PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to record and post videos, like on YouTube?

YerDugliness
November 11th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Planning on buying a new desktop in December or January, and I'd like to get whatever I need to be able to record to digital format so I can upload to YouTube.

So far, I'm going for memory over features. I plan on getting a 400GB hard drive, don't care if the flatpanel monitor is 17" or 22", so plan on saving some $$ getting the smaller monitor.

So, guys, help a total noob here--what else do I need? Do I need a sound card (will purchase a computer with the new MS Visio OS)? I know I probably need a web cam, but what else? Really, I have absolutely NO idea how to go about this, so please post in simple, non-technical language as much as possible. At this time I have no interest in running a recording studio, just want to shoot some videos of myself in my comfy corner, and be able to put them up on YouTube, so..........???

Thanks, Guys & Gals!!!

Dugly :cool:

sunvalleylaw
November 11th, 2007, 11:23 PM
I am sure one of the Windows system guys (or Linux, Marnold :-)) guys can tell you the requirements in that world, but for me, going and getting one of the new iMacs makes sense. They have it all as far as features (I have not posted to youtube, but know how I would if I was ready to), and the software you need (iMovie) is all installed. Not to start any platform wars, just my .02 because it has worked for me for so long.

The iMacs have web cams built in too, or you can just use your video camera, and import it into iMovie to edit and get it ready to upload to youtube. Justa tells you how that works below.

Justaguyin_nc
November 12th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Congrats on getting a new computer..:beer:

What ya need should come with it basicly.

All you need after the computer is a way to record yourself.
As you mentioned a Webcam is one way and should come with the software needed to capture yourself to computer.
These usually run a bit slower than an actual camera. You will notice slowness in movement..
less RAM you have usually will even make it slower.
Make sure it is System ready..
If you got Vista, make sure it comes with Vista Drivers..etc etc.

Most Digital Camera's today have a Film mode... Thats another way.
At which point they will also have a USB cable and/or SD type card to transfer the movie to Computer.
Your Computer would need USB ports which ALL come with now but check to make sure...
and/or a Multicard Reader is a nice addition which alot come with.

If you have a Recording DV Camera or Mini 8 etc is another way.
These usually transfer to Computer thru FireWire connection.
Firewire is another option you might want to be sure your new computer has.

I don't know anything about Visio office Suite.. It might have a presentation with video built into it...

I know if your buying this year, your most likely going to have Vista.
Which will come with a program called Windows Movie Maker.
I believe Robert uses it all the time on his Movies..
pretty basic program with great Editing Results for your final product.

What you would do is Load the Movie you made into Movie Maker.. edit to your hearts content.. then save it back to computer ready for Youtube.

Youtube is basicly just a Upload site.. you start your account.. at which point you will have access to a button to Upload Video. A little walk thru from their site will have it up in no time.. Hardest thing will be remembering on your system where ya put the movies so you can upload them.

Thats really about all there is to it...
:AOK:

Suggestions on new computer would be.. Get plenty of RAM memory.. at least 2 gb if possible... most will come with 1gb alot come with 512k.. 512K barely gets Vista Running and will become a downfall to your enjoyment.. best to get a minimum of 2gb so the sytem has enough to do what you wish it to.

Also, even though you may not play games.. Videos etc are Graphics.. I would suggest it come with a Nvidia or ATI graphics card. either will do. This again will make your system run smooth without hickups from the slower built on graphics such as intel chips..

400 gb for storage is a great size for your first drive. If you get smaller though...and ever do start to run out of space, you can always add another to the inside or hook an external thru USB or Firewire from the outside.. these work really good these days..and are getting cheaper all the time!

You mentioned not wanting a recording studio.. so your basic SoundCard will probably do.. If your using one of the above external ways, it really will not matter. Later when you want to Just record music.. you will have USB and / or Firewire as an option to get one of the many devices that will allow you to record just sound to the computer.. and there are many to choose from.