PDA

View Full Version : T.J. Kirk

R_of_G
November 13th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Anybody else familiar with the jazz/funk project called "T.J. Kirk?" The band, consisting of guitarists Charlie Hunter, Will Bernard, and John Schott, with Scott Amendola on drums, attempted to blend the music of James Brown, Thelonious Monk, and Rashaan Roland Kirk.

The band no longer exists, though I am a big fan of many other projects Hunter and Bernard have participated in since. Anyway, if you like jazz and funk, and want to see some sweet playing, check them out...

To sort them out on the video, Hunter plays the 8-string guitar, Bernard is the one playing slide, Schott is obv. the other.

FXjPSuppYck

Algonquin
November 13th, 2007, 06:04 PM
When I saw the thread title I thought to myself...

'Ohhh no! not another William Shatner music video'

:D

just strum
November 13th, 2007, 06:23 PM

I thought "Holy Cow" ok, I won't go there.

R_of_G, I never heard of these guys, but I like this video or should I say the music.

Algonquin
November 13th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I thought "Holy Cow" ok, I won't go there.

Very good Strum! :rotflmao:

R_of_G
November 14th, 2007, 08:57 AM

I couldn't do that to you guys, or myself for that matter!:rotflmao:

If I'm not mistaken, they did originally go by J.T. Kirk when they started playing gigs, but ran into legal difficulties when they wanted to record under that name, so they transposed the two letters [which also makes it a TJ Hooker reference as well] to become T.J. Kirk.

Big_Rob
November 14th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Ooooh, Robby likie!!!

sunvalleylaw
November 14th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Niiiicccce!

sunvalleylaw
November 14th, 2007, 09:40 AM
P.S. I love the fez! Reminds me of Howard Cunningham or Fred Flintstone!

R_of_G
November 14th, 2007, 09:59 AM
P.S. I love the fez! Reminds me of Howard Cunningham or Fred Flintstone!

Steve, +1 for referencing The Loyal Order of the Water Buffalo!:AOK:

Glad you guys like. Charlie and Will are both monster live players that I have seen seperately in a couple of other projects. T.J. Kirk's studio albums are fantastic as both a showcase for these great guitarists, as well as blending the source material from three such amazing musicians [Brown, Monk, and Kirk].