PDA

View Full Version : Another clean boost thread

Tone2TheBone
November 20th, 2007, 04:57 PM
We've got a couple of great threads concerning specific "boost" pedals that some of you guys use. I wanted to start a new one that addresses HOW you guys are using them.

I read one comment from someone here at the Fret that said they didn't know how they ever lived without pushing the signal like that before. I've also read from other users at other forums expressing their appreciation for such a device.

I've had one for years, since the 80s. It's the MXR Micro Amp. I used it primarily to kick the *** of the preamp of my Marshall to induce complete and utter saturation. Worked well for that but now I'm rediscovering that it is a great signal booster...especially useful when in line with several pedals on my pedal board. While any audible evidence of signal degradation from the entire pedal chain isn't clearly discernable I can very easily hear the overall improvement of signal and tone while the Micro Amp is engaged. The only time I don't use the boost is when I'm using the high gain Guv'nor Plus pedal. I could still keep the Micro Amp on while using the Guv but I'd need to reduce the gain knob down somewhat. With everything else it cleans up the sound and gives it that little nudge for clarity. Nowadays there are many different types of boost pedals and for those of you who use them tell us what they are and more specifically how you're running them.

Robert
November 20th, 2007, 05:15 PM
I use my 19 Sixty 3 into my tube amp, boosting the signal quite a bit. I have my amp set on fairly low/medium gain. I am not using the boost pedal with OD pedals, although there have been exceptions...

I have a Micro Amp too, but the 19 Sixty 3 kicks its booty. You can get one from www.gtrwrks.com

So, what I do is use the 19 Sixty 3 on clean sounds 100% of the time, hitting the preamp section with a hotter signal.

For OD/Distortion, I don't use the 19 Sixty 3, but I turn up the volume on my OD/Distortion pedal so the signal going to the amp is the same as with the 19 Sixty 3. That way I have balanced volume, although for both settings (clean/dirty) the signal going to the amp is way hotter than without pedals.
Makes sense?

Tone2TheBone
November 20th, 2007, 05:23 PM
I use my 19 Sixty 3 into my tube amp, boosting the signal quite a bit. I have my amp set on fairly low/medium gain. I am not using the boost pedal with OD pedals, although there have been exceptions...

I have a Micro Amp too, but the 19 Sixty 3 kicks its booty. You can get one from www.gtrwrks.com

So, what I do is use the 19 Sixty 3 on clean sounds 100% of the time, hitting the preamp section with a hotter signal.

For OD/Distortion, I don't use the 19 Sixty 3, but I turn up the volume on my OD/Distortion pedal so the signal going to the amp is the same as with the 19 Sixty 3. That way I have balanced volume, although for both settings (clean/dirty) the signal going to the amp is way hotter than without pedals.
Makes sense?

Now why would I want a 19 Sixty 3 when I've got the original Micro Amp! :D

Both provide the same boost. One is marketed as being the preamp of a classic American tube amp. :whatever: Both provide the same boost.

Yes you stated that you don't use the boost with your distortions as I don't. Of course that makes sense duh.

Any other members using boosts?

Robert
November 20th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I have used my boost pedal with my Bad Monkey for some searing lead tones. I like doing that once in a while.

The Micro Amp is good, but the tone from the 19 Sixty 3 is even better, in my ears.

Spudman
November 20th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Laugh at me if you must but I've found a gem in the Behringer PB100 (http://www.behringer.com/PB100/index.cfm?lang=eng). It has separate bass and treble knobs as well as volume. I usually run everything on it at 12 o'clock, but sometimes if I am playing a fat humbucker equipped guitar I'll roll off some lows and maybe add a little sparkle if it needs it, or if I'm playing a Strat or Tele I'll add some bottom. Very handy not to have to walk back to the amp to do this.

Not only is it incredibly cheap but it's also very quiet and I leave it on all the time.

I run mine after all the distortions and driver pedals, but before any modulations, delay and looper. It seems to bring out the best of everything. The guitar is more responsive and all the distortions are way better sounding than without it on. I'm not really trying to 'slam' the front of the amp with it. I'm using it to improve any signal degradation that may exist with running a long chain of pedals. It's just a bit hotter with it on than off, but it does make the distortions roar when it is on.

I can't believe I've never used one until this year.

duhvoodooman
November 20th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Laugh at me if you must but I've found a gem in the Behringer PB100 (http://www.behringer.com/PB100/index.cfm?lang=eng).
Well, I'm not laughing, I'm grinning, 'cuz I just bought one of those for $20 on eBay not two hours ago! :D Tone and I started PM'ing about clean boost pedals earlier today, which is what prompted him to start this thread, I'd guess. I've had good luck with other Behringer pedals, and they're amazingly cheap, so I thought I'd try the PB100. Hope I like it as much as you obviously do, Spuds.

And while I was in the eBay seller's store, they also had one of THESE (http://www.behringer.com/fx600/index.cfm?lang=eng) for $22, so I picked up one of them, too. What the heck-- a flanger, chorus, phaser, delay, tremolo and pitch shifter, all in one pedal?!? That works out to $3.67 per effect type! :eek: Even if only one or two of them sounds good, it's worth that pittance....

Tone2TheBone
November 20th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Spud those functions are similar to the Xotic RC Booster pedal. Of course a less inexpensive version but if YOU dig it I ain't laughin'. Might be that you and Voo may be laughing yourselves to the bank with the Behringer! :)

mrmudcat
November 21st, 2007, 11:09 AM
Tube screamers in front both vintage ts9 and a reissue 808 modded(monte allums) ym 308 for some clean boost.Sometimes with a modded boss compression/sustainer in front........as far as distortions/fuzzes I have all the classics of course and also a few made for me boutiques.If you have a specific one you want to know about let me know:AOK:

Tone2TheBone
November 21st, 2007, 11:18 AM
I brought the question up for general discussion for those that might want to learn more about clean boosts. If you want to expand your answers by all means do so for the benefit of the members.

mrmudcat
November 21st, 2007, 11:48 AM
I brought the question up for general discussion for those that might want to learn more about clean boosts. If you want to expand your answers by all means do so for the benefit of the members.

Perhaps I misunderstood ,I thought you asked what pedals we use for clean boosts and how we use them?? I did not expand on the distortion/fuzzes cause the thread was about clean boosts. In front(vague at best) meant just guitar, boost, amp and not in the effects loop on the amp. I never compress the T.S..:puke:

Seems I totally messed up :messedup:

Tone2TheBone
November 21st, 2007, 12:02 PM
Perhaps I misunderstood ,I thought you asked what pedals we use for clean boosts and how we use them?? I did not expand on the distortion/fuzzes cause the thread was about clean boosts. In front(vague at best) meant just guitar, boost, amp and not in the effects loop on the amp. I never compress the T.S..:puke:

Seems I totally messed up :messedup:

No no problem. I just wanted to clarify that I started it for discussion's sake. I didn't personally need to know how clean boosts are used I use it quite often. If other members here use them maybe they could tell everyone else how they're used in their own applications. I'm like the devils advocate of clean boosts or something. ;)

mrmudcat
November 21st, 2007, 12:14 PM
Gotcha brother!:beer:

Moshe
December 3rd, 2007, 03:18 PM
I use my Boss Blues driver as *almost* a clean boost by running the gain on zero and the level on 10.

OK, well it's not really clean, but it sure is tasty.:) :drool:

aeolian
December 3rd, 2007, 08:46 PM
I'm watching this thread like a hawk. I am looking for a slightly overdriven tone without massive distortion.

I find out that my tube amp cannot be pushed into overdrive unless it is way too loud for playing in the house so I'm looking for a clean boost too. I am particularly interested in the Fulltone Fulldrive2 and the OCD. I'm still trying to understand why some people insist on the OCD instead of the Fulldrive2 because for about $15 more for the Fulldrive2 it seems like I get a lot more features. Maybe someone here has insight on these and other pedals.

Moshe
December 3rd, 2007, 09:42 PM
I'm watching this thread like a hawk. I am looking for a slightly overdriven tone without massive distortion.

I find out that my tube amp cannot be pushed into overdrive unless it is way too loud for playing in the house so I'm looking for a clean boost too. I am particularly interested in the Fulltone Fulldrive2 and the OCD. I'm still trying to understand why some people insist on the OCD instead of the Fulldrive2 because for about $15 more for the Fulldrive2 it seems like I get a lot more features. Maybe someone here has insight on these and other pedals.

A clean boost will not help you overdrive your amp at lower volumes. The setting on the amp will be lower but it will still be LOUD. You need an attenuator to help with that problem.

From what I can tell from youtube vids the OCD sounds way better. But it depends on taste I guess. It seems like the OCDs are run through marshalls to give you kick *** rock sounds and the Fulldrive through fendery amps to give you SRVish sounds, The fulldrive tones sound compressed to me while the OCD seems to have more harmonics in the sound.

Spudman
December 3rd, 2007, 10:08 PM
I have a FDII. Great pedal but the Bad Monkey believe it or not comes so very close some times I can't tell them apart. You can bypass the compression on all the Fulldrive IIs. They have a switch.

Aeolian - try a Keely modded BD2. It will do it all from clean boost to heavy distortion.

birv2
December 4th, 2007, 08:16 AM
I'm using a Behringer OD100 as a "clean" boost. Same scenario: gain all the way down, level up to taste. Sounds good to me, and not very expensive ($20 for the pedal new).

Bob

duhvoodooman
December 4th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Just before Thanksgiving I took delivery of a Behringer PB100 Preamp/Booster, and it does a nice clean boost. Hard to beat for $20 plus shipping off eBay! I've also found it useful in conjunction with an OD or distortion pedal to "goose" it into greater distortion for soloing. :rockon:

tot_Ou_tard
December 4th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Last night I received a Barber launch pad from my Mom as an Xmas present (she had hint). I had to try it as it can be returned within 48 hours...

http://www.barberelectronics.com/LaunchPad.htm

Woooo doggy did I have fun.

The clean boost into my Fender Champion 600 was sweet, but the killer was using it to run the 600 at the same time as the VOX AD30VT. The VOX the gives tight bass that the 6 in speaker on the 600 misses. (This is all at basement volumes.)

I tried the Boutique Clean and the AC30 TB on the VOX together with a nice, rich, & saturated 600 (with yummy NOS tubes giving up the harmonic glory) really fun.

Next is plexi, & boutique OD, & ...

The clean boost by itself is stellar. There is sumpin' called amp cooking (or gain staging) where you boost the amp until it starts to break up & then back up just a bit on the boost.

Now you are ready to limn the crunchy english muffin of tone rich with hidden nooks and crannies of distortion. ;)

Gotta' go back to the lab...se y'all in a coupl'a days ;).

But what do I know? I'm just a newb.