PDA

View Full Version : Salutations!

R.B. Huckleberry
November 16th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Hello, everyone! I've been lurking here for a while, and figured now is as good a time as any to introduce myself.

I'm a 37 father of 2 who's playing has been bumped down to hobbyist status the last couple of years.

I'm currently ampless, having had to sell my amps in a hurry to get together some cash towards a new car for my wife (we were looking into it already, but her car died suddenly and we had to step up the timetable).

So: when the holidays are done with, the wife has told me "the sky's the limit" on a new amp!

Currently, I'm borrowing my daughter's Roland Micro-Cube. Any port in a storm...

My current lineup of guitars:

PRS McCarty Standard
Hamer 25th Anniversary Edition
Fender American Series Telecaster
G&L ASAT Special
Reverend 10th Anniversary Jetstream HB
Martin D-15

Great place & people you have here. Glad to be aboard.

R_of_G
November 16th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Welcome aboard RB. Hope you enjoy it here.

Robert
November 16th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Welcome RB, glad you stepped up! Ooh, a Reverend aficionado, eh? You're not alone! :beer:

Adrian30
November 16th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Welcome RBW. Nice to have you here.

Impressive list of guitars!

mrmudcat
November 16th, 2007, 04:57 PM
yes welcome to the fret:beer:

ted s
November 16th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Welcome RB, thanks for the intro. Sounds like some nice gear you have.

R.B. Huckleberry
November 16th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks, folks!

I actually used to be pretty involved with promoting Reverend. At one point all I owned were Reverend guitars & amps (I also started up "The Reverend Congregation" on the FDP). But there were tons of things I wanted to try/buy/own, so you know the story: gotta sell to buy. My 10th Anniversary model was a 2007 birthday present from my wife.

There other guitars have good stories behind them, so I really don't know if I could part with any of them at this point.

sunvalleylaw
November 16th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Welcome R.B!! Glad to have you here.

M29
November 16th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Welcome R.B. Huckleberry:AOK:

M29

just strum
November 16th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Huck, Welcome to the forum and it sounds like you have an in-depth knowledge of guitars and amps, so a lot of us will be tuned in to what you have to contribute.

pes_laul
November 16th, 2007, 07:38 PM
welcome aboard dude:AOK: so what kind of music are you into?

Tone2TheBone
November 17th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Welcome RB glad to have you here. :)

SuperSwede
November 17th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Welcome!

R.B. Huckleberry
November 17th, 2007, 06:53 AM
welcome aboard dude:AOK: so what kind of music are you into?

I love classic rock, and I love blues, but I'll listen to anything that has some guitar in it.

My favorite artists/bands/players are:

Queen,
AC/DC,
Van Halen,
The Red Hot Chili Peppers,
U2,
Stevie Ray Vaughan,
Motley Crue (yes, I typed that),
Extreme (yes, I typed that too!)

The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Free, Bad Co., etc., etc.,

tot_Ou_tard
November 17th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Welcome Huckleberry Bear!

Which of those is your favorite guitar?

I'd love to hear your opinions about the Rev & the ASAT in particular.

R.B. Huckleberry
November 17th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Welcome Huckleberry Bear!

Which of those is your favorite guitar?

I'd love to hear your opinions about the Rev & the ASAT in particular.

My current favorite is the Reverend. I had a bunch of the US-made phenolic versions some years ago, but "creative accounting" on the part of my spouse resulted in my having to sell them to pay some bills (that I didn't know I had. Don't worry: things are fine now). The new Reverend was a surprise gift, and her way of setting things right (of course, getting a new job that pays waaaaay more than mine helped out, too. LOL). It's versatile, and has an excellent sound for riffing. The humbuckers balance very well out of the box, anf the neck pickup is wound to be a little cleaner than the bridge pickup. Hence, a very good tone for bluesy noodling. The neck is amazing.

The ASAT is a Telecaster on steroids. I've read that repeatedly, and it holds true. Glassy lead tones, and it crunches fabulously. I bought it by accident: I had won a $1000 award at work, and was looking at some other guitars. My son, who was 6 at the time, kept staring at this black ASAT Special with birdseye maple neck/fretboard, and creme pickguard & pickup covers. He is mildly autistic and focuses on things...sometines for reasons only he knows. Well, I thought the ASAT was ugly, and I prefer rosewood fretboards, but he kept saying "that one, that one" to me.

I pulled it off the wall, plugged it in, and was floored by the sound and playability. A week later, award check deposited, I went to a G&L clinic at the store. Will Ray was demonstrating G&L guitars. I was one of only 2 people who volunteered to jam with him (gulp!). On my way to the stage, I grabbed that black/creme ASAT. I bought it that night for a truly sick discount.

warren0728
November 17th, 2007, 08:35 AM
welcome RB....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

Robert
November 17th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I remember that thread on FDP! It was the main reason I bought a Rocco and a Hellhound! I remember you too from there. Cool!

tot_Ou_tard
November 17th, 2007, 09:00 AM
My current favorite is the Reverend. I had a bunch of the US-made phenolic versions some years ago, but "creative accounting" on the part of my spouse resulted in my having to sell them to pay some bills (that I didn't know I had. Don't worry: things are fine now). The new Reverend was a surprise gift, and her way of setting things right (of course, getting a new job that pays waaaaay more than mine helped out, too. LOL). It's versatile, and has an excellent sound for riffing. The humbuckers balance very well out of the box, anf the neck pickup is wound to be a little cleaner than the bridge pickup. Hence, a very good tone for bluesy noodling. The neck is amazing.

The ASAT is a Telecaster on steroids. I've read that repeatedly, and it holds true. Glassy lead tones, and it crunches fabulously. I bought it by accident: I had won a $1000 award at work, and was looking at some other guitars. My son, who was 6 at the time, kept staring at this black ASAT Special with birdseye maple neck/fretboard, and creme pickguard & pickup covers. He is mildly autistic and focuses on things...sometines for reasons only he knows. Well, I thought the ASAT was ugly, and I prefer rosewood fretboards, but he kept saying "that one, that one" to me.

I pulled it off the wall, plugged it in, and was floored by the sound and playability. A week later, award check deposited, I went to a G&L clinic at the store. Will Ray was demonstrating G&L guitars. I was one of only 2 people who volunteered to jam with him (gulp!). On my way to the stage, I grabbed that black/creme ASAT. I bought it that night for a truly sick discount.
Very nice story behind that ASAT, your son entralled with it, jamming with Will Ray, & paid for by an award!

[side note to R of G: sometimes when ka blows like a sweet warm breeze ;)]

I've been attracted to the ASAT Special semihollow & the Rev Club King 290, Manta Ray 290, & Jetstream 390.

I'd love a USA Avenger in Lava Swirl like this' un:

KMpB2VVqTSw

duhvoodooman
November 17th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Greetings & welcome to TheFret, R.B.! Great bunch of guitars there, and sounds like there's a great bunch of stories to go with them! Looking forward to hearing more of them. :AOK:

And, helpful bunch that we are, we'll give you all kinds of help in selecting that new amp. Even if you're not looking for help! ;)

R.B. Huckleberry
November 17th, 2007, 09:46 AM

You say true, I say thankya! :)

And I welcome any & all advice towards the purchase of a new amp. Got a short list with a Rivera Chubster in the lead. But having the amount of time I have to ponder, I could probably turned to something else.

duhvoodooman
November 17th, 2007, 10:13 AM
THESE (http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Express/Express.htm) are very cool amps. Extremely versatile. The reviews that I've read have been great....

R.B. Huckleberry
November 17th, 2007, 10:18 AM
THESE (http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Express/Express.htm) are very cool amps. Extremely versatile. The reviews that I've read have been great....

I loved the predecessor of those amps: The "F" Series. Particularly the 50 watt model. Those were the most straightforward Boogies I'd seen in a while.

R_of_G
November 17th, 2007, 11:11 AM

And I welcome any & all advice towards the purchase of a new amp. Got a short list with a Rivera Chubster in the lead. But having the amount of time I have to ponder, I could probably turned to something else.

RB clearly remembers the face of his father. Robert is also a Tower junkie. A few of the other guys here started reading The Gunslinger awhile back. Wonder how that's going...

R_of_G
November 17th, 2007, 11:14 AM

Tot, +1 for getting in a Tower reference on the 19th post in this thread. Nice to see you back. Hope all is well with Mrs. Tot.

Long days and pleasant nights.

sunvalleylaw
November 17th, 2007, 11:44 AM
RB clearly remembers the face of his father. Robert is also a Tower junkie. A few of the other guys here started reading The Gunslinger awhile back. Wonder how that's going... I still need to find me a copy of the second book. The local library was out last I looked. We are travelling for Thanksgiving, so I will make sure to see if I can find a copy. Good time to start. Ok, off the off topic. Welcome again RB, we go off topic now and again here. :rotflmao:

R.B. Huckleberry
November 17th, 2007, 11:48 AM
RB clearly remembers the face of his father. Robert is also a Tower junkie. A few of the other guys here started reading The Gunslinger awhile back. Wonder how that's going...

My all time favorite books.

"R_of_G", eh? Hmmmmmm...familiar, in a way. But then: ka is a wheel.

R.B. Huckleberry
November 17th, 2007, 11:49 AM
I still need to find me a copy of the second book. The local library was out last I looked. We are travelling for Thanksgiving, so I will make sure to see if I can find a copy. Good time to start. Ok, off the off topic. Welcome again RB, we go off topic now and again here. :rotflmao:

The second book is my favorite.

You will either:

a) never eat lobster again, or

b) eat it angry

R_of_G
November 17th, 2007, 11:59 AM
My all time favorite books.

"R_of_G", eh? Hmmmmmm...familiar, in a way. But then: ka is a wheel.

Mine as well. And yes, R_of_G is for Roland of Gilead. Had a Roland avatar up for awhile but wanted to see something new. There'll be water if ka wills it.

tot_Ou_tard
November 17th, 2007, 05:55 PM

thankee sai

tap, tap, tap

We are well met, are we not?

tot_Ou_tard
November 17th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Tot, +1 for getting in a Tower reference on the 19th post in this thread. Nice to see you back. Hope all is well with Mrs. Tot.

Long days and pleasant nights.
& may yee have double the number.

That 19 was just ka blowing, it wasn't planned.

I've just started reading the Wolves of Calla so 19 has just started blowing in as well.

Thanks, R O' G!

Mrs ToT is healing as she should. It'll be another month or so until she's back to her oldself.

tot_Ou_tard
November 17th, 2007, 06:00 PM
The second book is my favorite.

You will either:

a) never eat lobster again, or

b) eat it angry
I like the 3rd & 4th best (I've just started the 5th).

R_of_G
November 17th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I like the 3rd & 4th best (I've just started the 5th).

I still envy you a bit that the time between books 3 and 4 for you was but the time it took to buy the next book, rather than waiting years for King to write a fourth book! I felt as if I were captive on Blaine the Mono longer than Roland's ka-tet.

You're in for a fun ride from here on out. I love book "Wolves of the Calla" as it's essentially a twist on Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai."

tot_Ou_tard
November 17th, 2007, 08:48 PM
I felt as if I were captive on Blaine the Mono longer than Roland's ka-tet.

:messedup: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :messedup:

oldguy
November 18th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Welcome to TheFret.Net ka, err, roland, uh, I mean, gunslinger, no, no, umm, lobster... just a minute.... I got it.

R.B El loco Huckleberry :rotflmao:

R.B. Huckleberry
November 18th, 2007, 12:59 PM
heh. "El Guano Loco" is the name I plan on using when I ditch guitar-strangling for Lucha wrestling.

No definitive plans, but why not be prepared?

Brian Krashpad
November 20th, 2007, 07:22 AM
heh. "El Guano Loco" is the name I plan on using when I ditch guitar-strangling for Lucha wrestling.

No definitive plans, but why not be prepared?

Because, sometime a man like to wear stretchy pants!

http://observer.case.edu/Images/884.png

Welcome aboard.

warren0728
November 20th, 2007, 03:49 PM
jack black rocks....that movie is a fav with me and the kids!

ww