PDA

View Full Version : Violent Femmes, for this week's Friday tunes.

sunvalleylaw
November 16th, 2007, 11:40 AM
For this Friday, here is some stuff I got into my last couple years of college in the mid-80s. The Femmes had a cult type following among the college campus types. Pretty twisty stuff that fit with that time of life. Good road tripping sing along in the car tunes. Parental advisory for subject matter and language. :) Who else got into this stuff?

KZXhlwYOyLw

4tCL3bTFDog&feature=related

A trailer for a rockumentary on the band and acoustic punk
q5SnMsy_bVU

Robert
November 16th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Never heard of them! Are we having a "Friday Tunes" tradition now? That's a cool idea! Thanks Steve.

Algonquin
November 16th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Blister in the Sun... :beer:

A very cool tune included in the 'Grosse Point Blank' soundtrack. :AOK:

sunvalleylaw
November 16th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Yah, it seems most Fridays I take a few minutes to look on Youtube for something a bit rowdy, typically something I used to listen to on Friday afternoons or something like that. And of course, listening to music, especially loudish type music, is more fun with your friends! :beer:

R_of_G
November 16th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Good choice Steve!

Given my punk leanings, it is prob no surprise to anyone that I am into them. I actually saw them when I was in high school [1986] and they rocked, particularly bass player Brian Ritchie. Steve, don't know if you have it or not, but there is a performance DVD of the Femmes called "Permanent Record" that I have which is quite good.

Also, I like Robert's idea of making Friday Tunes a fixture. I know I've enjoyed the majority of stuff Steve has posted to date, and I'm sure others know some great stuff to share as well. And for me, I will continue to share the experimental, the unusual, and the rest of whatever you want to call what I've shared as far as my tastes go. I do like music other people would like too:rotflmao:

sunvalleylaw
November 16th, 2007, 12:06 PM
No I don't have that DVD. I should look for it. Maybe even Netflix has it. They sent me the SRV Montreaux discs for example. No reason not to keep it going on Fridays. People could just throw links into an existing Friday thread, or start their own if it seems right. Robert and Co. have set it all up for us here. :AOK:

Big_Rob
November 16th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Heh, I signed up Brian Ritchie's mom and stepdad for internet service with my ISP last year. She was really proud of her son and his musical accomplishments.

luvmyshiner
November 16th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Hey Steve! You just made my lovely child bride's day! She graduated high school in 1987 (God I feel old:messedup: ) and was a big fan.

just strum
November 16th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Blister in the Sun received a lot of airplay on the alternative station and still can be heard from time-to-time.

You can be the forums Dick Clark or Casey Cason. We already look forward to your Friday posts.

Now, do you take requests?

sunvalleylaw
November 16th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Shiner, glad to oblige! I was six years ahead of her.
Big Rob, cool story! Strum, glad you are enjoying it. Kind of a fun Friday thing when I have time. No requests though, that is what the search function on youtube is for. :D

Everyone else, Happy Friday and thanks for tuning in!

:beer:

just strum
November 16th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Well I like the Friday spot and look forward to it. Unfortunately it's blocked at work, so it's my place to go when I log on when I get home on Friday's.

sunvalleylaw
November 16th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Well I like the Friday spot and look forward to it. Unfortunately it's blocked at work, so it's my place to go when I log on when I get home on Friday's.

That's great! Please feel free Strum, or anyone, to throw something in the ring too. Don't matter if we need to wait til Fri night for yours. It's still Friday!

luvmyshiner
November 16th, 2007, 08:08 PM
I like the "Friday" idea Steve. I'll see if I can't dig up something from my generation in the next few weeks.:rotflmao:

(Hmmm, where did I put that Carpenter's album:messedup: )

just strum
November 16th, 2007, 08:22 PM

I was afraid of that.:puke: (sort of a Karen imitation)

sunvalleylaw
November 17th, 2007, 12:06 AM
I like the "Friday" idea Steve. I'll see if I can't dig up something from my generation in the next few weeks.:rotflmao:

Yeah, except for Friday music is kinda supposed to rock some! Kinda a blow out the carbon from the week sort of thing, not blow out the chunks. :messedup: (not a Karen reference, really, that actually is very sad).

Well, I guess we could be "on top of the world' or some such if you want us to be. :rotflmao:

Childbride
November 20th, 2007, 05:51 PM
SVL... [now that i'm here, i can actually reply to this one...] :D

that brings back some very, VERY fond memories. i had the lyrics to those songs memorized! [laugh]

snarph
November 20th, 2007, 06:22 PM
hey their a preppy devo....................:):):)

sunvalleylaw
November 20th, 2007, 09:51 PM
SVL... [now that i'm here, i can actually reply to this one...] :D

that brings back some very, VERY fond memories. i had the lyrics to those songs memorized! [laugh]
Hey, glad to oblige!

Yeah, Snarph, they are kind of a preppy, sarcastic Devo in a way.

sunvalleylaw
February 22nd, 2009, 12:10 AM
My old link to a "Gone Daddy Gone" vid was dead so here is a new one to a recent live performance.

5gjsd7a02Zw&feature=related

markb
February 22nd, 2009, 01:42 AM
I used to like them but not enough to buy their records. Then I forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder.

Suhnton
February 22nd, 2009, 06:24 PM
I saw them on their "Why Do Birds Sing?" tour in 1991. They'd polished up their sound quite a bit by then, but they still had some raw energy on stage.

Wasn't Ornette Coleman a fan?