PDA

View Full Version : Zoom G2.1U vs Digitech RP-250?

Big K
November 19th, 2007, 09:33 AM
in the market for a multi-effects unit, have it narrowed down to the Zoom or Digitech models above, any recommendation of one over the other or another unit I may have missed? looking for a unit to record digitally the Zoom includes some basic software and realize that I will need to add something to accommodate the Digitech box.

Lev
November 19th, 2007, 11:33 AM
I use the Zoom all the time as an FX unit with my amp and I love it. It's not without it's faults, the volume/wah pedal is flimsy & the interface can be very cumbersome to program. But tonewise it can be great if you spend some time with it. I don't use it for recording so can't comment on that aspect.

Big K
November 19th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I use the Zoom all the time as an FX unit with my amp and I love it. It's not without it's faults, the volume/wah pedal is flimsy & the interface can be very cumbersome to program. But tonewise it can be great if you spend some time with it. I don't use it for recording so can't comment on that aspect.

thanks for the info!

Big K
December 15th, 2007, 11:17 AM
any other opinions?

Duff
December 24th, 2007, 01:23 PM
I have the RP350 and it is awesome. The 250 has a usb output to the computer too I think. This usb out works great, very high quality. The models are unbelievable and highly adjustable.

The 650 has xlr outs for recording thru a usb interface. I have a Lexicon Omega. You can record stereo guitar with the stereo effects on the 350. I think the 250 is the same or very similar.

It is an awesome pedal. I preferred it way over the zooms that were in the same price range. Very few have usb outs.

Good luck. Hope you pick the RP250 or 350, you will be glad. The waw waw pedal is unbelievable. Way better than my cry baby. It is also a volume pedal and expression pedal for some other effects.

It is an unreal pedal. Highly enjoyed by me. Might not be heavy duty enough, etc. for a professional, but great for amateur use.

Big K
December 24th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the info Duff:

I gave the option of selection to youngest daughter so I won't know until opening up either this evening or tomorrow morning... and may end up with something entirely different (22 year old minds work a little differently) since GC is the obvious local shopping merchant, I would assume it should be a Digitech...

Big K
December 25th, 2007, 10:18 AM
The RP-250 was inside the box, looks to be a well made piece... any modified pre-sets anyone would like to share are appreciated....

oldguy
December 25th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Big K, I have the RP-250, and usually use it to record to computer.
While I have a few modified presets, the very first thing I would suggest you do
(once you're done playing w/ it for awhile), is get on the Digitech website and get the download that allows you to modify your presets on your computer. It's so much easier you won't believe it, plus you have control over more parameters than just by tweaking the knobs on the unit.
Doing it this way also allows you to save any presets you come up with, you can store 'em on the computer until you want them on your /250, then send them to the unit as you want.
The user's site has tons of other folks presets you can download and try out, keep, store, etc.
I think you'll like it alot. Be sure to do the download step by step, in the order it's given, or you'll have trouble and have to do-over... or so I've been told.:D

Big K
December 25th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Big K, I have the RP-250, and usually use it to record to computer. While I have a few modified presets, the very first thing I would suggest you do (once you're done playing w/ it for awhile), is get on the Digitech website and get the download that allows you to modify your presets on your computer. It's so much easier you won't believe it, plus you have control over more parameters than just by tweaking the knobs on the unit. Doing it this way also allows you to save any presets you come up with, you can store 'em on the computer until you want them on your /250, then send them to the unit as you want.

thanks OG, had an hour today to goof around with it (between blowing/shoveling snow), agreed the demo interface on their site sure makes more sense than trying to tweek the knobs on the unit. I will download that before going any further. I was running it thru my Valve Jr Combo (volume set around 10:00) will need to go back to a tamer preamp tube that has more headroom as most of the factory presets sound very much alike. I think that the tube is breaking up before the modded input sounds make their way to the speaker. I think with a little tamer tube it will be a very useful effects unit. Also need to try it thru my AD30VT on one of the cleaner amp models. Hopefully I can tweek myself about 10-15 usable patches and I'll be more than happy.

oldguy
December 25th, 2007, 06:31 PM
I had the same thing going on w/ mine, K. I had to lower the master output on the RP to get rid of the breakup if I used any presets w/ lots of gain/OD when going thru my V.Jr.
When recording into the computer using Audacity, I usually set each preset by tweaking knobs, but didn't save them, 'cause once the recording was done, I wanted them the way they were used w/ the amp.
You'll find some goood sounds in there. I think doing the setup on-screen w/ the Digitech program will help alot once you get used to it. :beer:

Big K
December 25th, 2007, 07:05 PM
OldGuy: thanks for the tip... I have a pretty hot JJ preamp tube that starts to clip at around 12:00 on the volume knob, so with a little weaker tube and a little less output should make the RP as versatile as my Vox.. and a whole lot easier/faster to just switch patches than tweak knobs and stomp boxes...

I need to pick up a rudimentary computer recording program in the next few weeks.. sugestions?

oldguy
December 25th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Audacity. The learning curve isn't too steep, if you download the added plugins, you can export in WAV, mp3, etc., it's free, and a good way to get acquainted w/ PC recording.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

From here, you can go to the "help" tab and check out the tutorials, FAQ's, etc.

Big K
December 25th, 2007, 08:31 PM
thanks for helping a fellow OG out into the world of recording..... the price is definitely sweet...... :master: :AOK: right

oldguy
December 25th, 2007, 08:49 PM
You bet, K. With the RP's onboard drums, some presets, and a little practice, you can build songs on Audacity that sound really good.
When you're ready you can download some backing tracks and find some great tools to practice with, between the RP and Audacity's plugin effects, you'll be turning out some sweet tunes before you know it.:D

LowEndWonder
December 27th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Zoom Hands Down!:AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
January 9th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Bump, I'm thinking about getting a amp-sim pedal to take traveling with me.

Most important qualities:

good clean -> slightly hairy amp tone
Nice drum machine with shuffles
tuner

the rest is gravy.

street music
January 9th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I'll give a vote for the Zoom pedal, I really like mine.

Big K
January 9th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Digitech RP-250 or one of the newer model ones...

Robert
January 9th, 2009, 08:03 PM
My vote is for the Zoom.

tot_Ou_tard
January 9th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Digitech RP-250 or one of the newer model ones... The 250 seems too big for convenient traveling with the expression pedal. I think the RP150 is the one competing with the Zoom G2.