PDA

View Full Version : Elvis

just strum
November 18th, 2007, 10:03 AM
I am a fan of the 3 minute song and one of the best writers of those songs is Elvis Costello.

XDNDqYl65sU&feature=related

jLesCQvXVUw

This next one has a 10 to 15 sec delay in the beginning.

rMnQFxDltgI

This is a video of the same song, but making a visual statement to go with the audio. It's not so much a political statement, but more a caring statement and a statement about the world, not just the war. If you think it will offend you, please don't watch it. If the mods decide to remove it, so be it. Or if you want me to remove it, just contact me - It's just a great song without a hidden meaning. We all have our opinions, but I think we all agree on PEACE.

I hope no one is offended.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hWbMX71Ht7o

R_of_G
November 18th, 2007, 10:14 AM
I like E.C. too, though you do realize "What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love & Understanding" is not his song, right? I like the song very much, and enjoy his version of it, but Nick Lowe wrote the song. Somewhere I actually have a very nice version of the two of them performing it together.

And, for the record, I am glad you posted it. I prefer Peace to War.:AOK:

just strum
November 18th, 2007, 10:28 AM
I like E.C. too, though you do realize "What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love & Understanding" is not his song, right? I like the song very much, and enjoy his version of it, but Nick Lowe wrote the song. Somewhere I actually have a very nice version of the two of them performing it together.

And, for the record, I am glad you posted it. I prefer Peace to War.:AOK:

Honestly I wasn't sure who wrote it, but I'm not suprised to find Nick wrote it. There are a couple of versions of Elvis and Nick together on YouTube. I almost posted one, so here it is and giving the acoustics some playing time

wE3_QFu7epQ

You just can't get enough peace, love and understanding.:AOK:

sunvalleylaw
November 18th, 2007, 10:54 AM
EC is a favorite of mine. Thanks for posting. "My Aim is True" is one of my favorite albums from that time. I did not know that Nick Lowe wrote "Peace . . ." Ya learn something every day here at the fret if ka wills it!

EDIT: I just watched the clips. Great ones! Thanks! You know, peace love and understanding are not funny. Tough questions. Peace over all, at the expense of true justice (based on love) is not lasting. How to get there is a challenging puzzle. I think the three virtues mentioned in the song together are necessary. I hope that is not too political. Just human in my opinion. :)

tjcurtin1
November 18th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Yeah, EC is one of my all-time favorites, and a songwriterr up there with McCartney IMHO - one great catchy (or grabbing, stomping, biting) melody after another with razor sharp lyrics to go with. I also think he's something of an under-rated (unrated?) guitarist, even tho he refers to himself as LFC (I think that's it - little fingers of concrete). I know that he often has killer guitarists on his albums (T-Bone Burnett), but some of his own licks are elegant, puchy, expressive and fit their songs so well.

aeolian
November 18th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Within my collection of CDs the Beatles is #1 with the most number, second is Elvis Costello. I agree with SunValley that My Aim Is True is a favorite, but so are Imperial Bedroom, Armed Forces, and many more. Third in my CD collection is likely Steely Dan, followed by China Crisis and Tears For Fears.

just strum
November 18th, 2007, 06:43 PM
I agree with SunValley that My Aim Is True is a favorite, ...

Whenever asked what I think is the best album/CD ever made, My Aim is True ranks right up there at the top (I can never determine just one all time best). Two others are Exile on Main Street and London Calling.

However when it comes to the three minute song, My Aim is True ranks at the top.

tjcurtin1
November 18th, 2007, 09:20 PM
King of AMerica is my favorite EC Disc - I got interested in him at that time, and am partial to his work from those years. I haven't kept up with him lately, but his music is always interesting. I'd love to see him live.

tot_Ou_tard
November 19th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Within my collection of CDs the Beatles is #1 with the most number, second is Elvis Costello. I agree with SunValley that My Aim Is True is a favorite, but so are Imperial Bedroom, Armed Forces, and many more. Third in my CD collection is likely Steely Dan, followed by China Crisis and Tears For Fears.
I've *always* loved Elvis Costello.

Imperial Bedroom is truly outstanding.

I remember going to a friends house as a teenager & her older sister was playing My Aim is True & I thought--who *is* that?

I've been hooked ever since.

R_of_G
November 19th, 2007, 08:30 AM
My personal fav of EC's albums is "Spike" [and no, not just bc it is one of the Elvis albums Marc Ribot plays on, though that helps].

What I like most about Elvis, besides the honesty of his voice which I love, is his versatility. There is no one "Elvis Costello sound," rather he writes and covers songs in a multitude of genres. The double album "Kojak Variety" is an excellent place to hear how versatile Elvis can be [from that album, I particularly like his cover of Dylan's "You're Gonna Make Me Lonseome When You Go."

aeolian
November 19th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Here's Elvis with a somewhat different rendition of Watching The Detectives (http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/tmp/wtdbb.mp3).

I don't know where this came from so I'll be taking it down again soon.