PDA

View Full Version : AD30VT Line to House AND monitor from amp

djmcconnell
November 14th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I bought my AD30VT about a year ago and am finally discovering its power. I'd like to use it at our church, but since the 30 doesn't have a separate line out, I'd have to sacrifice the ability to monitor my playing through the amp by using the headphone jack.

Beyond putting a mic on the amp, is there a mod for this?

SuperSwede
November 15th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Hi djmcconnel, welcome to the fretnet! Please write something about yourself in the Fret Players section :)

About your amp, you can plug in one of these sweet boxes between the poweramp and the speaker:
http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php?mode=prod&id=110
The Red Box is a excellent DI box with speaker simulation.

djmcconnell
November 15th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the recommendation -- I wasn't absolutely sure if a DI box would work off the headphone jack.

One follow-on question: when I use the headphone jack now, it cuts out the speaker on the amp. Is there a way I can modify the AD30VT to drive sound out through the headphone jack, and still monitor from the amp itself?

duhvoodooman
November 15th, 2007, 09:14 AM
I'm quite sure there is, if you're willing to oopen the back of the amp and start cutting and soldering wires. Suggest you look through the following forum, since I'd be amazed if this hasn't already been covered there:

Patchtronix forum (http://www.patchtronix.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewforum&f=2&sid=9996156bd4c6d501bd688530f7c3f59e)

SuperSwede
November 15th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the recommendation -- I wasn't absolutely sure if a DI box would work off the headphone jack.

One follow-on question: when I use the headphone jack now, it cuts out the speaker on the amp. Is there a way I can modify the AD30VT to drive sound out through the headphone jack, and still monitor from the amp itself?

No not the headphone jack, you should connect the red box between the speaker and the power amp.
I am fairly sure that the AD30VT has a speaker simulated headphone out, but usually that doesnt sound very good.

duhvoodooman
November 15th, 2007, 10:31 AM
The line out on the AD30VT is before the 12AX7 tube and power output to the speakers. I use it often for headphone output when I want to play quietly at home, and it definitely sounds nowhere near as good as going through the speaker. Lacking warmth and too much treble, quite harsh sounding at many settings.

djmcconnell
November 15th, 2007, 12:28 PM
So better yet, is there a mod that can add a line out from after the tube that would be better for both headphones and to a DI box? I'll try the Patchtronix and Valetronix sites more to see if that solution is available.

Dave