PDA

View Full Version : I now declare this space a Keyboard Free Zone!

abraxas
November 19th, 2007, 06:06 PM
After pondering on such a possibility for quite a while, I decided to bite the bullet and finally got myself a Roland GR-20 guitar synth!

http://www.roland.com/products/en/GR-20/index.html

I uploaded a song on my Myspace profile, named "Rules of Contact", which has exactly zero keyboard stuff (at last!). Tell me how you like it (or not!).

More info on the exciting GR-20 to follow. :Dude:

Robert
November 19th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Cool! I've been wanting a guitar synth my whole life! Now I can start asking you a million questions.... :D

just strum
November 19th, 2007, 07:45 PM
abraxas,

Very impressive, I like the tune and the synth. Nice guitar playing.

One of Robert's first questions may be "Can I borrow it?":D

SuperSwede
November 20th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Ahhhh... I am jealous! I want one too.. please :-)

abraxas
November 20th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Thanks you all!

This is a quite sweet piece of gear, once you get over the hype and initial excitement. It IS a valuable musical tool that has nothing to do with keyboard synths.

At last, guitar synths are rather affortable, it seems only yesterday when I was a 20 y.o. kid and those things used to cost several times more than my car (which wasn't much of a car, btw, but you get my point :D )

I shall return with more info and remarks. Meanwhile if anybody wants to ask any specific question please do. :)

SuperSwede
November 20th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Question: How good does the GR-20 track? (latency?)

abraxas
November 20th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Question: How good does the GR-20 track? (latency?)

Answer: it tracks perfectly as long as you adjust the midi pickup correctly (which I haven't done perfectly, but more on that later) and as long as you adjust the dynamics of the particular instrument preset the way you want it.

Robert
November 20th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Can I borrow it? :D

abraxas
November 20th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Can I borrow it? :D

Yep! Certainly! Get in line Robert (currently about a dozen friends are on the waiting list!) :D :D

SuperSwede
November 20th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Question: could you please record some of the electric guitar patches? I´m curious to hear if Roland have improved their guitar samples since the JV-1010 that I had.

abraxas
November 20th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Question: could you please record some of the electric guitar patches? I´m curious to hear if Roland have improved their guitar samples since the JV-1010 that I had.

I'm afraid you will be dissapointed by them. The bass patches are good though. On the other hand I could never understand the logic of a distorted el. guitar sound on a synth... c'mon, I already have a nice distorted tone if I want!

SuperSwede
November 20th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Just curious you know... Some of the acoustic guitars were quite good though...

abraxas
November 20th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Just curious you know... Some of the acoustic guitars were quite good though...

OK, I'll try to find some time today or tommorow evening! :AOK:

SuperSwede
November 20th, 2007, 12:04 PM
OK, I'll try to find some time today or tommorow evening! :AOK:

Satisfied Answer: Thank you :)

Robert
December 6th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Hey, how's that synth holding up? I'm thinking about getting one, since I can't play keys very well. Might as well fake the keyboards and plays synth guitar?

What other options are there? GR30, GR33, etc?