PDA

View Full Version : How many hours per week do you play guitar?

Robert
November 12th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Just curious to see how much people here spend playing guitar.

I play maybe 5 hours a week on average (probably less).

Algonquin
November 12th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Lately I've been playing a fair amount (5-10 Hrs). Maybe it's because the weather has cooled and I'm indoors more, but I like to have a guitar around. I'm not always practising... most times it's just making noise for my own enjoyment. I bit the bullet the other night and purchased another pickup to match the neck pickup I recently put in one of my guitars. (Sounds good!)

I made the mistake today of going to a guitar shop downtown, then into an outdoor equipment shop I buy my camping gear from. Needless to say my heads spinning with some of the gear I'd like to purchase. :drool:

Radioboy950
November 12th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I'm with the "1-5" crowd right now, as I am not in band.
Just writing, recording and playing for my own enjoyment...and jamming with my son (15) , which is the coolest thing. We like a lot of the same music and love dreaming about the next piece of gear we'd like to own.:)

sunvalleylaw
November 12th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I voted 1-5 to be safe, but I am plus or minus five. I play 6 - 7 times per week, but sometimes only for 15-30 minutes at some sittings. I suppose sometimes I play just 5 min. Might happen more than once in the day. Other times, if I am practicing, or have lessons, or playing with others I may go 1 or more hours in a sitting. Or I may plunk along while watching tv, not really paying attention to time. So I guessed conservative. That is up from an average of about no times per week before May, 2006. Had my acoustic then, but had not picked it up in a couple years.

aeolian
November 12th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I'm definitely 1-5 hours a week. Other than the 2 hours a week that I meet with 2 guys to jam which is fairly regular, I sometimes go 3 weeks without managing to touch a guitar. Sad but true.

pes_laul
November 13th, 2007, 07:59 PM
hmmmm I play a L-o-t say i get home from school about4:00 to like 8:30 so thats like 4 hours a night more on weekends cuz I jam with other people so thats a bunch but I dont have any video games except for a ds so thats basicaly the main thing i do

just strum
November 13th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Mine is 10 to 15 and sometimes more. Unfortunately I wouldn't call it quality playing/practicing time as there has been little advancement. I will say I practiced the pick holding today and got better at it (something so minor and yet can make such a big difference).

Adrian30
November 13th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I am at 1-5 hrs, too. Tonight I played for about 2 good and uninterrupted hours, and really enjoyed it. Wish I had more time.

duhvoodooman
November 13th, 2007, 08:42 PM
5 - 10 for me. Trying to make up for '80 - '97, which I pretty much took off from guitar-playing....

Robert
November 13th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Whoa, 5 - 1 DVM? That's almost like CHEATING! :D

duhvoodooman
November 13th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Whoa, 5 - 1 DVM? That's almost like CHEATING! :D
Cheating?!?!? C'mon, Robert, you've heard some of my clips! You know I can use all the practice I can get!! :eek:

Robert
November 13th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Well all that serious practice will probably take your playing to the next level. I don't practice enough, but I love playing whatever amount I end up playing. I just love playing guitar.

warren0728
November 13th, 2007, 09:03 PM
1-5 here....closer to the 1 hour unfortunately....it has been an adjustment process for me after the divorce but i am planning on devoting more time to guitar playing....i need some "me" time and guitar playing is just the ticket....

ww

Robert
November 13th, 2007, 09:06 PM
WHO voted more than 20 hours!??? :R

I am jealous...

Yeah Warren, in your position, the guitar is a great thing guaranteed!

SuperSwede
November 14th, 2007, 12:15 AM
I voted 1-5 hours, but it was a long time since I could play more than perhaps 2 hours / week...

Jimi75
November 14th, 2007, 02:02 AM
I voted 1-5 hours per week. Guitar playing is an important part of my life, but I have a familiy and I like spending much time with my kids and my wife. Oftentimes I get back home from work very late.

When I was younger I have easily played more than 25 hours a week.

Had I the mature mind that I have today, I would have made more out of the practicing time I had when I still went to school.

Brian Krashpad
November 14th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Not nearly enough. Maybe one or two hours tops. It used to be better when I was playing in church, then I'd have a practice (except when I played hooky, which was frequently if I had schedule conflicts with taking care of the kids) and an hour-long service every Sunday. In addtion to whatever rock band practices or shows I might have.

Played several hours on both Friday and Saturday nights this last weekend while camping with my son however. On my beatup old (but glorious sounding) Yammy 12-string. On the first night a mom from the next campsite over came by with her kids and listened for awhile, and gave Jack (my son) some S'mores fixings as a result.

Does that make me a professional? ;)

Spudman
November 14th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Does that make me a professional? ;)

Money makes you professional. You're just a smore slut.:D

Tone2TheBone
November 14th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I voted 1-5 also. Probably averages out to like 30 minutes a day...something like that. Kid's school...homelife...weekends...fishing...parties.. .projects...all take away from my time to play. When I get the time to play I just maintain my chops and maybe learn a new lick here and there...or I'll play acoustic...depends on what's playing in my head that day.

LagrangeCalvert
November 14th, 2007, 11:49 AM
10 - 15 for me......

three, 4 hour practices and 1-2, 90min. gigs a weekend.

I don't think unless I was getting paid enough to pay all the bills that I would play TWENTY hours plus A WEEK!

luvmyshiner
November 14th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I would guess probably 5-10 hours a week. I'm in with the crowd that always has a guitar sitting next to me. Commercials are a great time to grab one and play a little. And CB and I almost always devote an hour or two a night to some jamming and working on her lesson for the week.

pie_man_25
November 14th, 2007, 02:41 PM
7-21 hours a week, depending on my homework

Guitar Gal
November 14th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I probably average about 5 to 10 hours a week playing. I try to play some every day even if it is just for a few minutes. Now, if only I could find a way to incorporate guitar playing into my workday I could get in some serious playing time :DR .....

hmmmmm.... :whatever:

GG

TS808
November 14th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I play at least 10 or more a week...and I still suck!! lol

Ro3b
November 20th, 2007, 02:13 PM
I have a twice-a-week gig that accounts for about eight hours altoghter, and I practice an hour or two a day on top of that. It never seems like enough.

Big_Rob
November 20th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I would say on average about 7-8 hours a week. Work comes before play and all. :reallymad:

ted s
November 20th, 2007, 03:44 PM
not enough..

tot_Ou_tard
November 20th, 2007, 09:15 PM
5 - 10 for me, but not as much the last 3-4 weeks due to Ms ToT's surgery.

I want to play more & more each day.

Childbride
November 25th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Shiner gets home earlier than i most workdays, but i try to make up for it on weekends. we try to play an hour or two a night, and then if i don't have to prep for court on weekends, i log every single hour i can on my lesson and then play just for me.

it's kind of funny, and probably won't make sense, but we can literally both be working on a different song in the same room at the same time, b/c we're focused on what we want to learn.

it's so wonderful to have something that we both love and can share with each other... very rarely does a night go by where we don't play at least one song together. :D

so my vote is kind of actually skewed. on a bad week, 10-15. on a good week, lots more. :)

hubberjub
November 26th, 2007, 10:11 PM
I probably play 15-20 hours a week now. I was a classical guitar major in college and was practicing around 30 hours a week. It's not as fun when you have to play for a grade. I would have enjoyed college more if they let me drink during my lessons. I always made up for it after class though.

Ascension
November 26th, 2007, 10:39 PM
A BUNCH right now unfortunately. While I LOVE to practice and play I'm in Real Estate which is currently in the crapper. Suddenly I have too much time on my hands ---which normally means I'm :deadhorse: :whatever: and may have to get a REAL job if things don't break SOON :thwap:

Sblack
November 27th, 2007, 03:20 PM
I play 4-5 hours a week. I play roughly 30 minutes each day -- 15 dedicated practice and 15 song/free jamming. When things get busy around the house or at work, I cut back to 15-20 minutes a day. On weekends, however, I can play around an hour a day, maybe more if I am lucky.

R_of_G
November 27th, 2007, 03:33 PM
During the week I hardly get the chance to play at all as I work during the day, and spend most of my off time with my wife. On Saturdays and Sundays I try to put in a good 2-3 hours or practice each day, and most Saturday nights I try to either get together with a friend to play, or play some more on my own [less practice and more improv].

Spudman
April 23rd, 2008, 09:42 AM
My hourly playing time has gone up dramatically lately and the fluidity of technique and the ability to hear and anticipate changes has grown considerably in just 3 weeks. I'm probably playing at least 10 hours per week.

Even more important than the time spent playing is the constant searching for and learning new and inspiring material to perform live. Although I'm playing 3 of my original compositions the input of new cover material is fueling my creative side and more original ideas are emerging.

tremoloman
April 26th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I would have been in the 10-15 hour catagory a year ago, but with the absence of a lead singer at the moment I'm more in the 2-4 hour range.

just strum
April 26th, 2008, 12:52 PM
My practice/playing time is still about the same - 10 to 15 hours a week, but it's becoming increasingly more of quality time. Previously I felt somewhat adrift, but now I'm more focused and have a sense of direction. I also spend more time researching and reading up on theory.

Guitars and gear: a lot of dollars

Lessons: $95 a month

Results: Priceless