PDA

View Full Version : "Raising Sand" - Robert Plant/Alison Krauss

R_of_G
November 12th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Picked this album up over the weekend. The possibilities of the vocal pairing of Plant and Krauss were more than enough to interest me in this project, but for me at least, the instrumentation offers quite the bonus. Marc Ribot plays guitar on all but three tracks, and steel/slide genius Greg Leisz [who does a lot of work with Bill Frisell among others] provides his touch on several tracks. The production by T-Bone Burnett is a bit heavy handed, but Ribot's edge comes through nonetheless. The afforementioned vocal work is still the highlight of the album. For starters, it's interesting to hear Plant harmonizing with another singer, particularly one who harmonizes as effortlessly as Krauss does. This is certainly no rocker of an album, but for anyone who is looking for a good laid back album with beautiful vocals and interesting blues/country/americana style playing, check it out.

sunvalleylaw
November 12th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I have heard great things about this collab. I think I will check it out and maybe get it for my wife for a stocking stuffer. I bet she would like it!