PDA

View Full Version : M. Ribot, Plant T-Bone Burnett and A. Krause

tjcurtin1
November 13th, 2007, 08:29 PM
My wife just brought home a new CD (she NEVER buys CD's!) that she heard on NPR - Raising Sands, with quite the lineup - RObert Plant and Alison Krause vocals, T-Bone Burnett and Marc Ribot on guitars (with others in the band). Only just heard it, but there is some beautiful stuff here - hard to describe - check it out.

sunvalleylaw
November 13th, 2007, 09:51 PM
My wife just brought home a new CD (she NEVER buys CD's!) that she heard on NPR - Raising Sands, with quite the lineup - RObert Plant and Alison Krause vocals, T-Bone Burnett and Marc Ribot on guitars (with others in the band). Only just heard it, but there is some beautiful stuff here - hard to describe - check it out.

I found this clip looking for a little taste. :) I think R_of_G made me aware of it and I have interested since. (Ah yes, here it is: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4751 )
Good to hear you like it!

g5KF4dKq-6I

R_of_G
November 14th, 2007, 09:43 AM

Ted, +1 for listing Ribot first in your thread title! I didn't even do that and he's my current avatar. Ribot has been playing dobro a lot in his recent solo outings, so it's cool he gets a few chances to use it on this album, as well as banjo and guitar.

Glad someone else who has heard the album likes it. I gave it a second listen at work yesterday, and I still enjoy it a lot.

BTW, as I mentioned in my thread on this album [no harm done missing that one], one of the "others in the band" is Greg Leisz. He plays the steel and slide guitars that are on some of the tracks. I am very familiar with Leisz's playing because he has appeared on several of Bill Frisell's albums (as well as a live Frisell show I found), so it's cool to hear how he belnds his style with some other players.

Here is some video of Leisz and Frisell...

Part 1:

GeR3PDn7ri4

Part 2:

5_pf8W6MYuU

tjcurtin1
November 14th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Steve - thanks for that clip - I was wondering how this came about and there's nothing in the liner notes.

R of G - I had just read your post on Ribot, and so listed him first with you in mind!

Robert
November 14th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I just bought the album too.

R_of_G
November 15th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Steve - thanks for that clip - I was wondering how this came about and there's nothing in the liner notes.

R of G - I had just read your post on Ribot, and so listed him first with you in mind!

Cool! When I first read about the album a few weeks ago I had no idea that he was involved. The first review didn't mention him at all. I thought the idea of Plant and Krauss was intriguing enough, and figured with Burnett producing it would sound pleasing, and so had planned on picking it up at some point. Then I came across a couple more reviews, both of which mentioned that Marc was playing on the majority of the album, and one even mentioned Greg Leisz. Then I was sold. I bought it the first chance I got.