PDA

View Full Version : Origin of the moon

Spudman
November 21st, 2007, 09:33 AM
Scientists have a new idea about the formation of the moon. Here is a great video explaining the recent theory. http://www.space.com/php/video/player.php?video_id=071120TugMoon

The interesting thing about this discovery is that it backs up the Epic of Gilgamesh, the Sumerian texts which are the oldest writings known to man. This Sumerian texts along with the current evidence in this video were all told by the German research scientist Zecharia Stichin a decade or so ago in his book series The Twelfth Planet. http://www.sitchin.com/

Fascinating stuff.

Tone2TheBone
November 21st, 2007, 09:41 AM
Veddy intaresstink.

Algonquin
November 21st, 2007, 11:52 AM
Veddy intaresstink.
Yes it was Artie! Veddy eeenteresting indeed. :AOK:

SuperSwede
November 21st, 2007, 12:04 PM
I thought that all REAL scientists knew that the moon was made of cheese.

Interesting links BTW..

Spudman
November 21st, 2007, 12:38 PM
I thought that all REAL scientists knew that the moon was made of cheese.

Interesting links BTW..

Yes, but what kind of cheese and where did it come from?:confused: Oh, never mind. I just figured out the answer....the Milky Way.:thwap:

Jimi75
November 21st, 2007, 01:04 PM
Specculazione amici! Specculazione!

SuperSwede
November 21st, 2007, 01:51 PM
Yes, but what kind of cheese and where did it come from?:confused: Oh, never mind. I just figured out the answer....the Milky Way.:thwap:

I´m not sure what kind of cheese... but perhaps someone of our VOX ADxxVT could use their GRATE(r) (oh no not again!!) fronts to shred some light on this subject.

tjcurtin1
November 21st, 2007, 02:32 PM
I gotta tell ya - where would you find a more erudite group of guitarists than here? On what other guitar forum (heck, make that 99% of forums, period) will you'll find a reference to (or interest in) the Epic of Gilgamesh and Sumerian mythology! :Dude: I love this place! BTW, SPudman, can you indulge us with a brief reference to the Sumerian version of the story? THANX!

LagrangeCalvert
November 21st, 2007, 03:37 PM
Yep....I'm an avid astronomer....I have a couple tele's *and not the kind that has strings* and a place where there is almost no light pollution.

My favorite theory is that Jupiter is a failed second star, and the SOL system would have been waaaay different.

This is Thread whiplash, but I'm also a HUGE Sci-Fi buff, and there are two authors that are GREAT.

Ben Bova.....look him up and all his work. IMHO he is a visionary AND also is more than a writer, hes a science man! The things he writes about happen about 30 years from now.....like his older books from the 60's and 70's.

Peter F. Hamilton.....His Nights Dawn trilogy (6 500+ page books here in the US) actually changed my view on religion/afterlife. I could be nuts and NO its not like Scientology <~~~no more religion talk before Robert is all over this.

So thats my .02 cents to our great community on science AND Writing...check it out!

warren0728
November 21st, 2007, 04:39 PM
(_|_)

Algonquin
November 21st, 2007, 05:09 PM
(_|_)

Warren Moon?... :D

Spudman
November 21st, 2007, 05:14 PM
:Dude: I love this place! BTW, SPudman, can you indulge us with a brief reference to the Sumerian version of the story? THANX!

Some where is is mentioned that Nibiru crashed into the earth. I can't remember the exact passage. Nibiru was another planet in the solar system. How would anyone 20,000 years ago know this? Makes you think eh?

From the web site:

Leave It The Way The Sumerians Had It
Says Author Zecharia Sitchin
Our solar system has only eight “classical” planets - so has decided the astronomer’s union, meeting in Prague. Pluto - still out there - must be laughing.
It is ironic - or, perhaps, symbolic - that the decision to deprive Pluto of its status as our sun’s ninth planet coincides with the 30th anniversary of the publication of my seminal work The Twelfth Planet in Autumn l976. In it I suggested that the Sumerian Epic of Creation is not an allegorical myth but a sophisticated cosmogony scientifically describing how our solar system came to be; and it most definitely included Pluto.
Inscribed on seven clay tablets, the text described how the inner and outer planets appeared; how an invading celestial body (“Nibiru”) collided with and broke up the planet ‘Tiamat’, creating “a new heaven;” and how Nibiru, captured in a great elliptical orbit, became the twelfth member of the Sun’s Family - Sun, Moon, and ten planets including Earth, Nibiru and Pluto. These ‘celestial gods’ were matched by a pantheon of twelve deities on Earth.
The reports from Prague at first suggested that astronomers were bothered by Pluto’s small size, now that a large icy body has been found farther out. But the final vote focused on what has troubled astronomers almost from Pluto’s discovery in 1930. Its unusual inclined orbit that weaves in and out of Neptune’s path.
This odd orbit has led some astronomers to speculate that Pluto began its life as a satellite, perhaps of Neptune. But what forceful event could have caused it to shift position and adopt a strange orbit? No one knew. But in The 12th Planet I wrote that the Sumerians of ancient Mesopotamia knew: Pluto (“GAGA” in the Epic of Creation) was indeed a moon of Saturn, pried off and sent into independent orbit by the invading Nibiru to play an important role in those celestial encounters.
In fact, the Sumerians were also aware that Gaga/Pluto ended up in the odd orbit next to Neptune. In the Sumerian pantheon, the planet we call Neptune was the celestial counterpart of the Aquarius god Enki. His ‘chancellor’ or ‘visier’ was nicknamed Ushmu, meaning “He ‘of two faces” - and so was he depicted, with one face looking at Enki and a second face looking away from him (Fig. 1) - exactly the way Pluto looks at Neptune.
http://www.sitchin.com/imagesB/ushmu.jpg
The Epic of Creation and other relevant Sumerian texts are supported by other pictorial depictions, such as the cylinder seal VA-243 in the Berlin Near Eastern Museum. (Fig.2). It shows the sun in the center (!), surrounded by eleven orbiting bodies that include the Moon, Pluto and the yet to be recognized “Planet X” -- Nibiru.
http://www.sitchin.com/images/akkad3.jpg
Sumerian knowledge of the origin and makeup of our solar system included a host of other aspects that modern science has been rediscovering in recent times. Here, suffice it to say: The Sumerians, counted Pluto as a member in good standing of our Sun’s Family; let it stay so.

ZECHARIA SITCHIN

just strum
November 21st, 2007, 05:22 PM
I was reading through this thread and wondered what a visitor coming here for the first time must be thinking.

I have to agree with tjcurtin1.

luvmyshiner
November 21st, 2007, 05:56 PM
I think I gotta go with Warren on this one.

:bootyshake:

tot_Ou_tard
November 21st, 2007, 06:21 PM
I don't know how accepted the 12th planet theory is in the scientific community.

...but speaking of Enki & Sumerian mythology I should tell you the story of Inanna & her dark sister Erishkegal, Queen of the Underworld, some day.

A fun rendering of this story (with a sci-fi spiritual journey-bent) is the excellent radio drama

Ruby 3 by ZBS productions.

http://www.zbs.org/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_23&products_id=243

Hear it, I beg ya'.

I knew all about the myth of Inanna many, many moons ago. Recently, someone turned me on to the ZBS radio dramas & I got Ruby 3 for my dad without knowing that it was based on this myth. My dad gave it to me when he was done.

You will have myths if ka wills it.