007, 02:34 PM
There was a time when commercial, top 40 AM radio was it. The Beatles came through that era along with most of the early "British Invasion" bands, including The Rolling Stones. So did some other pretty good American bands.

Then something happened that changed the whole face of music - FM radio. Bands began to turn away from the commercial Top 40 AM format and all of the control that the music industry of that era exerted over the format. FM "underground" stations began appearing all over the country, and we entered the golden age of rock music. Jimi Hendrix wasn't top 40, and if not for FM, we never would have known him. Same for Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and hundreds more. It took a few years before the Top 40 format stations started to take note of what was going on and began to slowly add some previously unknown (to them) bands to Top 40 radio. Even then, it was only those bands that AM Top 40 exec's considered palitable, and acceptable in their myopic little world view. So, most of us who were really interested in music, and in particular new rock music by new bands, continued to listen to the underground FM stations.

Then things changed again. This time the suits started taking control again by buying up FM radio stations and turning them into frequency modulated versions of their old amplitude modulated Top 40 crap format. The low key, music first approach was slowly and insidiously replaced by loud auto dealer adds, crass beer commercials, and other commercials from Air Conditioning contractors to Zit cream marketers. After awhile, the suits started calling their "new" creations "classic rock" stations and justified it by taking 2-3 of our favorite bands top songs out of the dozens and dozens that they wrote, and playing them ad naseum until you began to actually hate the songs you once loved.

So now, AM is mostly talk radio, and FM is firmly in the control of the same creeps that gave us Top 40. So your choices on the radio today boil down to Top 40 - FM style, "Classic Rock" (I hate that term), and the occasional Alternative Rock stations. Gone are the opportunities for the budding young performers of this generation who can't get a shot at a public who might actually like them. No, we now have to "choose" from the offerings that the commercial music industry exec's think we should be listening to - which is no choice at all.

But wait...all is not lost yet. There's a new frontier that's still wide open, and as of yet beyond the commercial radio execs' loathsome grasp - the internet. All the promise that was once embodied in the underground FM stations of old, is alive and well again. You see, we rockers young and old have always been a rebellious group who don't like being told what to listen to - or play.

As Thomas Jefferson once said: "A little revolution now and then is a good thing..."

Viva la revolution....:beer:

exactly man, just because "the MAN" wants us to listen to something, we choose not to, and find new ways to do what we like, we are like a black cat, no matter what he tells us to do, no matter how hard he tries, we will do what we want. if he buys out the internet staions, we will simply make more, if he buys those out, we will find other ways to get music out.

Tone2TheBone
November 14th, 2007, 02:36 PM
exactly man, just because "the MAN" wants us to listen to something, we choose not to, and find new ways to do what we like, we are like a black cat, no matter what he tells us to do, no matter how hard he tries, we will do what we want. if he buys out the internet staions, we will simply make more, if he buys those out, we will find other ways to get music out.

That's right buddy you tell 'em. Stick it to da man!

Bloozcat
November 14th, 2007, 03:26 PM
You know it's funny. I was never one of those in the day who was "anti establishment", and I'm certainly not today. But there are some things in the corporate world that are just wrong. And taking the right to choose away from the buying public is just that - wrong. Our system was built on giving people what they want. Giving them alternatives. The proverbial, build a better mousetrap and people will beat a path to you door, kind of open market. The clowns in the commercial music industry are all about control, and that isn't what the public wants. You'd think the music exec's would wake up to this fact as their CD sales spiral downward each year.

A perfect example in the music world of giving people what they want, is Fender. Never in their long and esteemed history has Fender offered as many products, at as many price points as they offer today. It's free enterprise at it's best, and we all benefit from it.

just strum
November 14th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Well we can thank Al Gore because if he didn't invent the Internet, we would be lost.

Spudman
November 14th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Internet radio recently went through a very scary time.
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2817

If it wasn't for the action taken by this organization we might not have quality Internet radio today. So the next time the music industry wants to shut down Internet radio - SPEAK OUT!
http://www.savethestreams.org/

I remember when we got quality and new music on commercial radio too. Those days are gone now. Please support Internet radio.

R_of_G
November 15th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Internet radio recently went through a very scary time.
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2817

If it wasn't for the action taken by this organization we might not have quality Internet radio today. So the next time the music industry wants to shut down Internet radio - SPEAK OUT!
http://www.savethestreams.org/

I remember when we got quality and new music on commercial radio too. Those days are gone now. Please support Internet radio.

Excellent links Spud. That was a big issue around here in Tampa, FL when it was happening, at least for the listeners of our community radio station WMNF. MNF is one of the only true independent community radio stations in the country, existing solely off of donations from listeners and staffing the station with volunteers. While not all of their music programs are great, they offer sucha wide variety of music programming that no matter what you listen to, there will be a show on at some point that appeals to you. For me, it's interesting to hear new music on the radio as opposed to the "greatest hits" formats of commerical stations where even if you like the bands, it's always the same 2 or 3 songs from those bands. Anyway, WMNF streams all of their shows via the internet, so they were running up against the same issue that Spud raised with the stories he linked to. Because of their fight, I learned a lot about the issue, and Spud is right, it will happen again, and the next time, we ALL need to speak up about it.:AOK: