PDA

View Full Version : Learning About Pedals

just strum
November 20th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I have no clue what you people are talking about when it comes to the posts made in this thread. I am not familiar with pedals and therefore find it difficult to follow.

In order to get a better idea of what is being discussed I was hoping I could find a site that had a large variety of audio samples, but I've had no luck. Does anyone know of a site that exists that offers a variety of samples?

Also, when I first joined this forum I asked about pedals that are being used on the owners of the ad30vt or ad50vt, but I cannot locate the thread and I don't recall the amount of response I received (I think I may have hijacked another thread). So, what pedals are you people using with your ad30vt or ad50vt?

jasongins
November 20th, 2007, 06:58 PM
I would suggest going to the guitar effects section at musiciansfriend.com. A great many of the pedals offered for sale have sound sample files, so it may give you an idea what they do. Digitech.com has demos for a great many of their pedals, and more than one sample per pedal. This may also give you an idea what the various effects do. Now if I could just find a pedal that would make my playing sound like some of the samples....

Spudman
November 20th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Jason's idea is a good one. If you find a pedal that you are interested in many manufacturers have samples on their sites. Youtube also has many people demoing just about everything out there, and the guys that mod pedals often have the stock pedal sound as well as the modded sounds for you you listen too.

duhvoodooman
November 20th, 2007, 08:38 PM
While I certainly believe in listening, I also believe in reading. HERE'S (http://www.geofex.com/effxfaq/fxfaq.htm) a good place to start....

tot_Ou_tard
November 20th, 2007, 09:11 PM
First you need to feel a need for a particular type of pedal JustStrum.

If you aren't saying to yourself...

"I keep tweaking the knobs & I'm just not satisfied because I can't get ....

(description of sound that weakens your knees & makes you tear up with happy joy)

"

then you don't need a pedal.

If you feel that hole deep in your tone-soul, then you are cursed (but in good company) as you will wander the pedal/amp/guitar wastelands calling out to your version of Beatrice through all 7 of gates of tone.

..& then you'll die ;).

Spudman
November 20th, 2007, 10:43 PM

(description of sound that weakens your knees & makes you tear up with happy joy)

"

If you feel that hole deep in your tone-soul, then you are cursed (but in good company) as you will wander the pedal/amp/guitar wastelands calling out to your version of Beatrice through all 7 of gates of tone.

..& then you'll die ;).

Dood! You slay me. :rotflmao: :D

mrmudcat
November 21st, 2007, 10:44 AM

"

..& then you'll die ;).

classic:rotflmao:

mrmudcat
November 21st, 2007, 10:49 AM
Voodoos post is good!! Read and learn about the different effects and in what order to run them in for the best overall sound/tone.Then decide where you want to start. Everyone should have a distortion/overdrive type pedal so this would be a logical point.:Dude:

Also a good wah is a must so maybe one of these:beer:

just strum
November 21st, 2007, 11:09 AM

"

..& then you'll die ;).

It's this type of response that caused me to miss you during your absence - I think:whatever: :) Always good info, but a different approach in stating it.:)

It's really not a case of "do I need one?" It's more of just getting an understanding of what all these pedals do. Overall I got some good responses.

Being unfamiliar with these things it's difficult to know something is missing, if I don't know it exists.

just strum
November 21st, 2007, 08:16 PM
Well, listened to a lot of audio clips and started reading the site VDM noted. Right now I figured out one thing, once your guitar and amp money is spent, there are other things you can buy and at a wide price range.

tjcurtin1
November 21st, 2007, 09:31 PM
you will wander the pedal/amp/guitar wastelands calling out to your version of Beatrice through all 7 of gates of tone.

Man! First it was Spudman and Gilgamesh, now it's Tot and Dante! This is a regular scholars' circle!

Adrian30
November 21st, 2007, 10:12 PM
It's more of just getting an understanding of what all these pedals do. Overall I got some good responses.

Being unfamiliar with these things it's difficult to know something is missing, if I don't know it exists.

check www.bossus.com go to compact pedals and look for audio samples.

tot_Ou_tard
November 26th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Man! First it was Spudman and Gilgamesh, now it's Tot and Dante! This is a regular scholars' circle!
So tj what'll you ante up next...Ovid's Metamorphoses?

Iago
November 26th, 2007, 04:35 PM
A good site with some boutique stuff: www.custom-sounds.com

fulltone's has great stuff: www.fulltone.com

another suggestion is:
A brazilian pedals and amps manufacturer called MG Music: www.mgmusic.net

Kazz
December 9th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I would suggest going to the guitar effects section at musiciansfriend.com. A great many of the pedals offered for sale have sound sample files, so it may give you an idea what they do. Digitech.com has demos for a great many of their pedals, and more than one sample per pedal. This may also give you an idea what the various effects do. Now if I could just find a pedal that would make my playing sound like some of the samples....

The only real problem with this is you have to install some software to be able to listen...I believe it was an apple product I forget...but I hate installing proprietary software.

The other issue I have with these sites is the clips used...they do not use the same piece of music for the dry and wet samples....That would really be helpful when comparing over drives or fuzz boxes or even wah pedals...use the same clip across the board so we can get an idea of the different colors applied to the palette.

That being said....Strum....I have 2 analog distortion pedals..a boss and a danelectro, as well as a boss eq and an RP80.....and I find that more times than not...I find myself yanking them out of the chain completely....and just using my tube amp and the built in distortion.....I guess its just the constant search for tonal nirvana.....I will say I totally dislike the RP80...that thing is useless if you ask me....only good for making funny noises...maybe its just not my thing.

What I would really like to do since I have an electronics degree is maybe build my own pedals.