PDA

View Full Version : Tried some nice guitar amps yesterday

Robert
November 19th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Marshall 1974x - sounds insanely good - just like my 18 watt Heatseeker! The cabinet in the 1974x is great and so is the tremolo - very sweet. The amp is top notch, but mine sounds almost the same but costs a lot less...:AOK:

Marshall Vintage Modern 50w combo - this amp does both vintage tones as well as modern tones. I really liked this amp. It's a one channel amp but it has a sort-of boost function, which I think kicks in an extra tube. The results is "ooomph-to-the-bone!" This amp is killer. Check it out guys.

Orange Tiny Terror - nice, but I played it through an Orange 1x12 and it sounded very boxy and "tiny" (excuse the pun). I bet it would sound big through a 4x12. It had a nice tone, but you had to pretty much max out the amp volume wise to get those happening tones. On the other hand, it didn't seem very loud, so it's not gonna blow your ear drums. This amp is 7/15 watts (switchable) but even at 15 watts, it's way quieter than my Heatseeker. It didn't impress me at all on the 7 watt setting (no "terror" happening...;) ).

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - great little amp with lots of volume and great clean tones. Great grab and go amp. Personally, I'd pick a good Marshall though (like those mentioned above), just because I'm a bit tired of the Fender sound.

There you go; my little mini-review from my guitar store hogging trip! :Dude:

Tone2TheBone
November 19th, 2007, 04:18 PM
You need that 100 watt Marshall amp more than ever Rob.

LagrangeCalvert
November 19th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I was expecting the Orange to be the best in the bunch....damn that sucks. That 1974X is a great little amp....the aged greenbacks make that combo sing.

I agree, the Orange amps that I have played their cabs have sounded bland and deff. not alive IMHO.

Man....you make that heatseeker sound awesome. How does it compare to marshal/brit rock'n'roll sound?.....I might want to get one.

Robert
November 19th, 2007, 04:26 PM
The Heatseeker sounds like an old-school Plexi. Not that much crunch with single coils, just a big fat tone. Definitely not like JCM-800. No, it sounds very much like the Blues Breaker or 1974x. With humbuckers, it will roar.

Now THIS is what we boys all need .... -> Marshall 1959SLP (http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=1959SLP)

abraxas
November 19th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Nice collection of amps! :AOK:

The 1974x as well as the head version are perhaps the best Marshalls in production, at least for my taste. You can sit down with just a guitar and a damn cable, and discover that you are too busy savoring the TONE, to notice that 2 hours have passed. :)

Robert
November 19th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Yeah, abraxas, that's why I love my Heatseeker... cause it sounds just as good as the 1974x, only less expensive and no tremolo.