PDA

View Full Version : Best Time of Day

just strum
November 17th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Assume you have absolutely no responsibilities except to practice and play guitar 4 to 5 hours a day. Every one of your other responsibilities were secondary or handled by someone else.

Given that, what time of the day do you think you would fulfill your responsibility.

For me, I think I would pick morning for at least three hours of my required time. I am much more attentive in the morning. My mind seems to be quicker. The three hours in the morning would be a practice session to take advantage of my alertness and retentive state. I would probably fill half of the morning session by jamming with other guitarists (what better way to learn). Since in this fantasy none of us work, I would probably be inviting a lot of you over to the house using my recently installed transporter.

The remaining two hours would probably be spent in the evening when I tend to be more abstract and creative. These two hours would be used to create something from the morning sessions.

Since I would have no other responsibilities I would probably often find myself going over the required hours.

sunvalleylaw
November 17th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I would probably split it most days, and would likely to one to two in the morning, and two to three in the evening. But knowing myself, I would likely mix that up. Sometime mid-day, I would be outside skiing, biking or something cool.

R_of_G
November 17th, 2007, 03:30 PM
9pm-2am. it's when i find my creativity and attention spans at their peak. these days i'm typically asleep for most of that time, but going along with the hypothetical of this thread and assuming i didn't have to work from 8-5 as i do now, it'd be somewhere around that time, which is when i typically play on wknds. :AOK:

Jimi75
November 17th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I have heard theories that the concious mind is the most relaxed from 4-6 in the morning. If I could manage to get up at 4 and if I had no responsibilites I would do so. Then I would have another two hours in the evening, so I have the chance to let the entire day inspire me to create new music and to apply the new learned stuff fomr the morning session.

pie_man_25
November 17th, 2007, 06:58 PM
most of them in the evening, the others in the wee hours in the mourning, when I usually wake up and can't get back to sleep.

Spudman
November 17th, 2007, 07:56 PM
9pm-2am. it's when i find my creativity and attention spans at their peak.

For me years of gigging has conditioned me to like the late hours best. My body is warmed up and I've got a full days worth of energy coursing through my veins just waiting to come out of my finger tips. Then I like to go to bed afterward with that sense of accomplishment and joy. I'm very at peace then.

YerDugliness
November 17th, 2007, 09:45 PM
For me it would be a split shift. I seem to naturally wake up earlier as I get older, so I would probably start with the guitar at around 7 AM and go till about 9 or so.

I like to fiddle a bit in the early afternoon, but it's usually b/c I'm just jittery at that time of day, nothing quite musical about it, just noodling about.

My best time is from 10 PM on. Given the parameters of reality you have provided, I'd probably play from 10 PM to 1 or 2 AM.

Feel free to beam me over for the morning jam sessions--we'll jam out on our Dots and Washburns, just make sure you beam me back home in time for brunch, please!

Dugly :cool:

Tone2TheBone
November 18th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Late late hours definately.

mrmudcat
November 18th, 2007, 06:10 AM
ditto^^^^^ 12-5am:Dude:

SuperSwede
November 18th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Late night! I cannot play anything before 12 :)

just strum
November 18th, 2007, 07:37 AM
ditto^^^^^ 12-5am:Dude:

Late late hours definately.

Late night! I cannot play anything before 12 :)

You guys are real rockers. Maybe if I could live the fantasy of no responsibility could I do that, but even then I'm not sure. Today if I'm awake at that time I am usually in a bit of a fog. I don't think I would absorb and retain anything.

LagrangeCalvert
November 18th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Well...since I don't have another Job but to play music (my girlfriend works two jobs so I can chase my dream....lucky me , I know) and Jamie (my S/O) gets mad if I do not practice at LEAST an hour a day I feel Strum wrote this question for me :D ......

I know...I should play more BUT I devote the rest of my time to Finding Gig's, Promoting my band, Playing acoustic stuff at coffee shops and working on designs and such.

Wow....this just puts it all into perspective for me.....

I have a GREAT life...........

I wish everyone had the time to practice more........

just strum
November 19th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Well...since I don't have another Job but to play music (my girlfriend works two jobs so I can chase my dream....lucky me , I know) and Jamie (my S/O) gets mad if I do not practice at LEAST an hour a day I feel Strum wrote this question for me :D ......

I know...I should play more BUT I devote the rest of my time to Finding Gig's, Promoting my band, Playing acoustic stuff at coffee shops and working on designs and such.

Wow....this just puts it all into perspective for me.....

I have a GREAT life...........

I wish everyone had the time to practice more........

I think we should all yell at you for not practicing more, but we have to get past our envy first. If you are reading this - stop, and get back to practicing, you lucky....!!!!

LagrangeCalvert
November 19th, 2007, 09:24 PM
I just got back from a gig.....coffee shop deal where someone reads poetry and I play acoustic behind them...just random, make stuff up on the fly.....it paid 30 dollars for me to get a free cup o' Joe and hear some other creative minds do the thing and for me to play around with the acoustic.........

I will practice more....I promise!

Childbride
November 20th, 2007, 06:02 PM
that, strummy, is a thought-provoking question...

i would split it up as well. i work earlier on the day [now] on weekends on my lessons, keys, et al... the stuff i HAVE to do when i'm in 'business mode'.

the stuff i love to play, and the creative stuff, usually happens later, in the evening. that's when i tend to just jam with shiner and work on the songs 'for me'...

so that would probably prevail in this scenario.