PDA

View Full Version : John Scofield on NPR

Sblack
November 18th, 2007, 12:07 PM
One of the greatest jazz players ever, John Scofield did a spotlight interview and appearance on NPR's Weekend Edition.
Check out the link:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16355507

Spudman
November 18th, 2007, 12:36 PM
I heard this today too. It was great to get some good interview material from Scofield. The new album is drawing my attention. Might have to get it soon.

R_of_G
November 18th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Like I said back in October, the album is excellent, and well worth the purchase whether you are already familiar with Sco or not.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4447&highlight=scofield%5C

Legendary jazz guitarist John Scofield has released a new album entitled "This Meets That." This album is another fine release from Sco. Great tone, great melodies, and a duet with Bill Frisell on "House of the Rising Sun." If you like Sco, this is another one to add to your collection. If you don't know Sco, check him out soon.

Adrian30
November 18th, 2007, 03:52 PM
I heard it last night and enjoyed it. +1 on his new album!

Robert
November 18th, 2007, 09:10 PM
I just paid for it and I am downloading it right now from Napster!

R_of_G
November 19th, 2007, 05:14 AM
I just paid for it and I am downloading it right now from Napster!

I am definitely thinking you will enjoy it Robert. It's not Sco's best, but it is another REALLY good album from the man.

hubberjub
November 27th, 2007, 10:01 AM
I love his work with Medeski Martin Wood. It's the funkiest thing since the Meters.

R_of_G
November 27th, 2007, 10:13 AM
I love his work with Medeski Martin Wood. It's the funkiest thing since the Meters.

The albums he has done with MMW are indeed awesome, however, I have one question for you, and if Tot is reading this, he knows where I'm headed... have you ever heard the band Zony Mash? As you may recognize, the name comes from the name of a Meters' song/album. They were based in Seattle, and feature the same organ/guitar/bass/drums instrumentation as MMW&Sco. I say this with the utmost respect for John Medeski who I think is awesome, if you haven't heard Wayne Horvitz play the B-3, you haven't heard anything yet. The person who first played me Zony Mash did so after we had been listening to a bunch of MMW with Marc Ribot, and I've never listened to an organ the same way again. If you like the Meters, this is DEFINITELY for you.:AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
November 27th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Beat me to it R o' G ;).

I've loved Sco' (& Jim Hall & ...) for probably 20 years, but his funky stuff with MMW is my favorite.