PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio

Tim
March 8th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Does anybody have experience with XM Radio? My family is pitching in and buying me one for my birthday. I am looking at the Roadie XT or the new Delphi MyFi. The MyFi comes with the car, home and walkman accessories for $148.00. The Roadi XT can be bought for either car or home for $49.00. If I buy the car unit, I will need to by the home kit for another $49.00 and the adapter for walkman type use, which I do not know the cost. I am also interested in the life span of the radios. Are they built tuff or do they wear out after 10 – 12 months of use and transferring back and forth from home and car? Any feedback from other XM Radio users will be appreciated.

Nelskie
March 8th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Tim - I posted an XM thread under this same "Open Mic" section back on Jan. 5th. If you look back, I think you'll find it under page 3. That thread doesn't touch too much on durability issues you've addressed, but I've had mine for over a year with absolutely no problems at all. I have the SkyFi 2 unit.

Tim
March 9th, 2006, 05:00 AM
Nelskie – Thanks for the reminder. I forgot about that thread. I guess I had a “pressure release” moment. I think I am going to purchase the Roadie XT car package for $49.00 and also buy the home kit. I am concerned about switching from cradle to cradle and wearing out the contact on the actual radio.

I called XM Radio yesterday and they told me about their new models coming out in April. They are all the MyFi design but will be capable of recording 56 hours of radio music along with having the capability of recording MP3 music from a computer. Of course they are all “walkman” type units.