PDA

View Full Version : moving musical night, Garth Hudson

helliott
November 18th, 2007, 11:22 PM
My wife and I attended our local musical awards night at our city's theatre. It was a very moving evening, featuring some of the best of Canadian talent, including Lori Yates (country, alt country), Harrison Kennedy, (blues), a great hard rocking band called High Voltage (listen for them) and others.
Highlights that might resonate with some: Punk pioneers Teenage Head performed, and still have the nasty. And the marquis was Blackie and the Rodeo Kings doing a tribute to The Band. You probably know several of The Band's members are from this area of Canada, and sadly two met an untimely end (Richard Manuel and Rick Danko). But a survivor was on hand in Garth Hudson and he brought his mystical keyboards and piano to Hamilton for a tribute that consisted of The Weight, The Shape I'm In and I Shall Be Released. Garth's wife Maude sang soulful lead vocals while Rodeo Kings Tom Wilson, Stephen Fearing and Colin Linden provided amazing coverage with a host of other talented regional musicians pitching in.
A really magic moment came during the Dylan classic I Shall Be Released, when it sounded a lot like Stephen Fearing was channeling Rick Danko in one verse. Goosebump city.
Garth Hudson is a spry 70-year-old and can still play like that unique talent that was a major part of The Band's sound. Hearing him roll off The Weight, The Shape I'm In and in particular, the Dylan classic, was spooky. He was there for Big Pink. He lived it
All in all, a wonderful night, much of it dedicated to Richard Newell, aka, King Biscuit Boy, who some experts say was among the greatest blues harp players of all time, also a Hamilton guy.

Spudman
November 18th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Sounds like a memorable experience. They sure make life great.:beer:

pie_man_25
November 19th, 2007, 02:43 PM
man, I wish I could have been there, I love the band!

R_of_G
November 19th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Sounds like a great show. The Band is one of my all-time fav bands, and I have a huge amount of respect for Garth Hudson. Wish I could see him play sometime.:AOK: