PDA

View Full Version : Finger tip care - callused care

Justaguyin_nc
March 9th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Ok, probably a dumb question... I have a problem with callused buildup on my finger tips which as you know will effect the sound of playing.. whats your secret in keeping the tips of your fingers from drying out and having that occassional Hard sound note pressed down? I work outside so my hands usually stay pretty dry and hard even with some lotion..

Tone2TheBone
March 9th, 2006, 11:17 AM
How will callused fingers affect the sound of playing?

Justaguyin_nc
March 9th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Well in my case... the strings indent into them..:) so when I go to change chords they usually stick or I cannot set them into the next chord... that make sense? Plus all the dead skin hanging up.. seems to happen alot even if you pull it all off... ewwwww... heck T2TB you been playing so long you probably don't even remember getting callused....:)

Tone2TheBone
March 9th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Well in my case... the strings indent into them..:) so when I go to change chords they usually stick or I cannot set them into the next chord... that make sense? Plus all the dead skin hanging up.. seems to happen alot even if you pull it all off... ewwwww... heck T2TB you been playing so long you probably don't even remember getting callused....:)

Yeah I know man. I guess thats why I wondered! Actually the other day some dry skin at the edge of my 3rd finger was snagging on the B string as I was bending the G so I bit some of it off. Quick fix worked like a charm. :R

Tim
March 9th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Ok, here’s what I do. Here’s what I do avoid the impression that I give myself pedicures. When walking along inside walls or outside a building I rub my finger tips on them. Most walls have some coarseness to them. Especially the outside concrete buildings. I a matter of a minute or to all for fingers have been smoothed down. If I forget to do the above, I just get some sandpaper from the garage and smooth it all out. I tried my wife’s elbow stone but it is not course enough to handle the finger calluses.

Tone2TheBone
March 9th, 2006, 01:40 PM
....you guys are really serious about this aren'tcha?

Justaguyin_nc
March 10th, 2006, 01:10 AM
:) Well..actually I had just been playing a song right before this post and got upset abit because of scraping the tips across strings... heck, who knows maybe it will lead to emry boards and sessions at the salon being posted... Might find out surgical gloves makes for the best callused laden hands..

Tone2TheBone
March 10th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Yeah maybe dood. Just do us a favor though....if you find you have to use polish to enhance those salon fingers please make it black...at least you will still look cool. :) ;)

r_a_smith3530
March 10th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Moisturizing helps too. Try to find some Shea Butter, and rub that deep into the calluses.

SuperSwede
March 10th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Just let them be, they will soon be hard as a rock. Then you can play for hours without feeling anything ;)

Tim
March 10th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Stevie Ray says to keep playing. If the tips start coming off, just super glue them back on. I am sure he did that a lot with .013 strings.

Justaguyin_nc
March 10th, 2006, 07:42 PM
heh, I havent felt anything for a while SS... that's what got me agitated... deadskin messing with my already messed sounds...lol.. hmmm...superglue... maybe dipping them into the glue before starting and then blow drying them will make a nice seal on that dead skin...

Katastrophe
March 10th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Just keep playing! It's a pain in the butt, but you'll wear the calluses down eventually. I kinda have these permacalluses now, but if one develops a ragged edge, a nail clipper and some sandpaper or an emeryboard will do the trick.

warren0728
March 11th, 2006, 02:12 AM
emory boards are for girls....try a dremel! :D

ww

Tim
March 11th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Warren, I am shocked by your statement that you use a Dremel for your calluses. The more acceptable maintenance technique for removing calluses, and oh by the way, trimming the fingernails (all at the same time) is a belt sander with 6o grit paper. Now that’s a man’s home pedicure process. If you are also into painting the nails then purchase a can of Premium Rust-Oleum fast drying spray paint. It can be purchased in many colors to match your guitar or amph.

SuperSwede
March 11th, 2006, 10:07 AM
I have found that a few scratches on a cheese grater gives instant gratification.

warren0728
March 11th, 2006, 10:12 AM
tim: you are correct...belt sanders are great...but hard to carry in your "man bag" that's why i went with the dremel!

ss: cheese graters are only used for amphs and wiping!

ww :D

duhvoodooman
March 11th, 2006, 10:17 AM
I'm a chemist by training, and I have two words for all of you--sulfuric acid. Hey, if it's good enough for mobsters to remove their fingerprints, it's good enough for me! Just wash it off before you see bone....

Tim
March 11th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Warren - that's why you have a roadie. He carries all your equipment.

VooDoo - You are on tough man. Acid on the fingers. Man, I thought it was for someting else.

Justaguy - Waren gave you the best solution. Go buy a Vox amph and all you need to do is run you fingers across the amph's grill.

Now that is what I call brain storming.

warren0728
March 11th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Warren - that's why you have a roadie. He carries all your equipment.
does it have to be a "he"? :D

Justaguyin_nc
March 11th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Ahhh..that's why VOX put the grater there.... Man, they are always ahead of the pack on innovations!!

Tim
March 11th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Warren - How about a "roadie-et". You develop the job performance description.

Bigbear
March 26th, 2006, 08:15 PM
I actually burn the tips of my fingers with knives i heat with the stove element... its true guys... works like a charm... i always got nice smooth but stiff finger tips...

I quess i'm just that hardcore...

ugh... just went back and read Vood00s acid solution... maybe my way isn't so bad *** anymore.

I think we're both on the quest for SRV's golden fingers.

ZoSo65
March 26th, 2006, 08:49 PM
emory boards are for girls....try a dremel! :D

ww
LOLOL :D on highest speed setting works best!