PDA

View Full Version : Jimi live at Monterey

tjcurtin1
November 18th, 2007, 04:19 PM
For you Jimi fans - just saw a review of a DVD just released of Jimi and the Experience at the Montery concert, remastered 5.1 sound and some bonus video from English concerts. It's on the Geffen label (maybe a subsiduiary) I think.

Robert
November 18th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Sweet, I should get that!

What other Jimi DVD's are a must? I don't have any.

Big_Rob
November 19th, 2007, 09:07 AM

Jimi live at Woodstock was straight up AWESOME! IMHO one of his best performances.

Jimi75
November 19th, 2007, 09:24 AM
I have seen the special edition of Monterey in a shop, but still had no time to buy it.

the "normal" Monterey was already a mindbreaking experience and if they managed to get that 5.1. sound they did for the Special Edition Woodstock DVD than this one is a must have, too!

Jimi was so excellent at Monterey, I mean the audience was not able to understand what was going on there, he played absolutely on his peak at that time and his singing is great at Monterey. Especially Hey Joe and Mary....

I have a lot of Jimi DVDs, but the best are Woodstock and Wild Blue Angel. I' gonna buy Monterey the next days.

The only thing you should leave your hands off is the Band Of Gypsys DVD that contains a lot of talking and only snippets of music.

Jimi75
November 19th, 2007, 09:28 AM

Hey Rob, get the Woodstock Special Edition DVD of Jimi, then turn up your surroundsound or TV very loud. I swear I did that and I believed Jimi was standing right in my TV room playing for me! Don't know how they did that?

R_of_G
November 19th, 2007, 09:31 AM
The only thing you should leave your hands off is the Band Of Gypsys DVD that contains a lot of talking and only snippets of music.

Not sure which B.O.G. dvd you've got Jimi75, but the one I have has plenty of music from the New Year's 1969/70 shows as extras. The documentary itself only shows some clips from the shows, but in the extras menu you can watch the black/white grainy footage of many songs from the legendary Band of Gypsys shows at the Fillmore.

I also enjoy the documentary itself as it addresses the whole Band of Gypsys project as Jimi's attempt to make music that would be more accessible to black fans than his Experience stuff. They talk a lot about how he wasn't really being promoted much on black stations despite incorporating more and more funk elements into his playing [particularly the straight-ahead 4/4 of Buddy Miles' drumming].

I wish they'd have interviewed some people a little more interesting than Lenny Kravitz or Slash, but they do spend plenty of time with Eddie Kramer, and have some good input from Buddy & Billy on that period in Jimi's career. All in all, it could be better, but I think it's a pretty interesting look at my personal fav time in Jimi's career.:Dude: